Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132

Thread: Why am I soft in the middle when...

Myfitnesspal is good alright and since Christmas I'm all Garmin connected with steps and floors cals and bpm and every other metric you can think of. It works though.
    Fair play on the commitment AG. You're obviously still getting out on those nice lycra bikes as often as the leather ones

So my weight has been up and down like a yoyo , still not really soft in the middle - I guess decades of sit-ups must count for something and the odd bit of calisthenics and swimming over the last year has helped.
    Anyway beginning of May last year I fell away to my lightest in a very long time due to some poor mental health - 12 stone and falling rapidly.
    Back up to a more healthy & bulked 13.5 now, maybe a smidge less after finally doing more than 1 cycle every 3 months.
    Anyway I've been signed up to go attack some Alps at the end of May, which should certainly help to avoid similar health issues....
    Currently I'm probably the 'unfittest' I've been in my entire life for a variety of reasons, strength and flexibility possibly at the other end of the spectrum, but strength won't get me over dem hills.

I'd like to be somewhat prepared without going mental on hours of saddle time. I've always been a kind of 'go from the gun' kind of cyclist, ie solo runs pretty much as hard as I can go whether it be 1,2 or 3 hours on the basis of harder is better, simples...
    Some buddies suggest there is a smarter way, so I tried last Sunday to do a couple of hours just spinning out and only really going hard on descents for shits and giggles.
    Kinda came from being out with a mate who has a coach, programme and routine set out and he's constantly cursing at me for half wheeling and taking him out of his zone on the climbs.

I'm not getting a power meter or any more cycling crap, I've way too much as it is. Few pointers ?
    It'll be 4-5 hours of constant climbing and then hopefully soaking in a spring/pool for the afternoon , probably 3 days.

Is it an event or just a couple of ye doing it yourselves?

Pacing is key for long climbs like that. Nothing like an impassive Alp to put manners on ya. You could be 2 hours climbing one of em, a constant, no let up gradient, so you can't take a run at it.

"Like you'd ate an elephant" as Se疣 Kelly said

Quote Originally Posted by foyler View Post
    So my weight has been up and down like a yoyo , still not really soft in the middle - I guess decades of sit-ups must count for something and the odd bit of calisthenics and swimming over the last year has helped.
    Anyway beginning of May last year I fell away to my lightest in a very long time due to some poor mental health - 12 stone and falling rapidly.
    Back up to a more healthy & bulked 13.5 now, maybe a smidge less after finally doing more than 1 cycle every 3 months.
    Anyway I've been signed up to go attack some Alps at the end of May, which should certainly help to avoid similar health issues....
    Currently I'm probably the 'unfittest' I've been in my entire life for a variety of reasons, strength and flexibility possibly at the other end of the spectrum, but strength won't get me over dem hills.

I'd like to be somewhat prepared without going mental on hours of saddle time. I've always been a kind of 'go from the gun' kind of cyclist, ie solo runs pretty much as hard as I can go whether it be 1,2 or 3 hours on the basis of harder is better, simples...
    Some buddies suggest there is a smarter way, so I tried last Sunday to do a couple of hours just spinning out and only really going hard on descents for shits and giggles.
    Kinda came from being out with a mate who has a coach, programme and routine set out and he's constantly cursing at me for half wheeling and taking him out of his zone on the climbs.

I'm not getting a power meter or any more cycling crap, I've way too much as it is. Few pointers ?
    It'll be 4-5 hours of constant climbing and then hopefully soaking in a spring/pool for the afternoon , probably 3 days.
    Fwiw - warming to the view of late that hard core interval training is the most efficient way of getting fit.

Have been struggling to get time of late, so changed the normal 3 x forty minute runs per week into 1 x forty minute session of 12 x 60 seconds flat out/75 seconds rest, plus 5 mins warm up & cool-down jog either side of it. At it for the last 3-4 weeks. My recovery rate seems to have improved a fair bit, and resting heart rate has gone down 4/5 bpm. I usually feel better after a run too, surprisingly.

There's a truckload of info on it across 't web - but hard to judge until you give it a shot. Came to the conclusion here that for me at least, it works - gives you a much better return on your time. Once the weather improves and I get back on the bike, I think I'll test it there too.

Much like what you did a while back Bloke , 5-6 lads in a van with a local on board and friends at the other end, flying to geneva then I think the Galibier features so possibly not as long as teide ( my only similar experience ) but less easier sections and more % I壇 imagine.

2-3 years back I wouldn稚 have given it a moments planning but present status requires a mildly hectic 2 months to ensure I知 capable and knowing me the pointy end.
    Would also like to look forward to it rather than dread😉.

Maybe I知 not far off so Alan, I had been pushing an unreasonably heavy gear to help build strength but will need to get back to 1 weekly 3 hour + spin to be anyway ready for 4-5 hours of climbing , keeping in mind there値l be a buzz factor that値l give you an extra hour and then just some grinding and lots of drool & gritted teeth.

Most recent health research also suggests the average or heavier person would see a lot more general health benefit from 5-10 mins of max effort than a couple of hours power walking.

Ah, it'll be fabulous. Galibier is just awesome. -Planning a similar trip myself and a band of brothers for next year. We're back in Majorca this Easter but this'll be our fourth trip there so - time to look further afield and stretch the legs a bit.

Did Lautaret and Galibier last summer - murderous without the stop at the Irish bar at Col du Lautaret for the requisite caffeine top up.

Weather is the key I think. Cool and dry and you'll get up those slopes nice and steady, but if the summer sun's out forget it - the heat exhaustion factor will down your aims faster than any other single factor - including general fitness. Altitude starts to play a role too - Lautaret is about 2000m but you've another 10km and nearly 700m to get your selfie at the top of Galibier. I found a 20C temp difference with Bourg d'Oisans and the summit of the G.

Glandon, Croix de Fer, Telegraph, Madeleine, and l'Alpe d'Huez are all within easy reach, and a 90 min drive gets your near Col d'Izoard to complete your top trumps set.
    Last edited by Twinspark; 20-03-2019 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by foyler View Post

I had been pushing an unreasonably heavy gear to help build strength but will need to get back to 1 weekly 3 hour + spin to be anyway ready for 4-5 hours of climbing , keeping in mind there値l be a buzz factor that値l give you an extra hour and then just some grinding and lots of drool & gritted teeth.
    Stick 250ml of pickle-juice somewhere for when the cramp kicks in and you'll be fine man. It's only pain, you're tough