Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast

Thread: Why am I soft in the middle when...

Sounds nuts. I've never had a concussion thankfully - at least that I know of!

Losing weight and living healthily is all well and good, and sounds so basic when you break it down into its most simple parts. But there's a reason we're an obese nation. It seems that huge swathes of the population have a lot of trouble with the simple formula of knowing what's the right thing to eat, and actually making those choices regularly. And I'm FAR from immune to that myself. I've never, and don't ever intend to use the exercise tracker tech but I suppose it must work as some sort of motivational tool to keep people on the right track and I've definitely seen the cult of those 3 rings of whatever the hell they are on the apple watches.

I've never counted before though and it's eye opening when you first start!

If you've any sense then it won't teach you much you didn't kinda know already. If it's more-ish, then you shouldn't be eating it!!!

Then again, see yer wan on operation transformation, at her wits end as to how she might possibly lose some weight and it turns out she's drinking 12 cans of coke a day...

I dunno what makes you more un😎 bloke .....the lusting after creamy smooth , cocooning Lexi, the whole vegan, calorie counting , fart measuring to make you look better in lycra😜 , or the fact that you openly admit to watching operation transformation😳

Whatever happened to the 740i driving, motorbike racing , gig slaying rockstar?

Spose at least you’re still a funny fcukwr sometimes...,

Quote Originally Posted by foyler View Post
    I dunno what makes you more un�� bloke .....the lusting after creamy smooth , cocooning Lexi, the whole vegan, calorie counting , fart measuring to make you look better in lycra�� , or the fact that you openly admit to watching operation transformation��

Whatever happened to the 740i driving, motorbike racing , gig slaying rockstar?

Spose at least you’re still a funny fcukwr sometimes...,
    That guy's gone baby. Lonnng gone. -The ol TV remote isn't often in my hand these days anymore. I had to leave the room after 15 minutes of Love Island last week.

Anyway, fcuk you, I'm not doing too bad. 3 litre manual bm and a swift sport. That's both A and B road hooning covered!

I'm only seeing this thread now. As I run a gym I'm more than happy to answer any questions on the subject.

There's been some generally good advice though.

If you're soft in the middle, it's down to only one thing...over time you've taken in more calories than you've needed. Now that might sound pretty obvious but sometimes (quite a lot actually) there's a reluctance to tackle and take responsibility for that.

Quote Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
    One of the things I don't want in my life is some flipping app telling me how to live or logging sh1te day in and day out so...
    No-one does, but if I was to advise doing one thing for your health and waistline it's to track your calories (religiously) for at least a full week, if not two. That'll open your eyes to exactly what you need to do.

There are, as with anything a better and worse way of tackling that problem, I won't waffle on about them but if anyone has questions feel free.

That's cool dude. Where's the gym?

The fitness capital of Ireland...Sandyford.

Had a bad day over the summer when the Mrs bought a new scales and we realised the old one had been under-reading by about 2kg, so basically we both put on a half a stone overnight .
    So after about 4 years of thinking I was ca 70kg / 11 stone, when I was in fact about 72 / 11 & a half, I set my mind to getting down to a true 11.

Watched a very good GCN video by Conor Dunne about how the off season is really the best time to lose weight cos during the season when you're training hard you need to fuel properly and it's fierce hard to train hard while also trying to run a calorie defecit.
    Anyway, since going back to school I'm not doing as much cycling so I can concentrate on diet while still doing some longer slower fat burning miles. Weighed myself today, bit of a cheat weight cos it was directly after a spin and I was hungry and thirsty, but my weight trajectory has been consistently trending downward the last 3 weeks.

Still soft in the middle of course cos I haven't been doing any of the abs work that Foyler has been prescribing, but I will.... I will.

@cymk I've been thinking about taking up some strength/resistance training over the winter. What would you recommend?

153lbs!? Bleedin' eck that's light for a man of your height. I've been wintering a covid 175-177 but I think the lightest I probably ever saw in recent years was about 164. Funnily enough, with the extra timber I'm setting PR's everywhere on the bike. Whether that's fitness, form or a factor of the weight I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
    153lbs!? Bleedin' eck that's light for a man of your height. I've been wintering a covid 175-177 but I think the lightest I probably ever saw in recent years was about 164. Funnily enough, with the extra timber I'm setting PR's everywhere on the bike. Whether that's fitness, form or a factor of the weight I don't know.
    I hear ya. I go best on the bike when I'm fuelling generously as well, which makes sense of course. I'm on an intermitting fasting thing the last 3 weeks where, basically my first meal is when I get home from school, which is about 3.30. I eat plenty then, but all the right stuff - oats, fruit, veg, good plant proteins, beans etc, and eat again for dinner with the family. I've also cut out oils in my cooking and have found that there's no need for dousing the likes of roast vegetables and stuff in oil at all. Weekends when I've a spin then I fuel up with breakfast as normal and eat on the bike on the way around, as you do. I allow myself a modicum of indulgence on a long spin day as well which makes up for the mid-week-long purge .

The great thing about the plant-based eating is that when you eat, you can fcukin stuff your face. It's all healthy, low calorie density, high fibre etc so you're not limiting portion sizes and you're not getting up from the dinner table unsatiated. It avoids that constant gnawing hunger that causes all diets to end in failure.