Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Audi 8P S3

Congrats Bloke, always thought this was a particularly nice looking example
    Current : ‘08 BMW E92 ///M3
    Previous: ‘03 BMW E39 530i
    Previous: ‘03 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i Roadster
    Previous: ‘07 BMW E92 335i
    Previous: ‘97 BMW E36 323i Coupé

Great ol weekend at the helm of the S3. A good 800km put up via a trip to Dingle and some blasting about. I know the roads down there like the back of my hand and pretty much every car I've had has been piloted around there at some stage, the S3 easily being one of the best of them. I've had better cars for the motorway for sure, but the wee Audi is grand in that respect. The resonator isn't as big an issue as I thought it might be. It drones a bit on some of the motorway draggy inclines but for the most part it's less of an intrusion than general road and wind noise. Good stereo on your side too, though it's not the Bose option it's still pretty good. I filled her to the brim in Birdhill Apple green too see what the mpg was like. From faffing around Dublin I had the sense it was not going to be a wallet-breaker and so it turned out. From Birdhill there's a small bit more motorway but then you're into gradually deteriorating 100kph single carriageways - Adare, Newcastle West, Abbeyfeale, Tralee, Dingle and still another 10k to go from there! . A weekend's tearing about the peninsula and then back the way we came with the fuel light just coming on as we approached Birdhill again, 540km later and another fill which calculated out as pretty much 30mpg. Which is grand for mixed driving and a bit of hooning and some cheeky snap overtaking. I can live with that no problem. -It's a super steer around a reasonably surfaced b road though. Really, really nice. The steering immediately off straight-line-centre is slightly light and floaty but once you you're actually turning in and turning it's got a lovely weight to it and the car has a great balance, especially considering the tyres and a fairly crappy pick'n mix of the unrecognisable and the unpronounceable. I'm sure the aftermarket shocks help too. They're set up just right for my usage. Boot full of bags, kids in the back - grown up kids now, nearly as tall as myself but happy out once installed in the back seats, and getting in isn't too much hassle either (once I figured out the tilt/slide/ratchet front-seat system .

So. Another great car. Delighted with this one. Quicker than the last one, which is the progression you want -building the ol' CV nicely
    Last edited by bloke; 24-02-2020 at 09:51 AM.

Happy out Bloke! Start your own thread FFS

The steering is electric power steering - not the last word in feedback but i never found it lacking on a twisty road either. The racks do give trouble in them but there are good after market options for decent money - i had mine replaced in Daltons, can't remember the brand but was ok money.

Quote Originally Posted by bloke View Post
    From Birdhill there's a small bit more motorway but then you're into gradually deteriorating 100kph single carriageways - Adare, Newcastle West, Abbeyfeale, Tralee, Dingle and still another 10k to go from there!
    10K past Dingle? You weren't going to Ballyferriter by any chance were you?

Quote Originally Posted by bdjw View Post
    10K past Dingle? You weren't going to Ballyferriter by any chance were you?
    We weren't staying there, we were staying near Feothanach, but we were in Ballyferriter alright or "ar an mBuailtín" as they say, for the festival. - Were you there yourself?

We weren't staying there, we were staying near Feothanach, but we were in Ballyferriter alright or "ar an mBuailtín" as they say, for the festival. - Were you there yourself?
    No, I haven't been down there since October. I usually head to Ballyferriter twice a year. Probably my favourite place in Ireland !

It's hard to beat alright. My Mom is from back there so from year dot we used to spend every summer, christmas, easter, halloween, you name it, back there. Right up until I was 17 or 18. Don't go there as often now cos it's a fair ol journey from Dublin but I do like to bring my two girls there and keep them connected to the family the music and the Gaolainn. It's got such a concentration of stunningly beautiful landscape, it really is incredible. Feeds the soul.

It's hard to beat alright. My Mom is from back there so from year dot we used to spend every summer, christmas, easter, halloween, you name it, back there. Right up until I was 17 or 18. Don't go there as often now cos it's a fair ol journey from Dublin but I do like to bring my two girls there and keep them connected to the family the music and the Gaolainn. It's got such a concentration of stunningly beautiful landscape, it really is incredible. Feeds the soul.
    My family have been going down there a little over 40 years. A lot of the Ballyferriter locals would have considered my parents as locals as they were there so much. I used to go with them until I was about 16, and then I stopped going with them as I thought it was too boring for a teenager (funny how things change)!!! I started going down again about 6 or 7 years ago, and love every trip down there. My dad is buried down there so there will always be a reason to head that direction
    Last edited by bdjw; 24-02-2020 at 01:52 PM.

Man alive, (there are... men alive in here!) I love this car!

Had hoped to get to the c&c seeing as I'm the owner of a car worthy of standing self-consciously next to, and perhaps getting one of those precious nods of approval from another attendee. Perhaps one day even attracting a photographer's eye and getting a feature snap on a C&C thread!!!!

Gave her a wash and everything. But it was not to be. Our fuc king hot water cylinder sprung a leak yesterday - never happens on a week day during plumbing hours does it - and that's going to pi$h all over my neatly scheduled S3 spend.

Got asked to do a hockey run Friday with the neighbours kids and I pretended there were only 2 seatbelts in the back to wangle my way out of letting 3 sweaty clodhopper teens stink up me car. - Nothing breaks a car like young teenagers.

Got me haldex service done Friday courtesy of our resident VAGspert, the G-Man. Peace-of-mind going forward. I'd like to get a boot liner next, speaking of interior cleanliness. Anyone know where best to source such a thing?