Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off Road Declaration - How to get a few days grace

Off Road Declaration - How to get a few days grace

I just went to declare the Tuscan off the road for the winter online. As the tax expired on the 31st of August (3 days ago), I'm being told I have to renew the tax for min 3 months before I can declare it off the road, which seems mad!

Anyone faced this before and found a solution or do I have to dig deep and pay up because I wasn't organised enough to do this before the end of August?

Cheers!

Sell the car to your dog and the slate is wiped clean.

It’s a pain alright but that’s the system. No way around it. Only solution is to park her up and do nothing. At some stage over the winter change the ownership details into another persons name then when the reg cert comes back declare it off the road immediately. Transfer back to your name when you plan using it again and go from there.

You could pay the 3 months now then try claim a refund from end of September but very unlikely you will have success.

Yeah if you didnt declare it off the road before 1st September you'll have to pay least 3 months tax or as others have said change ownership.

yup has to be in tax i think for another month before you declare it off.
    they dont want you to "owe" even a single day... lol
    but yeah just do nothing and change the ownership.
    "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything" - The Wise Man

Quote Originally Posted by Neelie View Post
    yup has to be in tax i think for another month before you declare it off.
    they dont want you to "owe" even a single day... lol
    but yeah just do nothing and change the ownership.
    Isn't it a mad setup that is skewing motor vehicle ownership information on a lot of cars in this country. Another well thought out solution by the powers that be!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IrishTusc View Post
    I just went to declare the Tuscan off the road for the winter online. As the tax expired on the 31st of August (3 days ago), I'm being told I have to renew the tax for min 3 months before I can declare it off the road, which seems mad!

Anyone faced this before and found a solution or do I have to dig deep and pay up because I wasn't organised enough to do this before the end of August?

Cheers!
    If you walk into the motor tax office they will do it in person. I've done it before locally and they do give you a few days of leniency.

Quote Originally Posted by davemx-5 View Post
    If you walk into the motor tax office they will do it in person. I've done it before locally and they do give you a few days of leniency.
    Super, will give this a try! Thanks.

I'll be down the local tax office at 9am tomorrow looking for forgiveness!!!

Will let everyone know how it plays out!

Quote Originally Posted by davemx-5 View Post
    Wuhoo!

That worked, but it is just a few days of grace. Lovely lady explained that the system locks the option out after a few days of the month and that I was fortunate that the 1st of a month, fell on a weekend!

I owe you a few pints Dave!!! As that's unlikely to happen, PM if you support any charities! Happy to make a donation in your name!

Quote Originally Posted by IrishTusc View Post
    Wuhoo!

That worked, but it is just a few days of grace. Lovely lady explained that the system locks the option out after a few days of the month and that I was fortunate that the 1st of a month, fell on a weekend!

I owe you a few pints Dave!!! As that's unlikely to happen, PM if you support any charities! Happy to make a donation in your name!
    Fair play. Must keep this in mind