Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: (E46) BMW 325i Sport Touring, manual

So the new front wings are on, the repair to the OS 3/4 panel and arch is complete and the car is in paint. But more of that once it's done.

Some choice OEM retromods are a pristine pair of E46 M3 seats complete with adjustable lumbar support, adjustable bolsters, heat and memory functions.

A control panel is needed for the seat heating, so I picked that up too. It's tricky to find one with heat, the harman/kardon switch and DSC/ASC so it took a while. The ASC button has to be swopped with the DSC button to keep things original, but the switch fulfils the same on/off function.

I sourced a front sway bar out of an M3 also. It probably won't do a whole lot, but it was at a decent price and I just couldn't resist.

Finally, I have a real soft spot for period OEM accessories and when an original BMW E46 roofbox popped up close to my route while I was in England in a van I just had to grab that too.

All of those things, and the recent work will make a wonderful car even better.

howmanyleft.co.uk says that there are only 194 licenced manual E46 325i Sport Tourings left in the UK with an attrition rate of about 10% per annum, so these are going to end up a real unicorn. And for that reason I decided to invest in mine, perhaps some day soon they'll start to appreciate slightly.
    Last edited by Flet; 01-10-2019 at 08:51 PM.
    2003 BMW 325i Sport Touring (E46)
    2018 Volvo V40 D2 R-Design
    2005 Adria Coral 630DH

Even BMW Group Classic is getting in on the act, Style 68s and all.

2003 BMW 325i Sport Touring (E46)
    2018 Volvo V40 D2 R-Design
    2005 Adria Coral 630DH

Fantastic to see this! The M3 seats are a big step up from the MSport ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current: '06 Silver Grey E60 530d
    Previous: '03 Silver Grey E46 M3, '02 Imola Red E46 325Ci, '98 Cosmos Schwartz E36 318iS

Yeah those seats are top notch! I'm not as sure about the m3 arb, it will be interesting to have your observations on its effect on ride quality.

BMW E46 Touring 325i Sport

Quote Originally Posted by philb View Post
    Yeah those seats are top notch! I'm not as sure about the m3 arb, it will be interesting to have your observations on its effect on ride quality.
    Looks like the strut brace that goes across the engine bay rather than an anti-roll /sway bar!

Installing a M3 anti roll bar up front would only introduce more understeer, I think!

Previous: '03 Silver Grey E46 M3, '02 Imola Red E46 325Ci, '98 Cosmos Schwartz E36 318iS

Quote Originally Posted by philb View Post
    Good seats but must be 20kgs heavier than originals. Maybe that doesnt matter in a road car.

I have been thinking about E46 Tourings again myself. If I could find a nice 325i M Sport I would have to get it. They are getting difficult to find and a decent one is very rare. It would go nice with the E46 M3. Keep the updates coming

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I have been thinking about E46 Tourings again myself. If I could find a nice 325i M Sport I would have to get it. They are getting difficult to find and a decent one is very rare. It would go nice with the E46 M3. Keep the updates coming
    That’s funny because after reading these updates last night, I found myself looking for the same

Those seats are gorgeous.

It's a great format - nice looking sporty estate with a decent engine. What's amazing is how unusual such a thing is, right across the board. Your choice seems to be diesel only, or else a 15+ year saab aero. It's not as if the 325 is a barn-stormer either. My 530 would be brisker but it's still too smooth to feel quick, if you know what I mean. I drove a few E90 325 coupes and they just felt a bit strangled. MInd you, I had an older e46 325i years ago and I remember it being much freer up the revs, with a nice step up in power over 3500rpm and a satisfying howl to the red line. Could be rose-tinted glasses too. -But looking around to replace the 5 with a fast petrol estate and..... there's nothing out there. (100 grand rs6's etc aside)

Quote Originally Posted by bloke View Post
    Those seats are gorgeous.

It's a great format - nice looking sporty estate with a decent engine. What's amazing is how unusual such a thing is, right across the board. Your choice seems to be diesel only, or else a 15+ year saab aero. It's not as if the 325 is a barn-stormer either. My 530 would be brisker but it's still too smooth to feel quick, if you know what I mean. I drove a few E90 325 coupes and they just felt a bit strangled. MInd you, I had an older e46 325i years ago and I remember it being much freer up the revs, with a nice step up in power over 3500rpm and a satisfying howl to the red line. Could be rose-tinted glasses too. -But looking around to replace the 5 with a fast petrol estate and..... there's nothing out there. (100 grand rs6's etc aside)
    Nail on the head. I owned a 325Ci for 3 years and drove a E92 325i recently. Power delivery was much better in the E46