Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Time of year for cars to come blinking back into daylight, off sorn.

That 993 is a beauty.

On the whole sorn debate, can I be controversial and say this is a blessing in disguise for the classic (pre cheap tax)scene? Assuming folks are doing the 6mths on and off then there is a hard deadline where the car has to be tucked away in a garage? Whereas the old way the car might have hung around a little longer than the 6mths

I'd tolerate it if we could do any option of a month. Be nice to be able to add one extra month if the autumn was really nice.

Traco

Quote Originally Posted by Traco View Post
    I'd tolerate it if we could do any option of a month. Be nice to be able to add one extra month if the autumn was really nice.

Traco
    I totally agree. There's no valid reason in this technological era, where taxing a car can be done over the Internet, why the system couldn't be amended to give an option of selecting whatever number of months one chooses.
    I taxed a motor yesterday for 6 months. That's it covered to the end of September. Ideally, I would have liked another month. When September comes, I either take it off the road or tax for 3 months, knowing I'll not avail of the last 2 or put it away until this time next year! Under the old system, I'd drive it for this month untaxed and then tax for 6 (paying 1 month's arrears).
    I will most likely put the car away at the end of September rather than get ripped off paying for 3 and using for 1!
    It occurs to me that the authorities are very short sighted. If the taxation system allowed a full choice of road tax period, it would benefit the exchequer. I'm surprised this isn't being lobbied for by car enthusiasts? A minor tweak to the computer programme is all that's required......an there's a political benefit (ie. VOTES) in it!!!
    Last edited by lucanlaw; 02-04-2017 at 09:01 AM.
    Beware of imitations; there's another lawyer out there calling himself "Lucanlaw!" So the writing on the wall may be a forgery!

All of the above is nonsense. Put motor tax on Fuel. Pay as you go. It's so simple it'll never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by lucanlaw View Post
    It occurs to me that the authorities are very short sighted. If the taxation system allowed a full choice of road tax period, it would benefit the exchequer. I'm surprised this isn't being lobbied for by car enthusiasts? A minor tweak to the computer programme is all that's required......an there's a political benefit (ie. VOTES) in it!!!
    Ah - I see what you did there! You used logic and we all know that's not possible. As for even waiting for a disc to arrive in the post. Madness. Should be able to print it out in a QR format and stick it in your window. Easily scannable on a motor tax app on any phone. But what do I know? I'm only a humble lowly taxpayer

Traco

Quote Originally Posted by -MICK- View Post
    All of the above is nonsense. Put motor tax on Fuel. Pay as you go. It's so simple it'll never happen.
    That, of course, is the ideal solution if you could trust the authorities. You're absolutely right. The tax should be based on road use. However, I believe, if they did that, they would introduce another tax a few years later and screw us on the double!
    So, I'm trying to make a practical suggestion which could be implemented with a minor tweak in the current archaic system.
    Beware of imitations; there's another lawyer out there calling himself "Lucanlaw!" So the writing on the wall may be a forgery!

Itching to get this out

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Hibernating since last October .
    All checked over yesterday ,fresh oil /filter and out for a drive early this AM .

DSCF8339 - Copy.jpg

DSCF8387 - Copy.jpg

DSCF8390 - Copy (2).jpg
    Enjoy the time you waste ......​

Not sure why the above photos are small and not full size ...Anyone enlighten me how to load them full size ?
    Enjoy the time you waste ......​

Quote Originally Posted by steely dan View Post
    Not sure why the above photos are small and not full size ...Anyone enlighten me how to load them full size ?
    When you click on them, they blow up.

It is because you have attached them to the post, and the forum default is to show them as thumbnails.
    What the others have done, is having uploaded them to a different site (an image hosting service) they then link to those images. Its a round about way of doing it, but it works...

Also, nice Beemer.
    "This is a non-contact sport but then so is ice hockey" - Roberto Giordanelli on Irish FIAT Punto racing but applies to all Irish racing..
    "Tailgaters have small dicks" - Me