Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Cash (Otherwise known as Safety) Cameras Spotted.

Cash (Otherwise known as Safety) Cameras Spotted.

As above, there has been talk of restarting this by both myself and several others. Given there will be an increase in their use according to a recent report, I felt it was time to bring her back.

Any issues, feel free to delete.

ill start off by saying -

cherrywood slip off the M50, at least once a week. Better to just stick to 58 kmh and watch as people ahead of you and along side you frantically brake for the builders van pulled in where the camera would usually be.
    Anon. - "owned since 2004. never had a disc on her."

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    As above, there has been talk of restarting this by both myself and several others. Given there will be an increase in their use according to a recent report, I felt it was time to bring her back.

Any issues, feel free to delete.
    No issues here, all locations are supposed to be publicly known.

Increase in hours they'll spend at the current locations or an increase in locations? Eh, just so I remain aware of my, eh, safety.

Quote Originally Posted by dimitri View Post
    Increase in hours they'll spend at the current locations or an increase in locations? Eh, just so I remain aware of my, eh, safety.
    Both.

Also, unmarked Garda car spotted on the R121 near Blanch Corporate park less than half an hour ago, not sure if it was after someone for speeding, but it looked like it. It's a 60kph stretch, but most drivers exceed this.
    Last edited by crank_case; 06-11-2013 at 03:13 PM.

Yikes. I must update my satellite navigation system

Thanks for that Crank. I'm working a week over that side of town soon, I'll keep an eye out!

Dublin, Navan road:

Inbound towards city centre:
    > Speed van just after the Esso station between the M50 slip road and halfway house / Ashtown Roundabout. 60km/h zone. The van is just at the point where the limit increases to 80. Checking the 60k zone.
    > Further down the road towards the halfway house, Garda TC with tripod mounted speed camera- usually at night and on the hatched marking where the right hand most lane merges . 80km/h zone (but could be checking as far back as the 60km/h, I don't know the range on those bad boys).

Outbound:
    > Unmarked car sometimes parked underneath the bridge (Navan Road train station). Handheld gun.
    > Just after Esso station underneath the traffic information sign. Speed Van. Again between halfway house and M50 ramp.

R118 Rock Road, Blackrock, towards city centre
    > Just after passing the Blackrock clinic / college and where the road diverges to two lanes and a bus lane, Garda standing in bus stop with handheld. Spotted at least 3 times.

Limerick / Clare
    > Killaloe Road R463- heading towards Killaloe - Go Safe Van just after the Clonlara Bridge on right hand side parked in farm entrance. 80k zone
    > Killaloe Road R463- heading towards Ardnacrusha / Limerick- Go Safe Van just after the Clonlara Bridge on right hand side near housing estate entrance. 80k zone
    > R463 at Parteen / O'Connors Cross (Clancy's shop)- speed van outside Corbally Football Club checking traffic outbound from Limerick. 60k zone
    > Ennis Road Limerick- outbound- across from Xtra Vision / Old O'Mara Motors checking traffic outbound from the City. 50k zone.

Bloody hell Monza, I grew up 5 mins away from those petrol stations and it was always very, very lightly policed.

Clearly they have copped on to the high volume and potential revenue on that stretch. One of my first speeding tickets was in the exact spot you describe heading inbound after the petrol station, the guard was actually jumping up and down he was so excited - 8 odd years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Bloody hell Monza, I grew up 5 mins away from those petrol stations and it was always very, very lightly policed.
    If that's the stretch I'm thinking off (old N3 before they put in the toll road), then it has an insanely low limit, like 60kph on a wide road that used to be regarded as safe enough to have a 100kph limit or thereabouts. New tolled road comes in, old road suddenly gets silly low limit and camera enforcement, but it's not about revenue generation? Nah of course not...

There was an expensive Transit sized astro turf grass patch installed at the end of an equally expensive looking Armco guard rail on the M11. It is about 200m before the Bray/Fasseroe exit on the Southbound carriageway which means within the 120kmh limit area but just before the transition to 100kmh. I believe these astro turf parking bays have been installed on Motorways all over the nation. Is it possible that the extra recording announced recently is the deployment of vans on these astro turf patches?

If it is the case, then something really ought to be said to the RSA/Garda via local representatives. I know I tend to be a bit cranky about these sort of things but the safety statistics coming from our motorways are pretty impressive compared to the single carriageway National Routes all around the country. There can never be an argument made as long as mathematics exists to justify increased policing of speeds on these roads unless it is justified purely on the basis of footfall and income. No other measure will ever suggest even a positive given how many lives the motorways have saved.

Can we all keep an eye out for vans deployed on the astro-turf motorway sites. These are easily identified by a long armco in the middle of nowhere apparently protecting a few plastic posts with reflectors atop. Nice grassy patch at the end of the armco etc.

H
    Last edited by Huggie; 06-11-2013 at 04:41 PM.
    The noisy one in the corner.