Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chris Harris drives Alfaholics GTA

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
    Crank, would love to know more about your reasoning for favoring the 8v over the 16v twinny?
    It's a completely different engine. The 8V T-Spark is an evolution of the Twin Cam or "Nord" going all the way back to the 1950s, which was a revolutionary engine for the time, designed by Giusseppe Busso who also designed the V6. It's a lovely rev happy yet flexible engine that is actually very robust.

The 16v Twin Spark shares its name but is derived from Fiat/Lancia modular engines.
    Last edited by crank_case; 16-08-2017 at 03:11 PM.
    Backroads Xbox racing club - search for backroadsdotie on xbox live or PM me your gamertag https://support.xbox.com/en-IE/xbox-...arch-for-clubs

You can take your 400Bhp, 500Bhp and 600Bhp cars and shove them where the sun dont shine...

This to me would sit perfectly in any garage!
    85 E28 M535i, 92 Evo 1 RS, 07 Vrs Combi, 04 Kei Copen

Cool, thank Crank for that tidbit.
    Ok, my uninformed assumption was that the big V6 block would be more robust, albeit heavier, leading to more long term reliability and more linear power. Live and learn

Ok, my uninformed assumption was that the big V6 block would be more robust, albeit heavier, leading to more long term reliability and more linear power. Live and learn
    I believe the V6 requires a little bit more maintenance, great engine of course, but I'd rather a tuned T-Spark in a 105 coupe for weight and similarity to its original engine.

The 8v Twin Cam was way ahead of its time in 1954, which allowed them to keep using it for 40 years, so by the time you get to the 8v Twin Spark, they'd actually had a lot of time to iron out issues and improve it further. It's a great swap, because with many cars you have a choice of do I go modern and get more poke or do I stick with the character of the old? ..but with this, you sort of get the best of both.
    Backroads Xbox racing club - search for backroadsdotie on xbox live or PM me your gamertag https://support.xbox.com/en-IE/xbox-...arch-for-clubs

When tested to failure, the 8v Twin Cam outlasted the V6 busso of the same period. I think the V6 cam belt is a weak point. (Well, I damn well know it was in mine...). IIRC the 8v Twin Cam for its time also had excellent mid range torque compared to other 2Ls.
    All composed things are perishable (especially RX8s). Diligently seek enlightenment.