Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Want to Go Motor Racing?

Want to Go Motor Racing?

I will show my hand here at the start. I am promoting the Fiesta Zetec class at Mondello this year. In the unlikely event you haven't heard of it, it runs pretty much standard Fiesta 1.25 Zetecs with the usual safety equipment but no mechanical modifications.
    The compression ratio can be raised slightly and the likes of Steve Griffin or others can do this and set it up for you for circa €300/ The cars run a control lowering spring, YOKO A050 tyres and for 2019, we have introduced a control KYB shock- just €154 for the complete set, inc vat! We also have a new technical team and checks will be far more stringent and regular than before.
    As well as this, we will be enforcing the regulation which states that no car may start a race with damage from a previous meeting. This will not only ensure that the cars look better, but will discourage contact also.
    Cars are available for circa €2,000 or can be rented for as little as €300 per meeting. If you want to see them in action, come to Mondello Park this weekend, the championship kicks off with a triple header and has a new sponsor, Keelan Construction, and by far the biggest grid of all classes!

https://motorsport.ie/2019/04/10/kee...-zetec-series/
    Davrian Imp Saloon, 300bhp Ritmo Turbo, Austin 7 Special, MK5 Golf GTI, Westfield 1600 Ford.

This looks great as an entry point - would like to try my hand when I get some more time. Can't make it this weekend but will be watching with interest.

hmmmm You know I want to do this... So whats stopping me..... Life I guess.... Cant get time to fix what I have..

So for people who haven't had a speed license before.... Ive only every had Clubman B for autotesting etc.... Whats the process for getting on the grid before even getting a car?? I think If I got that sorted €300 car rental is just what I need to get hooked...

OK I answered my own question.. Taken from MI website...

How to get Started
    Licence and Age Requirements.
    Applicants for a first time RACE category "National B" licence must first purchase an "Introduction to Motorsport" Starter Pack at a cost of €10, which is available from the Motorsport Ireland Office on 01 6775628, and successfully complete a Motorsport Ireland "Introduction to Motorsport Course" (IMC) in Mondello Park. The pack contains the following:

Licence application forms
    Motorsport Yearbook,DVD format
    Details about the course
    Some additional informational literature
    A course booking reference number

The cost of the IMC course is approximately the same as one race entry fee. Full details are available from the Motorsport Ireland Office and on this website. The "Yearbook" and a calendar of events are available electronically on this website. You can also download a Licence Application Form here.

The minimum age limit for Circuit Racing is 14 years. A medical certificate is required and this is part of the licence application form. It is not necessary for applicants to hold a Road Traffic Act licence. Competitors under 18 years of age require written permission from their parents or legal guardians. A first time licence costs as little as €40 if you are a member of one of our Affiliated Motor Clubs. The cost to non-members is €80. A first time Junior Race Licence is free of charge.
    All beginner Race competitors are restricted to a maximum cubic capacity (c.c.). The “Junior” Race licence, for competitors from 14 – 16 years of age inclusive, entitles the holder to drive in the Junior Race Class, www.ginettajuniorireland.com, which are 1400c.c. or the equivalent MSA series. The Race “National B” grade licence will entitle you to drive vehicles up to 2000c.c. When you gain some experience and obtain 5 event finish results you can upgrade your licence to a "National A", where there is no engine size limit. The "Introduction to Motorsport Course" will count as one upgrading signature. A further 5 event finishes will allow you to upgrade to "International C".

60mm lowering springs with standard length shocks? I haven't a clue about track racing but doesnt that blow the shock seals?

I hope there is a rejuvenation in the class as it should have been a great long term success . and had huge entries the first few years, im not sure how many cars are competing these days.
    Hopefully the technical team are able to keep the cars within the spirit of competition
    BAD SPELLERS OF THE WORLD UNTIE

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    60mm lowering springs with standard length shocks? I haven't a clue about track racing but doesnt that blow the shock seals?
    In a word, no. The series has been going since 2013 and there have been no such problems that I am aware of. The reason we went to a control shock this year is that the old reg was a little unclear and when we began to check, there were a variety of different types and brands being used.
    Davrian Imp Saloon, 300bhp Ritmo Turbo, Austin 7 Special, MK5 Golf GTI, Westfield 1600 Ford.

Quote Originally Posted by chewypops View Post
    I hope there is a rejuvenation in the class as it should have been a great long term success . and had huge entries the first few years, im not sure how many cars are competing these days.
    Hopefully the technical team are able to keep the cars within the spirit of competition
    Thanks! It was down in the teens at one stage last year. I am confident the new technical team will level the playing field again- making the class even more attractive to the owner/driver.
    Even though we are only beginning with this, the class has comfortably the biggest grid this weekend, with 23 cars entered so far. Onwards and upwards!

How modern of a Fiesta can be used?

Quote Originally Posted by pedrosixfour View Post
    How modern of a Fiesta can be used?

Just the 1996-2002 Model. 1.25 Zetec engine only. 3 or 5 door variants both allowed.