Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Time of year for cars to come blinking back into daylight, off sorn.

I can't believe its almost that time again, the months are flying.

I had great plans to keep the XJS charged and start her up every few weeks.
    Never happened of course, it was left languishing in the garage and is once again covered in dust and spider poop.
    A snail seems to have attached itself to the radiator.

I did disconnect the battery, I left it on charge overnight on Friday.
    Did it start?

It did with no drama.

I ran it for a while to warm up the oil before changing it and the Filter.
    After that it peed itself, a large pool of coolant began to emerge from under it.
    The leak seems to be from the thermostat housing which is badly corroded and has a pretty perished looking O ring.
    It looks like someone before tried to bodge fix it using sealant on the O ring and there was no no gasket fitted.
    I am not sure how easy parts are to get.

The idle is hunting up and down too, so something is up with that or it just may need a run.
    So on to the interweb with me to order some parts and see if it can be persuaded to come out for the Summer.
    I am going to try and get it an NCT this year so I have to fix a slight leak coming from the diff.
    I have a month to get it all sorted before I tax it for the Summer.
    Can't wait.

So what's sleeping in Backroaders garages waiting to be revitalised for the Summer?

Quote Originally Posted by Browns lane View Post
    I can't believe its almost that time again, the months are flying.

I had great plans to keep the XJS charged and start her up every few weeks.
    Never happened of course, it was left languishing in the garage and is once again covered in dust and spider poop.
    A snail seems to have attached itself to the radiator.

I did disconnect the battery, I left it on charge overnight on Friday.
    Did it start?

It did with no drama.

I ran it for a while to warm up the oil before changing it and the Filter.
    After that it peed itself, a large pool of coolant began to emerge from under it.
    The leak seems to be from the thermostat housing which is badly corroded and has a pretty perished looking O ring.
    It looks like someone before tried to bodge fix it using sealant on the O ring and there was no no gasket fitted.
    I am not sure how easy parts are to get.

The idle is hunting up and down too, so something is up with that or it just may need a run.
    So on to the interweb with me to order some parts and see if it can be persuaded to come out for the Summer.
    I am going to try and get it an NCT this year so I have to fix a slight leak coming from the diff.
    I have a month to get it all sorted before I tax it for the Summer.
    Can't wait.

So what's sleeping in Backroaders garages waiting to be revitalised for the Summer?
    Did you see the arcing just after it started at 44seconds. Over the far side of the engine bay.

I knew there was a reason I posted that.
    Well spotted Mick.
    I'll have a look into it.

Well spotted, I was looking for an Arce not an arc.

Guess I don't need glasses yet then

Hope my yoke starts tomorrow. I'd be happy with a bit of arcing

Time of year for cars to come blinking back into daylight, off sorn.

Not a classic but woken from sleep since September.
    Had planned to get lots of stuff done this weekend but that didn't happen. Moved her last week took her out from under the cover and off her dollys. Started on the button and pulled her out. Hopefully get to sort a few things this week. Taxed her today what a robbing scam that is.

Traco

I have a right hankering for a Boxter.....

I woke my girl up a few months earlier than normal. Charged the battery, fired her up, drove to the petrol station and then brought her on this run to see if her winter slumber had caused any issues. And happily there were none! It was a good test for her. For the last few years running the winter layup caused gaskets to go. Hopefully I've gotten all the weak ones now.

We all stood around in a circle naked, thrusting our clinched fists in the air screaming "Jap Power!!"

I drove my 300CE again today. She passed the NCT a month ago. Next year she is 30
    Deadly Dave

Out of the garage yesterday.
    Fired first time with the usual "blue smoke" after 6 months of hibernation..

Last edited by 993C4; 02-04-2017 at 08:13 AM.