Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5k km limit on 3 month warranty

The other point I think should be taken into account is the value of the car.
    People seem to think this is relevant, where in fact, realistically, the dealer probably made the same amount of money off your 14k Audi as he does off a 2k Micra!
    If the warranty does infact turn out to be 5k limit, then the dealer is being fairly good to offer any kind of goodwill on the bill, most large establishments would absorb the whole cost, because they have the financial backing to do so, but they are not obliged to do anything once a car is out of warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by twail View Post
    The other point I think should be taken into account is the value of the car.
    People seem to think this is relevant, where in fact, realistically, the dealer probably made the same amount of money off your 14k Audi as he does off a 2k Micra!
    If the warranty does infact turn out to be 5k limit, then the dealer is being fairly good to offer any kind of goodwill on the bill, most large establishments would absorb the whole cost, because they have the financial backing to do so, but they are not obliged to do anything once a car is out of warranty.
    Very much doubt that he only made the same as on a 2k micra and regardless of what's on warranty it was 3 months I agreed to verbally with no mention of restriction anyway looks like I may have to take up his offer funny how if u buy a 200 euro telly you have a longer warranty than on a far more expensive product thought consumers had rights

Quote Originally Posted by Bold View Post
    Very much doubt that he only made the same as on a 2k micra and regardless of what's on warranty it was 3 months I agreed to verbally with no mention of restriction anyway looks like I may have to take up his offer funny how if u buy a 200 euro telly you have a longer warranty than on a far more expensive product thought consumers had rights
    What warranty is offered with a brand new version of your car? Surely that's where you should compare warranties? What warranty would you get on a used TV.

What age is your car? What mileage is in it? These are pertinent questions when it comes to what you are looking for? The 5,000km limit looks like it is designed to be long enough to find any fault that may have been on the car when you bought it. It would be unusual for any warranty to have no mileage limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bold View Post
    As I said previously, it all comes down to what was on the order form that YOU SIGNED. If he is claiming that there is a 5km limit, which sounds completely resonable, then it will have to be stated there. If not, then he will have to fork out the entire amount.

and in regards to the amount he made, you'd be suprised how little some dealers make on cars.

Quote Originally Posted by HalDecks View Post
    What warranty is offered with a brand new version of your car? Surely that's where you should compare warranties? What warranty would you get on a used TV.

What age is your car? What mileage is in it? These are pertinent questions when it comes to what you are looking for? The 5,000km limit looks like it is designed to be long enough to find any fault that may have been on the car when you bought it. It would be unusual for any warranty to have no mileage limit.
    All valid points.
    A second hand car is a second hand car.

I get angry when I see the word warranty in relation to secondhand cars.
    Whatever happened to the concept of taking responsibility for your own actions.
    You can't afford new, so therefore you buy secondhand and accept responsibility for the fact that all the parts of the car have been used and are therefore liable to fail at any time.
    When you buy new of course you are entitled to a warranty. This will have terms and conditions attached. The manufacturer has to be protected from fools and people that misuse and abuse.
    So if a manufacturer puts a year warranty on their product, why should a seller of a secondhand car be expected to do the same.
    Obviously the car must be roadworthy and fit for the purpose, but for how long. The law states for a "reasonable time", which 5000 km is .
    Most secondhand dealers give 3 months on the engine and gearbox, which does not include the clutch, dual mass flywheel, DPF or any sensors and anncillieries attached.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat_GTA View Post
    I would, with all respect, take the offer from the fella who sold the car & learn to read the fine print on future deals OR just ask the question of the seller.

at this point there is no benefit for you or the seller of the car for you to go back complaining about how 5k km's is not a sufficient warranty. That's a point shat should have be negotiated during the deal.
    That's absolutely the advice I would give too. Paying half is a fair offer, you should take it.

Quote Originally Posted by SProcket View Post
    I get angry when I see the word warranty in relation to secondhand cars.
    Whatever happened to the concept of taking responsibility for your own actions.
    You can't afford new, so therefore you buy secondhand and accept responsibility for the fact that all the parts of the car have been used and are therefore liable to fail at any time.
    When you buy new of course you are entitled to a warranty. This will have terms and conditions attached. The manufacturer has to be protected from fools and people that misuse and abuse.
    So if a manufacturer puts a year warranty on their product, why should a seller of a secondhand car be expected to do the same.
    Obviously the car must be roadworthy and fit for the purpose, but for how long. The law states for a "reasonable time", which 5000 km is .
    Most secondhand dealers give 3 months on the engine and gearbox, which does not include the clutch, dual mass flywheel, DPF or any sensors and anncillieries attached.
    Its one of the expected perks of paying retail money for a car though. There are plenty garages that give real warranties on used cars.

My wife got a 3 month/5k km warranty on her car,which only cost €5k.