Page 3 of 114 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Motor Insurance Gone To Hell... 2017-2019

Quote Originally Posted by Thestig View Post
    The missus and I left Ireland in 2013, and up to then, we had no problem insuring older cars, powerful cars etc all for between €500 and €1000.

What the hell has happened? Like seriously! The insurance companies seem to have gone rogue!
    Has something genuinely changed in the industry? If so why?

This isn't the case here in the U.K.. where it's a very stable market.
    E.g : the premium on the 328 is cheap and my Mrs is changing cars next month and hers is the same price even though it's a more expensive car with a larger engine.
    There is some committee of some sort trying to figure it out but my understanding is that a couple of insurance companies came into the market and sold policies below cost (knowingly or unknowingly), I think around 2005 onwards. This forced the established companies to lower their rates too. Some of these newcomers then went bust and the system works in such a way that their liabilities must be funded by a pool funded by the insurance industry. With the disruptors gone, the established players have upped rates in order to make money (and cash in on less competition) and to cover the losses of their failed former competitors. And Ireland had much less traffic and accidents during the difficult years from 2008 onwards which could well have been a factor back then.

Either way, as a consumer it's a pain in the ass and if it continues I will be selling some cars as it's just stupidly expensive to have them sitting there.
    I'm with the resistance

Quote Originally Posted by Thestig View Post
    The missus and I left Ireland in 2013, and up to then, we had no problem insuring older cars, powerful cars etc all for between €500 and €1000.

What the hell has happened? Like seriously! The insurance companies seem to have gone rogue!
    Has something genuinely changed in the industry? If so why?

This isn't the case here in the U.K.. where it's a very stable market.
    E.g : the premium on the 328 is cheap and my Mrs is changing cars next month and hers is the same price even though it's a more expensive car with a larger engine.
    It has gone crazy, my old Impreza was €750 for me a couple of years back, now I'd struggle to get a quote. It make having anything over 7 or 8 years old completely unappealing.

I did a clean out of files recently and had some old insurance docs. I was paying on average a grand or more in my late 20's early 30's with full license since 18 and no points convictions etc. The Mrs was the same. I think the last 10 years the pricing wasn't realistic with companies just trying to secure market share. We're now seeking an over correction of sorts but think the days of sub €500 are gone.

Anybody else in the 40's plus bracket recall their policy prices 15-20 years ago??

i cant complain too much, the 10 years im driving i've been very lucky in insurance terms. with 20 i had my first silvia and it was 900e all in, then evos and other now black listed jap and never paid more than 1200. all with liberty for 10 years, now, got a very reasonable quote on a twin turbo leggy paying just 504euro all bells and whistles with allianz. age 28 and 10yrs ncb and full irish 9 years now.

Whereas Allianz wouldn't quote me as a 34 year old with longer ncb than yourself, never having had a penalty point and a much less powerful car. Sense not make!

I always find these insurance threads strange in so far as everyone seems to be paying more each year. While the insurance companies send out increased premium payments I have always paid the same as the previous year or less. Even last year I rang around and armed with the quotes I had acquired asked my current company what was the best they could do. Expecting maybe a €50 discount which would have been cheaper than any of the other quotes. Just from a simple ask I got a €170 discount. I just find it curious others experience.
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command.

Very often that individual is crazy.

@DMZ good to know... that is interesting. It's like they were stuck at the Christmas party just like the banks at the time..

FWIW I paid £2400 Irish Pounds to insure a Fiat Punto Sporting (1.25, 16v, 85hp) as a 22 year old in 2003.

My cheapest premium was just under €400 around 2009 or 2010, either with Quinn or 123.ie, I was with both for 4+ years or so. Now it's around €500-600 or so with An Post.

For the younger fellas, there's a good drop on insurance when you turn 25 and a bigger one when you hit the big 3.0.

Received renewal notification from Munster Group for the FTO last week. Premium went up by almost exactly 100% to €1679 and it seems to be the cheapest so far (Underwriter is now Patrona), most companies just won't insure them...

I was expecting a little hike but not 100%! I'm 35, have no penalty points and 9 years NCB btw. ... Crazy...

I was expecting a large hike. 20 year old on a Clio 197.

Got my renewal on the 23rd of Dec. Quote went down 200 euro despite gaining 3 points. Paying €1,451 now.

Worst part is I can get a 3.0 Z4 and save a further 300 euro on insurance!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk