X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• davemx-5
    replied
    Originally posted by Conorw89 View Post

I suppose you have the same opinion on tax evasion in general? I think that's a load of nonsense.
    Thats a bit of a sweeping assumption to make from one comment.

Leave a comment:

• wrcs9
    replied

It's nice of you to follow me around the forum trying to highlight my shortcomings, I'm not sure I ever said it was ok, just that the Gardai would surely have better things to do than apprehend college students working as part time fast food drivers. I certainly wasn't even aware that you need a specific type of insurance for that(12 years ago as a 19/20 year old), I certainly wasn't informed of it by my employer at the time. Well done though, you've really caught me out!

Equating tax evasion to unknowingly having the wrong type of insurance is a nice bit of whataboutery.
    Not sure why you would think i am following you around, there are only a handful of users on here, you replied to my comment in the other thread in what I thought was an odd way of passively making little of my advice to another poster on having correct insurance, when I read your argument with the other posters above it reminded me of your last contribution

Leave a comment:

• Conorw89
    replied
    Originally posted by wrcs9 View Post

Are you not contradicting yourself against your previous comments that having standard insurance when delivering pizzas is okay?
    It's nice of you to follow me around the forum trying to highlight my shortcomings, I'm not sure I ever said it was ok, just that the Gardai would surely have better things to do than apprehend college students working as part time fast food drivers. I certainly wasn't even aware that you need a specific type of insurance for that(12 years ago as a 19/20 year old), I certainly wasn't informed of it by my employer at the time. Well done though, you've really caught me out!

Equating tax evasion to unknowingly having the wrong type of insurance is a nice bit of whataboutery.

Leave a comment:

• wrcs9
    replied

I dunno, seems like a nice gotcha for an insurance company to claim you shouldn't have been driving the car. I don't get why people do all this anyway, don't buy a car you're not willing to tax. I don't particularly want to give half my salary to the government either, rules are rules.

Are you not contradicting yourself against your previous comments that having standard insurance when delivering pizzas is okay?

Leave a comment:

• Conorw89
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveM-Sport View Post
    If you can get away with it, it's a victimless crime .
    I suppose you have the same opinion on tax evasion in general? I think that's a load of nonsense.

Leave a comment:

• DaveM-Sport
    replied

I dunno, seems like a nice gotcha for an insurance company to claim you shouldn't have been driving the car. I don't get why people do all this anyway, don't buy a car you're not willing to tax. I don't particularly want to give half my salary to the government either, rules are rules.
    That's fine if your happy to live in a country that punishes you for having nice things.

If you can get away with it, it's a victimless crime
    ​​​​​
    driving the car with no nct will have you on your own in a claim alright but no tax or declared off the road is an issue with revenue, not the insurance once you've a policy that covers you. They might argue it but any solicitor worth his salt will prove them wrong if they're being stubborn.

Leave a comment:

• Conorw89
    replied
    Originally posted by kdevitt View Post

No, why would it be? It would be null and void if I changed my insurance to a laid up policy.
    I dunno, seems like a nice gotcha for an insurance company to claim you shouldn't have been driving the car. I don't get why people do all this :D:D:D:D anyway, don't buy a car you're not willing to tax. I don't particularly want to give half my salary to the government either, rules are rules.

Leave a comment:

• kdevitt
    replied

Would your insurance not be null and void driving around in a car declared off the road?
    No, why would it be? It would be null and void if I changed my insurance to a laid up policy.

Leave a comment:

• Conorw89
    replied

Never caused me an ounce of hassle - in fact - the approach was suggested by a Garda who was collecting parts from me. If it was the first two months out of tax, they never really gave a shite anyway - the third month was a bit more risky I suppose, but I wasn't commuting in the thing anyway, so I didn't do that much mileage.

I can't be bothered with it now though, won't buy anything thats over €750 p/a now.
    Would your insurance not be null and void driving around in a car declared off the road?

Leave a comment:

• Cold
    replied
    I think it would work too. "Took it out today and just taxed it blah blah blah" with the best responsible family father look.

Leave a comment:

• philb
    replied
    Originally posted by Rathbran View Post

€60 fine for not displaying a current motor tax disc, so even if you tax it in the que they’ll do you
    honestly think that parking wardens ( including 3rd party like apcoa ) care more about the disc than a guard. reckon it would work. worst case saves having to product the tax.

Leave a comment:

• TuneR
    replied
    Tax for the year for one bike is €67, the other is €88. Could be a reason my sporty cars (2l/3l) haven't seen the outside of the shed in years.

Leave a comment:

• Rathbran
    replied
    Originally posted by Cold View Post
    In theory if you come to a checkpoint and there are a few cars ahead, you can tax the car before you get there. Or just pull over and tax it. Then show the motortax receipt.
    €60 fine for not displaying a current motor tax disc, so even if you tax it in the que they’ll do you

Leave a comment:

• kdevitt
    replied
    Originally posted by LukeyLuke View Post

If you were driving it simply out of tax and then changing ownership I'd agree with the approach but if you're caught driving it while it's officially taxed off the road that'll cause an awful lot more bother than being out of tax?
    Never caused me an ounce of hassle - in fact - the approach was suggested by a Garda who was collecting parts from me. If it was the first two months out of tax, they never really gave a shite anyway - the third month was a bit more risky I suppose, but I wasn't commuting in the thing anyway, so I didn't do that much mileage.

I can't be bothered with it now though, won't buy anything thats over €750 p/a now.

Leave a comment:

• LukeyLuke
    replied

3 months tax, 3 months declared off the road. Figured if I got stopped I'd just tell them I'd only just put it back on the road. Never once got asked the question in the M3, nor Porsche.
    If you were driving it simply out of tax and then changing ownership I'd agree with the approach but if you're caught driving it while it's officially taxed off the road that'll cause an awful lot more bother than being out of tax?

Leave a comment:

Bottom of thread

Collapse
Working...
X