Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taking the Pista...

In person and inside the car it sounds fabulous. Not quite as good as the Speciale but the team working on the Pista wanted to ensure it sounded good. It's 8dB louder inside the cabin, and you notice it. But what is surprising is that there isn't as much turbo noise as you would find in the McLaren for example.

I read somewhere that McLaren has deliberately made the turbo part of the sound signature. They know they can't compete with Ferrari's engines so have gone for a more technical sound.

The Pisstake doesn't sound that amazing in the videos but it's of course very hard to capture the real sound.
    I'm with the resistance

Chis Harris writes about the Pista:
    https://www.topgear.com/car-news/big...rari-488-pista

Good read. Picking up on the above posts about the noise, 4 months later, Harris reckons it's good but not great, but then he does away with any merit in his opinion by saying he doesn't like the sound of Ferrari V8s since the 355!
    "All the finesse of a badger." (cdiv)

I'll take the fussy cabin. I really want one. However, see above. No point.

Quote Originally Posted by SJ View Post
    but then he does away with any merit in his opinion by saying he doesn't like the sound of Ferrari V8s since the 355!
    It's just personal preference though, isn't it? Like music.

I think I've read reservations about various things in most reviews and I just walk away with the notion that we're past the peak.

Interesting about the soft limiter in the standard 488. That would annoy me. There is very little like the aggression and cacophony of noises as you approach the red line in a car with a naturally aspirated engine.
    I'm with the resistance

Quote Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
    I think I've read reservations about various things in most reviews and I just walk away with the notion that we're past the peak.

Interesting about the soft limiter in the standard 488. That would annoy me. There is very little like the aggression and cacophony of noises as you approach the red line in a car with a naturally aspirated engine.
    That's more or less how I feel about it too. Not to say there won't be a new peak in a while.

The power increase from 360CS to 488 Pista is ludicrous of course, but for humans on roads, that doesn't necessarily make things better...
    "All the finesse of a badger." (cdiv)

Quote Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
    I think the ICE is increasingly in a world where it's best attributes are being squeezed out by the demands being made on it. Sure you have noise, emissions and economy on the one hand, but there is also customer expectation. Very few people are genuinely willing to have a "slower" car simply to enjoy the purity of a naturally aspirated engine. We're all so used to effortless torque now at all levels, only a few nutter enthusiasts want something you have to rev out and doesn't have effortless acceleration on demand in any gear. It's kind of understandable, that sort of effortless shove can be addictive, perhaps moreso as we move into the EV era.

I know I'm sounding like a stuck record here, but in the future - analogue "enthusiast" cars will be the slowest things on the road.