Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Declaring a car off the road

  1. #1

    Declaring a car off the road

    Just wondering how this works over here. I get its relatively straightforward if the car is taxed and you are declaring it off the road from the next month. What happens though if tax runs out end of september and you forget a to declare off the road until 5th october? Do you have to pay a months tax? Can it still be done online or do you need to go to an office?

  2. #2
    Think this is fairly accurate;

    http://www.housing.gov.ie/local-gove...ehicle-road/qa

    Needs to be in tax as far as I know before declaring off road and says the same in link above.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    Just wondering how this works over here. I get its relatively straightforward if the car is taxed and you are declaring it off the road from the next month. What happens though if tax runs out end of september and you forget a to declare off the road until 5th october? Do you have to pay a months tax? Can it still be done online or do you need to go to an office?
    Unfortunately Boris as this is good old Ireland you will need to buy 3 months tax to declare it off the road, I don't think it's possible to claim back any of that unless the car is scrapped or something. The only way that a car out of tax can be declared off the road without having to tax it first is if it has transferred to a new owner.

    On change of ownership there is a grace period where its possible to declare it off the road and not be liable for the outstanding road tax. This is done via the motortax website.
    _________________
    Older but no wiser.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    Just wondering how this works over here. I get its relatively straightforward if the car is taxed and you are declaring it off the road from the next month. What happens though if tax runs out end of september and you forget a to declare off the road until 5th october? Do you have to pay a months tax? Can it still be done online or do you need to go to an office?
    Can't be done if you forget for a month. You will either have to tax it for 3 months, plus pay any arrears, then you can declare it off the road before the tax expires.

    Unofficially you could change the ownership to another person, then back to you. That way you can declare it off the road and avoid having to pay.

  5. #5
    Thanks, off the road from end September it is then. Such an awkward system.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Traco View Post
    On change of ownership there is a grace period where its possible to declare it off the road and not be liable for the outstanding road tax. This is done via the motortax website.
    Apologies for digging up an old thread but this is exactly the info I'm after. I've just tried this via the website (received new logbook this morning), initially I need to retrieve the pin but when I fill out the form with the details and submit I'm met with :
    "PIN Retrieval Unsuccessful
    This vehicle is not eligible for online taxing."

    Anyone had this and how was it solved?
    Thanks

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by long11 View Post
    Apologies for digging up an old thread but this is exactly the info I'm after. I've just tried this via the website (received new logbook this morning), initially I need to retrieve the pin but when I fill out the form with the details and submit I'm met with :
    "PIN Retrieval Unsuccessful
    This vehicle is not eligible for online taxing."

    Anyone had this and how was it solved?
    Thanks
    Use the last 6 digits of the logbook number as your pin

  8. #8
    Sound, will try that

    Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    The easiest way around all this faff is to change the ownership. Like a reset button the new owner is not responsible for any of the previous owners mistakes with regard to signing the car off the road.

  10. #10
    Tried last 6 digits of both the log book and the chassis number without luck so rang the tax office.
    They confirmed they couldn't log in with the pin either and apologised. They are sending the form out with prepaid envelope. Graaand.
    Thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •