Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5k km limit on 3 month warranty

5k km limit on 3 month warranty

As above is it normal to have a 5000km limit on a 3 month warranty from a second hand car dealer I mean surely 3 months is short enough on say a 14 grand car. Reason I ask is bought an a4 off a dealer and before the 3 months expired engine light came on intake manifold position sensor costs nearly 500 for part alone so dealer says I have gone over the 5000km limit but will pay for half the part as a goodwill gesture. I'm not happy about this as when deal was agreed it was on the terms of a 3 month warranty no mention of mileage limit. Advice and opinions appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by mario andretti View Post
    5 k sounds enough as that is average mileage for 3 months as did you read the warranty before signing. Have to say if he is willing to pay half then he is being genorous
    Unfortunately just signed the form was in a rush late in the evening I actually don't agree that 5k is average for 3 months on a diesel car but I appreciate your perspective just from my point of view I paid 14 grand for a product and I would expect to get more than 10 weeks trouble free motoring

Its a hard one to call and really down to what the written warrenty terms were when you bought the car

If it says 5000km then thats the warrenty and the dealer is being nice by offering to pay half

On a car that value i would give it as goodwill myself TBH

Quote Originally Posted by Porscheman View Post
    Its a hard one to call and really down to what the written warrenty terms were when you bought the car

If it says 5000km then thats the warrenty and the dealer is being nice by offering to pay half

On a car that value i would give it as goodwill myself TBH
    When discussing money with the dealer I specifically asked about warranty and what it entailed and was told 3 months no mention of mileage limit that was what I agreed on 3 months if he had of mentioned 5k then fair enough if I agreed but I didn't ok I signed a piece of paper in a hurry as I had somewhere to be but 3 months is what I was told and expected just wondering do all second hand dealers use this 5k limit

I've seen it before so it may be common
    20K per annum is average
    As mario says above, there has to be some limit as for all the dealer knows you could be doing mega miles
    the flip side of this is that you could have done very little mileage and the problem wouldn't have shown up until well after the 3 months
    take the offer of paying half would be my advice
    No colour or religion ever stopped the bullet from a gun

I'd only manage 100 miles in a yaris before I'd stop and burn it
    No colour or religion ever stopped the bullet from a gun

Quote Originally Posted by Pat_GTA View Post
    on the subject of annual mileage, i have to laugh when i hear the Liberity Insurance ads, 250 p.a. for a '08 yaris, been driven by a 40 y.o. teacher form Wexford, annual mileage of 8k kms ..... thats < 100mles per week. I more than that per week walking.....
    they're always teachers and accountants too

Do you not have a copy of the order form that you signed? It will have the details of the warranty on it. So it should say 3 months or 5,000kms.

If you don't have a copy, you can ask the dealer to see there copy.

Quote Originally Posted by squidwardtentacles View Post
    I'd only manage 100 miles in a yaris before I'd stop and burn it
    You don't have balls of steel so!! I did 102,000 MILES in a k11. Should be a medal for that imo....

@ op I'd be taking a look at what you signed to see what terms are in it. Though personally I think 5k is too little, especially on a diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by Bold View Post
    As above is it normal to have a 5000km limit on a 3 month warranty from a second hand car dealer I mean surely 3 months is short enough on say a 14 grand car. Reason I ask is bought an a4 off a dealer and before the 3 months expired engine light came on intake manifold position sensor costs nearly 500 for part alone so dealer says I have gone over the 5000km limit but will pay for half the part as a goodwill gesture. I'm not happy about this as when deal was agreed it was on the terms of a 3 month warranty no mention of mileage limit. Advice and opinions appreciated
    Are you aware that the dealer is not obliged to offer you a warranty? He is obliged to sell you a car that's fit for purpose.