Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Backroads roads of Ireland (North and South)

The Backroads roads of Ireland (North and South)

Thanks to the likes of Evo and a few web sites, the best roads of Britain are fairly well known now, and I could string together a few hundred miles of good stuff in Scotland or in Wales without too much effort.

We obviously don't have anything like Evo here so therefore the best roads are not known, if they even exist. But I think there some gems hiding here and there

I think we did a thread like this before but I would like to collate the best roads in Ireland on a Google Maps map so we have it for prosperity. Ideally good surface stuff where you can maintain a decent speed, so not the Military Road over the Wicklow Mountains, as an example.

So... please fire away suggestions and even better, post up the stretches of road marked on Google Maps and I'll put them all in one place.
    I'm with the resistance

In the north, the B27 from Kilkeel to Hilltown via Spelga Dam and various side routes off that. Smooth, well sighted, not overly trafficed.

Good idea to collate all suggestions like this. Brill idea actually...

*But*, Ireland isn't a country which provides much in the way of good surfaced stuff where you can 'maintain speed'.

So can I add a suggestion ? The country is also full of 'technical' roads with yumps, crests, dips, hollows, tricky bends and corners etc (we are famous for rallying on closed roads after all ! )
    Now these roads don't suit what I think you want to list, but can we do both perhaps ? One for low-slung stuff, the type of driving you've described, and another for trickier stuff, more suited to hot hatches and 4wd weaponry than low-slung sports cars?! Y'know, where it's more the norm to have at least one wheel not making proper contact with the surface at any time ?!

Both lists/maps would have their merit I feel...

Quote Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
    In the north, the B27 from Kilkeel to Hilltown via Spelga Dam and various side routes off that. Smooth, well sighted, not overly trafficed.
    Agreed wholeheartedly. I took a run up that-a-way one evening last July. The mountains had been "calling" me each clear evening during the summer as I crossed over the M50 flyover on the way home so I headed up one evening. Calringford, Warrenpoint, Kilkeel, Newcastle, Hilltown, Kilkeel, Hilltown, Mayobridge, Warrenpoint and home again. Some pretty scenery and some excellent roads. Quite a long trek for an evening spin but the grin factor was good the itch definitely scratched!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good point deltona there's loads of quiet un policed roads out here that are a joy in the forester or a standard s2k running 16's but I'd hate to tackle them at any speed in a lotus or any of bunk or Steve's fleets.

Surely someone can do a cache/screen grab or whatever the geeks call it from the yellow places threads and articles on octane or is that defeating the point of the thread/discussion.

I enjoy the road from Ballina Mayo to Belmullet, once your past Ballycastle the road is very enjoyable to drive at pace. Its a road I know very well, mind you it must be at least a year since I last drove it. Very little Guard action on it also which is always a plus! The surface is generally very good, but like anything there is maybe 4/5 miles which can be a bit humpy

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/Balli...54.2238996!3e0

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/Balli...54.2238996!3e0

Connemara: start from the t-junction at Screebe between the R336 and the R340 go north to Maam Cross and continue out to Maam. Turn left at Keane's pub, head for Leenane and turn left in the village, climbing up to the youth hostel. After about 5-6 miles turn left into the Lough Inagh road (R344) until you meet the N59. There turn right and rejoin the R340 heading south for Carna. I don't think there is a finer drive in the country.

Not far away is my benchmarking drive, the L1320 between Moycullen and Oughterard. You've got to be careful as the road gets local traffic as well as cyclists and bikers, especially on a Sunday but it is very technical, enjoyable and an excellent test of suspension ability.

There's another gem in east Galway on the N65 between Loughrea and Portumna just before the village of Killimor which would not be out of place on the Nürburgring. And the N59 north of Leenane to Westport is another great stretch.
    2003 BMW 325i Sport Touring (E46)
    2018 Volvo V40 D2 R-Design
    2005 Adria Coral 630DH

West Limerck Drive:

http://goo.gl/maps/D74d7

N69 Coastal section between Askeaton and Ballybunion is a good run too.
    If they think you're crude, go technical; if they think you're technical, go crude. I'm a very technical boy.

Wicklow and road from Hollywood to Laragh http://goo.gl/maps/8vJGV it is only 25 km, but it has plenty of enjoyable corners and scenery is lovely. It can get very busy with cyclists and bikers so arrive early to avoid disappointment. Head on via Old Military Road after if you like but it can be very bumpy.
    Yesterday I gave up my seat on the bus for a blind person
    Today, I lost my job as a bus driver. This world is too cruel for the kind hearted..

Moll's, Caha & Tim Healy:

https://goo.gl/maps/FP9pA

If they think you're crude, go technical; if they think you're technical, go crude. I'm a very technical boy.