Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why am I soft in the middle when...

Why am I soft in the middle when...

the rest of my life is so hard

Seeing as we're all on the same boat here, pretending that we want to improve our TT'ing and our swimming, and our quarter miles, and our transitions and our climbing and all that rubbish, when the real reason any of us puts on lycra or speedo's or jumps in a lake or on a bike, is to lose weight and look better naked... . I can say with 100 percent absolute certainty that if cycling made me fatter, I wouldn't fcuking do it for a second!

So I thought I'd ask, when is it enough? How trim is trim enough?

I considered myself pretty trim this year, I had a good year on the bike, lots of miles, bit of racing, bit of craic. As a result I was a consistent 12 stone all year, which for me (5 11 and a bit) is very good.

Lately, like the last 3 to 4 weeks, I've buttoned down to my winter training and I've really clamped down on my diet, no sweets or chocolate, watching my overall calorie intake generally, I'm off the drink completely etc. As a result I'm down now to 11 and a half stone. That's territory I haven't explored since I was in my mid teens. But I still, if I'm honest, could lose.... I'd say another half stone, or close to it, in terms of body fat. Y'know I look skinny now, and everyone I know can't but notice and comment on it, but I'm still not gonna be whipping the t-shirt off when sun comes out, or posing by pools anywhere soon (or ever!). -So how does one.... hone the almost finished article, so to speak? I am doing a gym routine which, apart from bench presses and crunches, is exclusively leg work to build up some pedalling power.

Is this where specific diet stuff helps? Is it the body building "cutting" phase that I need? (Though less extreme than that).

my wife talks like this.

I like beer, chips and minstrels!!!!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by bloke View Post

Is this where specific diet stuff helps? Is it the body building "cutting" phase that I need? (Though less extreme than that).
    Cutting the body fat back to 4-5% will give you that 'ripped' look alright. Just keep on with the less eating regime and dehydrate yourself fully prior to the photo-shoots, but with hardly any body fat, you'll pick up more injuries (ask any boxer) and feel the cold more - seriously. Despite the bad press, that fat layer does have a few pretty important functions Just saying..
    Last edited by -alan-; 12-12-2013 at 05:29 PM.

You're already cutting. You wanna bulk and build muscle you need to do what every cyclist seems to dread and eat more, just eat clean. I've been losing weight the last few months and refuse to weigh myself til Chirstmas Eve, then all hell is going to break lose for three days.

I was doing my weightlifting for a good while, but between all the cardio work and the eating on less calories, my lifts just stalled and I wasn't prepared to eat more tbh. Maybe circuit training would work for building the more honed figure?

you cant loose bodyfat from 'parts' of your body unfortunately, so they only way to to keep at a calorie deficit until you loose all the BF you want to loose. people go on about eating this and that, not eating this and that - but it all boils down to calorie intake. obviously eating healthy is better, and will get better results, more nutrition etc but if you ate 4 mars bars a day, and this was still a deficit to what you are burning daily you'll still loose body fat.

calorie deficit = loss of bodyfat, but if your not working out, you'll also loose muscle mass too

Quote Originally Posted by bloke View Post
    but I'm still not gonna be whipping the t-shirt off when sun comes out, or posing by pools anywhere soon (or ever!)
    Can I ask why wouldnt you? At 11.5 stone your probably not overweight

Edit: Just after reading the other responses - its cause your skin and bone?! ie a cyclist!
    Last edited by Johno; 12-12-2013 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieirl View Post
    my wife talks like this.

I like beer, chips and minstrels!!!!
    Here here!

The cycling will only build your legs, look at the pros. If you want a middle and top you're going to have to start working the middle and top. Circuit training, pull ups, push ups, crunches - all fairly simple body weight exercises that will make the difference, but you'll start adding upper muscle mass which the roadies hate!

11.5 stone is mongo light for 5' 11" male.

edit: If cycling is the only thing you like doing, start into a bit of mountain biking. There's a lot more upper body strength required for lifting the bike over obstacles and forcing the front end to bite in corners etc. compared to the just sit there and pedal roadie life.
    Last edited by dimitri; 12-12-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dimitri View Post
    The cycling will only build your legs, look at the pros. If you want a middle and top you're going to have to start working the middle and top. Circuit training, pull ups, push ups, crunches - all fairly simple body weight exercises that will make the difference, but you'll start adding upper muscle mass which the roadies hate!
    And IMO you will have to look at more than just your calorie intake - the make-up of what you intake matters (that old chestnut again )