Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Nurburgring trip 2015

  1. #11
    Senior Member Huggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Dummy Grid
    Posts
    1,752
    Lads, it's a great road trip but be sure you have ADAC setup before you go just in case anything stops working along the way. Having been more times than I have fingers and thumbs, if it is laps you are after consider finding a man with a car transporter and hiring him to take a bunch of cars over and back. I travelled this way a few times, took a cheap Ryanair/rental share car and met all the Irish cars at the Ring. Cost is approximately the same as ferry tickets + fuel and your car is already coming home on a trailer if anything should happen. A 944 Turbo on a trip with us had a rear wheel bearing fail on it's last lap less than four hours before our flight. Had it not been for the truck, just imagine how that would have ended!

    If you plan to rent a race car over there (as I always did) then put €2K aside for a good weekend. You will pay as much to insure your excess as you will to rent a car and you are nuts if you don't. The car, insurance, lap tickets, fuel and jar while you talk sheite adds up to 2K which ever way you come at it.

    If you haven't been before, spend a whole session learning the track before you go remotely close to your talent limit. I have had one spin at speed heading from Eschback to Brunchen and if it wasn't for 10 years of Autotest, I would have purchased an Alfa 75 and a few metres of Armco. With the exception of two corners on 23km of road, there is NO, and I mean ABSOLUTELY ZERO run off. An accident means instant €€€

    That all said, the Ring is mind blowing and a bucket list item for anybody who remotely likes cars or speed, do it!

    H
    Last edited by Huggie; 17-08-2014 at 01:01 PM.
    The noisy one in the corner.

  2. #12
    ye I agree with huggie iv been 5-6 times and any groups I bring I always make sure they have European cover that includes repatriation to Ireland ,I also always stress to the lads that it is critical to drive the ring at about 70-80 % of their ability its not a race and you are never goin to get the low times everyone thinks they can after playing gran turismo ,its better to go and enjoy the trip over and enjoy the ring for the atmosphere and heritage it has don't try to be a record breaker or you will be a statistic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    if your car corners like its on rails !then your not driving fast enough......

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by wagon dec View Post
    ye I agree with huggie iv been 5-6 times and any groups I bring I always make sure they have European cover that includes repatriation to Ireland ,I also always stress to the lads that it is critical to drive the ring at about 70-80 % of their ability its not a race and you are never goin to get the low times everyone thinks they can after playing gran turismo ,its better to go and enjoy the trip over and enjoy the ring for the atmosphere and heritage it has don't try to be a record breaker or you will be a statistic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I think I spent 4-5 months prior to our trip in 2012 preparing the car , but of coarse breakdown is a must and plenty of research is vital.

  4. #14
    This is the first year I haven't been since 2003 I think.. When the price of a lap was 11euro iirc. The cost of a ring trip these days is a serious wallet burning affair, never mind even thinking about crashing.
    I had to stop, constantly chasing lap times quickly became extremely risky and dangerous.

    Like huggie id also recommend the fly/hire, it gives good piece of mind, mechanically and if the worst happens.

    (@huggie.. I also had a few close calls on those 75's, things were widow makers if it was anyway damp :0
    looking back now, I think that maybe, every now and again, I should have braked a little earlier

  5. #15
    Senior Member Huggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Dummy Grid
    Posts
    1,752
    Quote Originally Posted by 1300starlet View Post
    This is the first year I haven't been since 2003 I think.. When the price of a lap was 11euro iirc. The cost of a ring trip these days is a serious wallet burning affair, never mind even thinking about crashing.
    I had to stop, constantly chasing lap times quickly became extremely risky and dangerous.

    Like huggie id also recommend the fly/hire, it gives good piece of mind, mechanically and if the worst happens.

    (@huggie.. I also had a few close calls on those 75's, things were widow makers if it was anyway damp :0
    I only made the mistake of renting a 75 once and it really was a piece of crap. I can see how it was once a truly brilliant car but it was well spanked before I got to it and the weather on that trip was monsoon! On the upside, I hired Ed Healy known as Hamerwerferer on Octane as a tutor and kept him as a friend until he sadly passed away.
    I had about half a dozen Clio 197 rentals and four R26R rentals. It's an addictive passtime!

    H
    The noisy one in the corner.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Huggie View Post
    I only made the mistake of renting a 75 once and it really was a piece of crap. I can see how it was once a truly brilliant car but it was well spanked before I got to it and the weather on that trip was monsoon! On the upside, I hired Ed Healy known as Hamerwerferer on Octane as a tutor and kept him as a friend until he sadly passed away.
    I had about half a dozen Clio 197 rentals and four R26R rentals. It's an addictive passtime!

    H
    Ah so there was no transaxle bushes in yours either god they were piles of sh1te.
    I got friendly with alot of folks over there, and in 06 ended up buying an e30 325 trackcar, it was by far the best decision i made, storage only cost me 5er a week, and i did over 500 laps in it.
    Bit of maintenance and all i put on it was consumables, it was a great setup.
    Next year im doing the RCN in a clio cup car, cannot wait!

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by 1300starlet View Post
    Ah so there was no transaxle bushes in yours either god they were piles of sh1te.
    I got friendly with alot of folks over there, and in 06 ended up buying an e30 325 trackcar, it was by far the best decision i made, storage only cost me 5er a week, and i did over 500 laps in it.
    Bit of maintenance and all i put on it was consumables, it was a great setup.
    Next year im doing the RCN in a clio cup car, cannot wait!

    Sounds like the best setup for sure!! There are a lot of storage facilities in the Eiffel region now catering for the likes of that.
    How did you go about entering to race the Clio?? Is it not VLN that you will be racing in or is the RCN held on separate dates??


    As for my experience, Huggie is right. Even if you think the car is warmed up, spend the first laps as sighting laps. Grip levels change a lot and ANYONE can get caught out regardless of driver experience or not. I've only done 10 or so laps this year but had a spin in perfectly dry conditions after hitting a patch of oil (no damage thankfully!).
    Unless you are on a mission to blow a shedload of money in a very short space of time, drive within the limits of your capabilities and of the car. You just need to look at BTG crash videos to see how easy it can all go wrong!

  8. #18
    its one of the only holidays or trips you can go on where it can go from the best trip in your life, to an absolute financial nightmare in the blink of an eye. @ciaran, no not the VLN, (cant afford it!) the RCN is the Rundstrecken Challenge Nürburgring, its a 15 lap race, moreso against the clock than the people you are racing with, where the overall/and average time matters not necessarily your position at the finish line. Although in practice, the racing is just as intense as everyone is going as fast as they can anyway. Im driving a 2011 clio cup car, 6sp sequetial box etc, really looking forward to it!

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by 1300starlet View Post
    its one of the only holidays or trips you can go on where it can go from the best trip in your life, to an absolute financial nightmare in the blink of an eye. @ciaran, no not the VLN, (cant afford it!) the RCN is the Rundstrecken Challenge Nürburgring, its a 15 lap race, moreso against the clock than the people you are racing with, where the overall/and average time matters not necessarily your position at the finish line. Although in practice, the racing is just as intense as everyone is going as fast as they can anyway. Im driving a 2011 clio cup car, 6sp sequetial box etc, really looking forward to it!
    Sounds like a great feeder series for VLN! Would be interested to hear more about it! Maybe head up and watch a round some weekend!

  10. #20
    Im planning on going in September when the ferry is cheap in my 320ci

    edit. Wow, didnt mean to revive a dead thread...
    Last edited by Theliam; 18-04-2019 at 10:11 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •