Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Supra TT x2

Supra TT x2

I was on the look out for a Supra TT with a while, and 2 came up in quick succession so ended up buying both one manual (white) and one auto (silver). Auto box surprised me alot, very good box even by todays standards in my opinion.

Both are getting the following treatment to begin with anyway:

-Engine oil change
    -Gearbox oil change
    -Diff oil change
    -Spark plugs
    -Power steering fluid flush
    -Brake fluid flush
    -Crankshaft pulley and seal
    -Alternator belt
    -Timing belt, tensioner and idler
    -Caliper rebuilds and repaint
    -Discs skimmed and new pads
    -Front and rear drop links
    -Cam cover breather pipes
    -Respray/Plastidip interior dash trim, they mark easily so both need to be redone
    -Refurb alloys on manual one (Carlow Coatings done the work, very pleased with the finish)
    -New tires
    -New battery on auto one, came with an oversized ford battery

Automatic one was totally 100% stock with larger optional UK brakes front and rear including OEM 17" alloys. It has few issues that need addressing, tachometer isn't working, investigated that today, thought maybe someone swapped in a NA cluster at some point but removed cluster and its an original turbo cluster so investigation is still ongoing. Gearbox jerks into drive/reverse, possibly solenoids or linked to tachometer going on the info on the UK forums.

Manual one was 90% stock with the usual alloys, intercooler, cat back exhaust, air intake, side skirts and blow off valve fitted. I've since sourced an OEM side mounted intercooler, OEM TT airbox, OEM 17" alloys, OEM side skirt and arch trim and OEM blow off valve all waiting to be fitted, I'll leave the HKS cat back on it. Manual one is down with my body shop at the moment, had the usual boot lid rust on the lower corners so getting that sorted and decided to go with a full respray while it's there since there is some age related marks on nearly all panels and want the car perfect. Once its back I'll start with the mechanically side of things, second turbo is kicking in intermittently in 1st and 2nd gear due to collapse turbo link pipes, they are the first to be changed.

So this week I started with the automatic one and servicing, so far I've got the engine oil, gearbox oil (2L change as opposed to full 6-8L flush), power steering flush, spark plugs, caliper rebuilds and repaint done. Shot blasted the front brake disc splash guards too as they were badly rusted, will be painting those shortly. Waiting on car lift to be installed so currently working off axle stands, they aren't high enough to get the disc skimmer on them so will need to wait until lift is up. Still have the diff oil, timing belt, alternator belt and crankshaft pulley to do. Once the mechanical side is done, I'll drop it off to my body shop for the same treatment as the manual one

IMG_20180824_081631-1305x2320.jpgIMG_20180831_080931-1305x2320.jpgIMG_20180910_112935-1305x2320.jpgIMG_20180915_143111-1305x2320.jpgIMG_20180915_143119-1305x2320.jpg

looking forward to seeing this project unfold.
    Is the GTR your own?
    87 C 14613 Coming Soon To A Crossroads Near You...

I think I've a very good set of 3G front discs for the big brake set-up (still floating around somewhere) if you're ever stuck Brian.

There'd be some a few stock parts too, nothing of much interest, but might save you from having to buy new or look too far afield.

Give me a shout anytime if you're in need of something obscure, l just might be able to provide it!

Quote Originally Posted by gambit View Post
    looking forward to seeing this project unfold.
    Is the GTR your own?
    Thanks gambit, yeah the GTR is my own aswel!

Quote Originally Posted by pedrosixfour View Post
    I think I've a very good set of 3G front discs for the big brake set-up (still floating around somewhere) if you're ever stuck Brian.

There'd be some a few stock parts too, nothing of much interest, but might save you from having to buy new or look too far afield.

Give me a shout anytime if you're in need of something obscure, l just might be able to provide it!
    No problem thanks Pedro, I'm going to skim the discs first and see what thickness I'm left with once I get the lip completely gone and go from there I may be back onto you for the discs, I'd be interested in a few other bits if you had any of them:
    -Bootlid
    -All plastic interior boot trims
    -Chipboard and plastic boot liners (ones under carpet)
    -Original stereo (if not I'll just buy one out of halfords, auto one is missing a stereo)
    -Just general spares if you had them like suspension arms etc.

EDIT: Also need a drivers front electric seat if you have one, just standard Jap cloth seat is what I'm after
    Last edited by BrianC1; 18-09-2018 at 09:50 AM.

Good to hear you found "one" mate lol, did you get coil pack clips too? If they haven't been changed in a few years they can go, intermittent turbo could be other vacuum pipes as well. Again all can go in time. I changed them all in mine.

Quote Originally Posted by TuneR View Post
    Good to hear you found "one" mate lol, did you get coil pack clips too? If they haven't been changed in a few years they can go, intermittent turbo could be other vacuum pipes as well. Again all can go in time. I changed them all in mine.
    Checked all the coil pack clips, they all look good but probably will replace them once all the main jobs are done since they are pretty cheap from garagewhifbitz. Done a compression test on the auto when viewing and tightened everything back up ... misfire, assumed a clip or coil pack wasn't seated correctly, got it home and it was actually a crack/chip on the spark plug porcelain, was changing them all anyway. I'll change the turbo link pipes first and then inspect and replace the rest of the vacuum lines

Quote Originally Posted by BrianC1 View Post
    No problem thanks Pedro, I'm going to skim the discs first and see what thickness I'm left with once I get the lip completely gone and go from there I may be back onto you for the discs, I'd be interested in a few other bits if you had any of them:

-Bootlid Haha!
    -All plastic interior boot trims Baahaahaa!
    -Chipboard and plastic boot liners (ones under carpet) Actually, maybe
    -Original stereo (if not I'll just buy one out of halfords, auto one is missing a stereo) Not the original, but a double din "period correct" (read: old) came with mine.
    -Just general spares if you had them like suspension arms etc. Stuff like that I had upgraded over the years with polybushes etc, so was all snapped up when I broke the car

EDIT: Also need a drivers front electric seat if you have one, just standard Jap cloth seat is what I'm after Can't help on that front either Brian, mine was donated to another's project years ago
    I know I have a piece or two of trim left from the boot. The panel with the interior light for one, I'd need to check what else there is. Most of mine went to a member (Nuno) in Portugal.

Mostly what I'd have are small knick knacks that probably never break on a standard car but were of no use on a track car, hence why their removal.

There's a good pair of A pillar trims there, that's about all that's left from the cabin in terms of beautification.

Someday I'll gather all the remaining bits into one picture and you can scavenge for anything you need/want.

Same goes for you Ger.
    Last edited by pedrosixfour; 18-09-2018 at 11:14 AM.