Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: My Triumph TR6

Quote Originally Posted by markcro View Post
    I'm not quite sure how I feel about that.....
    Believe me: it's fabulous: not only is the new lump a fraction of the price of the OE, it's actually lighter than it. Tbh I'm shocked at just how cheap bits & pieces were for it.

And the mod has been done with no panel changes, so completely reversible.

Quote Originally Posted by galwaytt View Post
    Not mine, but a TR6 in Galway recently completed...Attachment 12857
    I've seen e46 M3 motors dropped into TR6s before. I wonder if the lack of aerodynamics ruin much of the fun

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk
    Currently - Driver's Edition
    Formerly - CBG.ie
    Drives: 2005 R53 MINI Cooper S "Archie". Hyper Blue Metallic with 17" Bullet Alloys

Quote Originally Posted by ianfitzy View Post
    I've seen e46 M3 motors dropped into TR6s before. I wonder if the lack of aerodynamics ruin much of the fun

TR6's have pretty primitive handling generally. Every car has a different feel though so some are better than others - or so I am told - never having driven another. Anyone who drove mine always told me it was one of the sweetest handling examples but I would shudder at it having more power. The car can only barely handle its original 125bph straight six.

Quote Originally Posted by ianfitzy View Post

At least that is keeping it a straight 6, and BMW bought the Triumph name in the 2000s, so technically keeping it within the family. That V8 one must be savage, but I love that Triumph straight 6, and the feel fast enough as standard.
    Aerodynamics would only come into play as higher speeds so I doubt it.
    We all stood around in a circle naked, thrusting our clinched fists in the air screaming "Jap Power!!"

Just dropping this in here for future reference.

https://rimmerbros.com/content--name...le-Information

Oops 5.10 litres of oil with filter change and I only have 5L.
    Last edited by Alfaguy; 14-05-2020 at 07:44 PM.

My TR6 as it would have looked when it left the factory in its original French blue. You can still see the french blue in the boot area. This one is almost the same vintage as mine - wonder was it on the same assembly line?

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1227773

Last edited by Alfaguy; 21-05-2020 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfaguy View Post
    My TR6 as it would have looked when it left the factory in its original French blue. You can still see the french blue in the boot area. This one is almost the same vintage as mine - wonder was it on the same assembly line?

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1227773

Same colour as my Dad's '73. What year is yours?

Currently - Driver's Edition
    Formerly - CBG.ie
    Drives: 2005 R53 MINI Cooper S "Archie". Hyper Blue Metallic with 17" Bullet Alloys

As per the link my car is serial No CR 6387 which means it was built I suppose about mid 1974 but it was not first registered until 15/7/75 with the UK reg No KLC 293N.

I note from my records that even by November 1982 the car had just been registered by its 5th owner who lived in London and unfortunately sometime shortly afterwards was paralyzed in a motor cycle accident. Then the car stood idle in a garage for 10 years.
    The restoration and its colour change to BL Signal red happened some time in 1992 and I acquired the vehicle in August 1993 and almost 27 years later here we are.

https://rimmerbros.com/content--name...le-Information

Last edited by Alfaguy; 22-05-2020 at 12:57 PM.

My job for the rest of the evening.

Last edited by Alfaguy; Yesterday at 02:16 PM.

Problem with the axle was a small leak of axle oil. But when I opened the nut it started to immediately flow out even though the car was as level as I could get it. Raised the front a bit to do the top up. Only explanation I can give for the leak was that the nut (to stop the oil coming out) which also is the filler point was very loose so may have been leaking when under pressure.

The bahco trolley jack I got has made lifting this car a lot easier and quicker that it was previously but jobs like this really cry out for a proper lift. That nut (what do they call these again??) was very hard to reach as it was pretty well obstructed by the exhaust. The angle of attack on those stands the rear wheels are on is way too steep to drive the TR6 up so the car has to be lifted onto them.

I will have to look at the transmission fluid next.

Last edited by Alfaguy; Yesterday at 10:25 PM.