Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Impreza S5 WRC Replica

Morning all,

Sorry for the lack of updates. I have been tipping along but a new business venture has had me tied p over the last couple of months.

I have managed to finally get around to developing and producing the Twintex arch liners for the front wings. These worked out great and are a perfect fit with our carbon WRC front wings as they are laser cut for accuracy. The Twintex is also the exact same materiel (polypropylene & glass strand) that was used by Prodrive on their arch liners. Not only are they incredibly durable and light, but they give great protection to the underside of the wings, the door jams and the wiring looms. The images attached show them loosely fitted, as they do require some fixings to hold them in place.

IMG_8058 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

IMG_8061 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

IMG_8064 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

IMG_8065 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

IMG_8833 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

IMG_8836 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

IMG_8837 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

As viewed internally through the door jam...

IMG_8838 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

IMG_8840 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

IMG_8844 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

IMG_8846 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

IMG_8847 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

IMG_8848 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

An original Prodrive Twintex liner...

DSC02177 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

A little more done in the last couple of weeks on our own WRC replica. D/S spreader plates and seat bars are finally welded in and etch primed. Doesn't look like much for 6 hours work

IMG_8531 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

IMG_8532 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

IMG_8533 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

IMG_8536 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

IMG_8537 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

IMG_8538 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

IMG_8539 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

IMG_8540 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

IMG_8632 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

Here's a little update on one of customers cars too. This WRC replica using our Carbon panels was built just over a year ago. It has since been fitted with a set of gunmetal Speedline 2120's, a reverse bonnet vent, carbon mirrors and one of our S4/5 Carbon tarmac front splitter. I like how the splitter has been left as bare carbon... hard to see in pic all the same...

WHITES4 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

Hey all,

Sorry for another long spell between posts. the below is an update from back at the start of the June... just forgot to update this thread.

What I have managed to do, was develop the S5 vents though. Once again, the original GRP ones I had were appalling quality.

Over the years I've looked at different types from different suppliers and I've never come a cross a set that I'd have been happy to fit. The biggest mistake with a lot that are fitted on cars, whether it's a replica or even on a genuine Prodrive car, is that a lot of them get bonded direct to the bonnet and then blended in. As you can see from the following pictures, this is the wrong way to do it. They should be countersunk in to the bonnet with the aperture having a return lip shaped in to it and retaining tabs left in place.

01 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

01A by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

01B by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

This can be quite a tricky thing to do right on an alloy bonnet for most body shops and even on ex-Prodrive cars (some of which are still very original) there can be quite an untidy and uneven finish and gap around the vents.

So, without changing the look of the vent, it was decided to try and develop an under-tray, that would fit to the inside of the bonnet. This was done for several reasons....

Firstly, as it locates so well to the underside of the bonnet it gives the perfect position for the outer vent hole, so they perfectly match on both sides...

Secondly, to simplify the fitment without having to shape and fold the return lip & retaining tabs on the aperture in the bonnet so as to countersink them correctly...

And thirdly, as it helps to reinforce the heavily cut bonnet ribs (required to fit the larger WRC vents) on the underside once bonded in place.

To do this accurately and correct, it was decided to 3D scan my bonnet both top-side and under-side. Unfortunaly, the lack of quality vents on the market meant the new vent then had to be redrawn from scratch using scans of profiled sections of a GRP vent. Once this was finalised, the under-tray & vent was then developed as a 3D render.

1 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

2 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

3 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

With all the 3D files complete, the pattern parts for molding from could then be 3D printed. After coming off the printer, the plastic pattern part got a very light sanding. Next it went through a short process to prep it for oven use while under vacuum and finally a high temperature surface sealer.

3.5 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

4 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

6 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

After that, it was on to laying up the carbon fibre pre-preg tooling system.

8 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

9 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

The end result once the tooling was made, was to produce parts that were highly accurate, light-weight & perfect pre-preg carbon vent & under tray. As you can see from the pictures, the new vent follows the contour of the bonnet perfectly in comparison to a lot of the less accurate GRP parts on the market.

Hole in bonnet & ribs cut using under-tray as guide...

20 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

Undertray fitted...

21 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

22 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

Vent in place...

24 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

26 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

27 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

29 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

31 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

33 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

39 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

The weight difference is also quite a bit. GRP vent weighs 157 grams and the carbon one weighs 67 grams. All that's left with this prototype vent & under-tray is to fit the studs for holding them together and also bond the under-tray in place.
    Attached Images Attached Images

In other news, I have just gotten my first feature done on both the car and the company by Speedhunters. I was contacted by Paddy McGrath who works for them a while ago, but Covid got in the way.

Thankfully we managed to sort a date about a month back, giving me just under two weeks to tidy up a rather filthy garage and build the car back up to something that resembled a car! Loads of hard work, but worth it I think from the pictures.

It’s amazing the amount of work you can get done when the deadline is looming. The amount of procrastinating I do about little jobs and that I’ve been putting on the long finger, that got sorted within no time once I knew what was coming.

Big thanks to Paddy for the awesome job he did not only on the stunning pictures, but the brilliantly written article.

Anyway... here it is...

http://www.speedhunters.com/2020/09/...-in-your-shed/

Stop living my dream life.

Well done Sir!
    Current Bad Ideas:
    Daily - 1998 Pajero Evolution
    Project - 1990 BMW e30 1JZ
    Previous "Better" Ideas: 2 x Stage III Audi B5 S4, e30 m3, e34 m5, Inca Orange 2002Tii, '89 325iS, '89 318i, '90 318iS, '91 318iS, 2 X '87 316, '89 320i, '81 e21 316

Epic work, fair play

I like the way Paddy shot McRae thinking "um, nice" looking in at the cockpit!

Quote Originally Posted by JAMIE TYPERV6 View Post
    In other news, I have just gotten my first feature done on both the car and the company by Speedhunters.
    Congratulations Jamie. Superb attention to detail shining through both in the article and on this thread. Keep it up!
    Driven, not polished..

Fantastic stuff and love all the proper development work and determination to do the job right. Really enjoyed the Speedhunters article too. Would love to visit sometime and see the car in person