Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Supra TT x2

Quote Originally Posted by steveirl View Post
    I have always liked the Supra, and a short drive in a TT manual many years ago did not disappoint. They are rare enough but two in the one garage..fair play. Very interested in seeing details of the ACE experience.
    I went on the hunt for one to scratch an itch I had but it turned out to be a keeper, don't see myself selling the manual unless needs must in the future! It'll be very cheap driving on it once it turns classic in a couple more years

Got the TT6 dropped to ACE last week and got a little teaser photo as they began the strip.

Early comments from them are it's totally solid underneath and very easy to work on, nothing seized or rusted which is good to hear. I knew it was solid before buying after viewing a couple of rougher examples.

Decided to go with a bit extra work while it's there, engine and gearbox coming out too, engine bay will be assessed with engine out if it should be sprayed, think a thorough clean will suffice, engine fully cleaned and all metalwork will be vapour blasted. Vacuum lines all replaced with genuine gates reinforced rubber lines, not cheapo silicone lines. New radiator also has been ordered from the UK from TCB as when the car was being reviewed when I dropped it over we noticed a hairline crack in the rad.

Hopefully will have more photos over the coming few weeks

3aea31c4c1882b62d6830534181b39d0.0.jpg

Where are ACE based? From your comments.it sounds like they're actually doing the stripping the of the car to do the work on it.

I've an RX7 that needs Undersealing, engine bay painting and body work.

How long were you waiting to get the car in there?

Quote Originally Posted by Chawkie View Post
    Where are ACE based? From your comments.it sounds like they're actually doing the stripping the of the car to do the work on it.

I've an RX7 that needs Undersealing, engine bay painting and body work.

How long were you waiting to get the car in there?
    They are based in Wexford just outside New Ross, I've heard good things about there work but haven't personally used them until now.

Ace Motors Factors, check out their Facebook you'll see some examples of the work they do underneath cars.

But yeah they are stripping the car and doing all the work, they are mechanics who run an auto factors aswel, but have gotten into under car restorations in the last few years.

What type of bodywork does your RX7 require, I'm not sure if they do exterior bodywork or if they are set up for proper booth painting, I used another guy for my bodywork in Waterford.

The waiting list was approx 6 weeks or so to get it booked it and not sure on the timescale of how long it'll take but told them I'm in no rush as it's off the road for the winter anyway.

Great, might give them a call but keep an eye on your experience too.

FD is getting a ground up restore, engine bay is a bit Rusty around where the battery was so would like to get it all cleaned up before sticking the engine back in

We're they able to give a quote over the phone, they see the car first or is it purely by hour they bill?

Quote Originally Posted by Chawkie View Post
    Great, might give them a call but keep an eye on your experience too.

FD is getting a ground up restore, engine bay is a bit Rusty around where the battery was so would like to get it all cleaned up before sticking the engine back in

We're they able to give a quote over the phone, they see the car first or is it purely by hour they bill?
    They were able to give me a quote range on similar jobs they have done. I don't think they charge by the hour more on a job basis. They can give different prices for the level you want to go to, they can blast and seal with majority of parts in situ but seal will be all the one colour, original arms which were bare metal etc. will now be black or whatever colour you want.

Hopefully I should have more details on my car is in the next 1-2 weeks or at least some more photos. Dropping the last of the parts from Japan to them today.

Collected from ACE on the 23rd just before they closed up for Christmas.

Very happy with the results, had a massive smile when viewing it on the lift when I was collecting. I don't have any photos yet, he's forwarding all the photos they took during the process, I'll post some of those once I get them. Although their latest video on their Facebook is my car if anyone wants to see a video before I post photos.

My dad is going to book a car in with them around March time he was quite impressed with the work too but they're booked up until end of February the earliest now.

Just had a look at the video on their Facebook page.

I have to say their work look's pretty impressive.
    I'd say your delighted with the result and they seem to really like their JDM cars

What process do they go through generally speaking?

Do they take off any parts needing replacing and fit new bits?
    It looks like they paint the underside as well,do they also put on protection from rust etc.?

It's great to find a place like this that can do such top notch work.

Dont know how I missed this tread but Fair play Brian. The cars looks great, especially the white one. Ill make sure to follow this tread.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    Just had a look at the video on their Facebook page.

I have to say their work look's pretty impressive.
    I'd say your delighted with the result and they seem to really like their JDM cars

What process do they go through generally speaking?

Do they take off any parts needing replacing and fit new bits?
    It looks like they paint the underside as well,do they also put on protection from rust etc.?

It's great to find a place like this that can do such top notch work.
    Yeah delighted with it now, just waiting for the weather to dry up a bit more and I'll get it out.

Basically they will go to whatever detail you want, I got it fully stripped, everything underneath came out, and I told them what I wanted replaced and gave them some parts and they got the smaller bits like drop links etc. I supplied all the harder to source bits like bushes and shocks.

They painted underneath in the factory matte finish (don't know why it shows as a little shiny in the video) and applied a raptor coating I think is the name underneath to seal it

Basically everything underneath is new on it now apart from the suspension arm ball joints which were in very good condition anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Heilong View Post
    Dont know how I missed this tread but Fair play Brian. The cars looks great, especially the white one. Ill make sure to follow this tread.
    Thanks Chris, yeah really delighted with how it's turned out at least I know what work has been done, lads looking for £30k for ones in the UK with no work done underneath and can be a potential minefield, Supra generally hold up well but someone in the UK bought a £30k UK Supra from the North recently and it was badly rotten underneath!