Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying sterling to buy a car in UK

Buying sterling to buy a car in UK

So. the real fallout from Brexit, for me at least, is a 5-10% discount on the sterling price of a car. The only issue is that on paper, the rate gives a saving of a few hundred euros, but the exchanging bank takes a cut (i.e. a spread) of a couple of %, which I'd prefer not to pay.

- Market Rate is E1.21 = i.e. £10,000 costs E12,100

- Rather unhelpfully, AIB don't advertise their rates online:

- BOI E1.225/£STG, £10,000 will cost me an extra E150 (they don't state if there is a commission fee)

- Post office E1.245/£STG, £10,000 will cost me an extra E350 (they state that the transaction is commission free, but then they take you to the cleaners on the rate).

I know I could get a better rate if I buy a draft, would this cause problems over in the UK with waiting for an Irish bank draft to clear?

Does anyone have any more research done on this - is there a better option for getting cash? Is the rate offered on a Visa card any better? Any other options out there for a better rate?

Try Fexco if you have cu account

Have used currencyfair.com for years - theres no actual FX happening, so you get close to interbank rates. You can transfer out directly to the sellers account in the UK.

Pensioners don't get charged commission as far as I know, so if you know someone more advanced in years, you could try that....

Quote Originally Posted by kdevitt View Post
    Have used currencyfair.com for years - theres no actual FX happening, so you get close to interbank rates. You can transfer out directly to the sellers account in the UK.
    Cheers for that, I will try that myself.
    Yesterday I gave up my seat on the bus for a blind person
    Today, I lost my job as a bus driver. This world is too cruel for the kind hearted..

+1 for currencyfair.com

Ive used it for several car purchases in the past and its worked perfect.

6 replies and no one has asked what he is buying? Fail BR users

Spill K10

Quote Originally Posted by cian View Post

Spill K10
    obviously a TVR

Quote Originally Posted by cian View Post

Spill K10
    I was just thinking that. It must be something from the Hall of Shame if he hasn't bragged about it himself.

Come on. The worst we can do is slag you off!!!
    Beware of imitations; there's another lawyer out there calling himself "Lucanlaw!" So the writing on the wall may be a forgery!