Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking the Pista...

Taking the Pista...

Been a while since I've posted something here, but thought that this might be of interest. Plus, the embargo on it finally lifted this morning.

Getting the call to go to Maranello is always something you should probably never say no to. Getting a call to offer an early drive in the pre-production development car of the 488 Pista is definitely something you should never say no to. So, I said yes. I'll let most of the review do the talking about the car itself, in truth I could have written so much more.

Standing in that famous Fiorano pit garage that I'd seen countless times in books, magazines and online, where the team's Formula One drivers got their first taste of 'their' Ferrari experience, felt somewhat surreal. I know people go on about mystique of a brand, etc, but there was something special about taking a moment to stand there and picture all that had gone on before. Drinking coffee in between road and track sessions and talking to those who have been Ferrari for life, reveals some truly awesome stories and anecdotes about what it was like. From Schumacher doing 12-hour days in the car to people calling to complain about the noise, threatening to call the authorities, only to have the phone passed to the local chief of police who was there to spectate.

As for the car, well, it's pretty special even in the current era of hyper and supercars.

You can read the full review here: https://www.completecar.ie/car-revie...ta-review.html

That looks mega...

Not bad part of the job I'd say

When I visited Italy last year we drove down to Maranello,we stopped on the road that runs along side part of the track and allows you to see most if the track.

I would have loved to have a go around it!!

That’s a nice day out. I must look into forging a press pass.

I don’t think too many owners will drive it daily whatever Ferrari says. They seem to prefer to allocate cars to collectors as best I understand these things.
    I'm with the resistance

I actually asked could I please go on the list, with a crazy notion of selling mine, keeping the VRT refund, selling a kidney to top it up and then keeping it in the UK to avoid stupid and unrealistic VRT payments (who will ever be crazy enough to bring in a new car like that and pay VRT again even in our sort of new not quite boom?). Naturally, you need to have bought tons of cars new from them etc and have the secret handshake and have whatever other characteristics that distinguish those who can buy "specials" from the lumpenproletariat.

While it is absolutely fabulous, based on brief encounters explained on various sites and your review, and lucky you to get to drive it at Fiorano, I have decided that it is made of unobtanium and a totally ridiculous prospect except for the stupidly rich. It has carbon wheels. Refurb anyone? It has carbon bits everywhere. It has a 1mm thick exhaust. I'd be terrified to actually drive it because it would bankrupt me fixing it if something went wrong, so what's the point really?

I love Fiorano as a track, having driven it in a 488 and an F12, but the bit where you have to back off next to an apartment block just as you come up to the main straight due to noise regs is a total pain in a FWP way. Portimao is a better track in my opinion anyway - no backing off there at all except due to abject terror.

If you have time, it would be nice to see a longer review on your site and linked here (just to tantalise the mortals), but thanks very much for linking this review anyway.

PS I loved Crank's suggestion some months ago about new rumours of a further "retro" special from Ferenghi - a 488 with a manual 'box and a bunch of webers. It's going to be called the 488 Pasta - lots of carbs

I've seen couple of pictures and tweets about this media test, fair play Dave. Treat of the year ?
    Any car that merely takes you from A-B does not go far enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Ming View Post
    I actually asked could I please go on the list, with a crazy notion of selling mine, keeping the VRT refund, selling a kidney to top it up and then keeping it in the UK to avoid stupid and unrealistic VRT payments (who will ever be crazy enough to bring in a new car like that and pay VRT again even in our sort of new not quite boom?). Naturally, you need to have bought tons of cars new from them etc and have the secret handshake and have whatever other characteristics that distinguish those who can buy "specials" from the lumpenproletariat.

While it is absolutely fabulous, based on brief encounters explained on various sites and your review, and lucky you to get to drive it at Fiorano, I have decided that it is made of unobtanium and a totally ridiculous prospect except for the stupidly rich. It has carbon wheels. Refurb anyone? It has carbon bits everywhere. It has a 1mm thick exhaust. I'd be terrified to actually drive it because it would bankrupt me fixing it if something went wrong, so what's the point really?

I love Fiorano as a track, having driven it in a 488 and an F12, but the bit where you have to back off next to an apartment block just as you come up to the main straight due to noise regs is a total pain in a FWP way. Portimao is a better track in my opinion anyway - no backing off there at all except due to abject terror.

If you have time, it would be nice to see a longer review on your site and linked here (just to tantalise the mortals), but thanks very much for linking this review anyway.
    I can only guess at the sort of lottery numbers Revenue would be looking for to Vrt something like the Pista...

Having watched a few minutes of the video from the Runway Club day at the weekend there seemed to be a lot of drivers in some very expensive machinery with Irish accents.

So there is obviously a lot of people who can afford some of the quickest and expensive cars around avoiding this hated tax!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming View Post
    PS I loved Crank's suggestion some months ago about new rumours of a further "retro" special from Ferenghi - a 488 with a manual 'box and a bunch of webers. It's going to be called the 488 Pasta - lots of carbs
    Fantastic

Reading up on it, the thing I like most is that they have managed to make it unturbo like in its delivery of goodness. But what does it sound like? The 488GTB sounds pretty OK (better than McLarens, not as good as a Huracan) but not awe inspiring.

If this is anything to go by, it sounds a lot better: