Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: e30mclow's latest e30

Before wet sanding of the base coat...

Quote Originally Posted by e30mclow View Post

After 600 wet for 5-10 minutes tonight. I ran a damp sponge across it to emulate the finish of the final clear coat. It gives me some confidence, but the clear will be the next learning curve @ $27-28/can.

I think the key to all of this will be holding off until the overnight temperatures are a little higher, or make some sort of over in the basement.
    I need to get the base coat harder. It is obviously nowhere near the appropriate paint, being cheap cans from the hardware store, so figuring out how to manage it will take a few more goes.

I've also never tried wet sanding before lacquer, and all I'll say is that it must be an art - it is so easy to cut through to the primer. I'm studying youtube videos, and it seems masking tape on the arches and contour lines is what's needed.
    Last edited by e30mclow; 08-04-2020 at 11:29 PM.
    Current Bad Ideas:
    Daily - 1998 Pajero Evolution
    Project - 1990 BMW e30 1JZ
    Previous "Better" Ideas: 2 x Stage III Audi B5 S4, e30 m3, e34 m5, Inca Orange 2002Tii, '89 325iS, '89 318i, '90 318iS, '91 318iS, 2 X '87 316, '89 320i, '81 e21 316

That looks amazing under the circumstances

Love these updates and your attitude towards the project, you'll give anything a lash I'd say

Keep 'em coming

In my experience. The quality of rattle cans make a huge difference. I find Halfords being the best. Not sure what would be best in your part of the world.

I found the last tub of fillers to be bought off the back of the last chopper out of Saigon. The absolute glee at finding this and not having to wait until May 4th for the one I've ordered to arrive.

This facilitated some progress today, but not as much as I had hoped for.
    Temps are still terrible, and it was even starting to snow at some points.

I played a game of pick the panel to get the best pair of wings from the hoard. The usual rust spots aren't to be seen on these southern state specimens!

I removed the pin striping and sorted a few dents on both front wings

I then staged things to see how I best avoid dust and general ergonomic failings that you usually only catch once it is too late.

I disconnected the garage door in case someone were to push the button and ruin my day.

With that figured out, I went to work on the front panel and front iS spoiler, as the finish on those doesn't need to be perfect.
    They're all painted up now, awaiting cure & clear coat. They'll move to the basement tomorrow to make way for the next items to be painted.

By the way, this is how much ended up needing to be chopped off the front panel to make the intercooler fit.

The bumper had a few chips and deep scratches, so it received some fillers and high build primer. That will get painted tomorrow or Sunday along with the front wings.

Weather looks like Sunday is a day of sprayer rather than prayer, with Monday being a cure day. Looks like ye bashterds at home have the perfect weather, whereas in Canada...

Already low on sandpaper, but will attack the bonnet once the wings and such are moved to the basement.

Rattle Can Score:
    1 Primer Dead
    1 Base Coat Dead
    Last edited by e30mclow; 10-04-2020 at 10:42 PM.
    Current Bad Ideas:
    Previous "Better" Ideas: 2 x Stage III Audi B5 S4, e30 m3, e34 m5, Inca Orange 2002Tii, '89 325iS, '89 318i, '90 318iS, '91 318iS, 2 X '87 316, '89 320i, '81 e21 316

Yesterday's bits are curing nicely in the spare room

Meanwhile the garage is a state.
    First thing this morning the 2 wings got their final coat of primer before flat sanding. They then dried in the garden while I turned my attention to the bonnet.

The bonnet had a few dings, including the typical dimple half way up along the right hand contour line. I've not had an e30 without this dent!

Some little rock chips also got addressed.
    It was then progressively sanded before 2 coats of high build primer.

While that cured, the items from the garden moved back into the garage, were washed, dried, tacked and given a shot of the good stuff!
    Look at the floor....you'd never think a can could produce so much over spray.

They all got 3 coats and were given the evening's fading sun to cure in.

That was the first use of the paint on larger, flatter panels. Unfortunately I had a few runs on the first wing, which is embarrassing, but fixable. There is the orange peel, as there was on the test panel, but we know that's fixable.
    Tomorrow I'll flat sand the bonnet and start on the boot lid and spoiler. I may paint the boot before the bonnet, as it is a better item to practice on.

I killed 3 cans of the heavy build primer today, between the bonnet and wings. The paint goes on really well, but we'll see how the wet sanding turns out in a week or so. I'll need more primer for sure, as it covers allllll the sins so well.

Rattle Can Score (cumulative):
    4 Primer Dead
    3 Base Coat Dead
    Last edited by e30mclow; 12-04-2020 at 12:41 AM.
    Current Bad Ideas:

Took the bonnet down from 400 to 600 with a sanding block. I spent quite some time on it, as it is essentially the face of the car.

1st Coat
    **Impatient man didn't take a photo**

2nd Coat

3rd Coat

Final Light Coat

Now it is to be left to cure for 2 days before I dare touch it.

The boot lid was worked from 80 to 220 on the sanding block, before touching up a few low spots and being given a guide coat before 320. I'll coat it in high build once the bonnet is out of the way, then repeat the bonnet process.

So, as of now the entire front clip is all painted, awaiting wet sanding and lacquer.

What's been learned?

A) I need to take more time between coats.
    B) Between the point nature of the can's spray (as opposed to fan spray), it is hard to get consistent coats without having to touch up light spots.
    C) You don't use as much base coat as you'd think.

Is it worthwhile vs conventional methods? It isn't as productive, but it allows me to chip away at it piecemeal without having to clean a gun.
    Last edited by e30mclow; 13-04-2020 at 04:40 PM.
    Current Bad Ideas:

Cracking on here, but it is verrrry tedious.

I'm learning as I go, and I'm at the point where things are getting more efficient and I'm wasting less materials.

The whole front end is now flat sanded and has been given 3 coats of clear.
    This necessitated backing it out into the driveway, which in itself required the wastegate to be reinstalled.

My Turbosmart 10psi spring arrived, so it was time to see if it'd fit the HKS wastegate.

Much success, and it is noticeably stiffer.

As luck would have it, I quickly realized that there was an intercooler coupler that had popped off at some point, which may have actually been the very reason of the pathetic boost.
    Once that was fixed, the car idled and ran far better.

With the car outside for the night I set up the immaculate spray booth

I managed to find an autobody place that was open on Saturday, and they left some stuff outside for me, including the necessary 2K clear.

I then went ham, and immediately saw that it was going to be a very orange peely affair.

Coat 1

Coat 3 on the boot

Fawking helllll

This is an egg

Same thing.

Disheartening. With that, I went to bed and cried into my pillow.

This morning I slapped the front end together as it was going to rain.

While those parts cured, I decided to play with the test wing I'm been using ahead of every process. After some 2000 wet and a quick polish, it came up great!
    If the whole car turns out that well, it'll have all been worth it.

Today I ripped into the arse end of the car working towards the front

Sanded back to near metal and brought back up with high build.

I had intended on doing the door jambs, but I'm thinking I'll get away with it? This is the fog light blank that I painted last week vs the jamb

As for the roof, I have no shame in saying that it is getting the ole Cork Examiner & filler treatment, as I am too eager to drive this thing.
    I have a non-sunroof roof skin and headliner for it, it is just a matter of committing. Now isn't time when there is skids to be had.

NICE ONE LAD

And as I'm an absolute loser when it comes to wheels, I'm hoping to pick up these once the restrictions on crossings into Quebec are lifted

17x8 and 17x9 Style 32. They'd go so so well with the Alpina front valance.
    Last edited by e30mclow; 20-04-2020 at 12:45 AM.
    Current Bad Ideas:

I always found the clearcoat the hardest coat to apply. The primer and the paint itself. I always found easier.

Looking good! White is probably one of the most forgiving colours to attempt a DIY paint job with so you have that in your favour.

When are you hoping to have it out on the road?