Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Backroads roads of Ireland (North and South)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike205 View Post
    Wicklow and road from Hollywood to Laragh http://goo.gl/maps/8vJGV it is only 25 km, but it has plenty of enjoyable corners and scenery is lovely. It can get very busy with cyclists and bikers so arrive early to avoid disappointment. Head on via Old Military Road after if you like but it can be very bumpy.
    +1..

If coming from Hollywood, don't stop at Laragh - continue on the R755 to Rathdrum, that section of road has amazing sweeps and bends:

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/53.09...!1m0!3e0?hl=en

Agree with the East Wicklow suggestions. But if you want really technical roads, and aren't afraid of a bit of rough, head up around Glen of Imaal and just get lost up there. Great craic.

Two roads in Area Six:

Sperrins Expressway - start in Omagh to Gortin along the aptly named "Widowmaker" (by AonFocalEile) and continue from Gortin to Plumbridge. Turn right and follow the Glenelly Road/B47 that runs along the southern slopes of the Sperrins towards Draperstown.

(Lower) Lough Erne lap - start in Enniskillen leaving on the A46 in the direction of Belleek. In Belleek turn right at the petrol station and follow the A47 out of the town and across Lusty Beg Island to Kesh and back to Enniskillen. On the way back you pass Castle Archdale which was a WW2 base for the anti-submarine "Flying Boats".
    2003 BMW 325i Sport Touring (E46)
    2018 Volvo V40 D2 R-Design
    2005 Adria Coral 630DH

A nice smooth road is the Sligo to Enniskillen one. Start off Sligo to Mannorhamilton which is fast and flowing but with a few tight turns. Very twisty up to the border then the road is more flowing but the surface is a bit rougher but still grand.

Quote Originally Posted by kicks View Post
    A nice smooth road is the Sligo to Enniskillen one. Start off Sligo to Mannorhamilton which is fast and flowing but with a few tight turns. Very twisty up to the border then the road is more flowing but the surface is a bit rougher but still grand.
    That is a nice road. Some good sections & overtaking opportunities after Blacklion/Belcoo as well. Can be very busy though, best driven early in the day.
    2005 Adria Coral 630DH

Top marks for the ones that are providing Google Maps links.

To the rest of ye: get started using them.
    I have no clue of where Ballygobackwards is.
    "This is a non-contact sport but then so is ice hockey" - Roberto Giordanelli on Irish FIAT Punto racing but applies to all Irish racing..
    "Tailgaters have small dicks" - Me

Quote Originally Posted by Flet View Post
    Not far away is my benchmarking drive, the L1320 between Moycullen and Oughterard. You've got to be careful as the road gets local traffic as well as cyclists and bikers, especially on a Sunday but it is very technical, enjoyable and an excellent test of suspension ability.
    Do you mean Moycullen to Spiddal?

Another not too far away is Gort -> Scarriff -> Tulla -> Gort
    http://goo.gl/maps/D5RPR

Untitled.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by long11 View Post
    Do you mean Moycullen to Spiddal?
    Yes of course... argh.
    2005 Adria Coral 630DH

Quote Originally Posted by long11 View Post
    Another not too far away is Gort -> Scarriff -> Tulla -> Gort
    That Tulla - Lough Cutra run (R461) is a personal favourite, forgot all about it!
    If they think you're crude, go technical; if they think you're technical, go crude. I'm a very technical boy.

I second the R756, either direction all flet, all the time. Just not at weekends!

The R244 has a lot going for it too, good surface, wonderful corners and a fantastic Eau Rouge type combination that never fails to excite. These all tie in to deliver a 13 mile blinder of a drive. Throw in the sheep that wander across and the winter ice and you have a challenging road in all weathers.

I heard about the N59 on here (or an earlier iteration) before and travelled Whesht for a weekend some years back. I did a bit of drinking on the Friday night in Galway. Saturday had me up and full Irished by 10am. I set off out the Barna road and travelled along the coast for the morning, I lunched in Clifden before taking the Sky Road and eventually joining the N59 to head for Westport. My companion was an S60 T5. I absolutely ripped it asunder. I arrived at my friend’s house in Mayo gibbering like a fool. My hosts didn't know what to make of me. Giddy and edgy, they wondered why I'd been on the N59 seeing as I was coming from the East. I had rendered myself incomprehensible and they just didn't get it. It took me all evening and shed loads of porter to come down from the high. One of the best days of my life.