No announcement yet.

M3 driver nabbed for no motor tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It all adds to the case of putting the tax on the fuel. Then tax is based on use and not on ownership, there is no need to have checkpoints for tax so maybe the Gardai might be able to go concentrate on crimes and the like , and also the civil service could lay off a load of admin staff from the motor tax offices , saving another great wad. ( And the type of person who works in those offices really is a special type)

Comment

Originally posted by Gn3dr View Post
      It all adds to the case of putting the tax on the fuel. Then tax is based on use and not on ownership, there is no need to have checkpoints for tax so maybe the Gardai might be able to go concentrate on crimes and the like , and also the civil service could lay off a load of admin staff from the motor tax offices , saving another great wad. ( And the type of person who works in those offices really is a special type)
      We're already being taxed like 55% on the price of fuel is that not enough?

Comment

I just don’t get or understand the obsession with motor tax in Ireland.

Yes it’s expensive, but it’s also transparent, nobody forces you to pay it if you don’t want to. At least it’s not like insurance where they pick a figure from thin air - it’s very clear what the tax rate is.

Dont get me started on those with the crew cabs where most of them aren’t even insured correctly.

If you want to drop €20/€30/€40k on an older car then be prepared to pay for it in the tax.

As one poster said - pay it once and be done with it.

In the overall costs of running a car if you have low depreciation/maintenance etc then tax is only a small part.

Comment

Originally posted by S50-touring View Post

We're already being taxed like 55% on the price of fuel is that not enough?
          I'm not arguing for more tax and I agree we live in a stupid country wrt tax and the value we get from it. But if there has to be tax, make it logical and fair.

Comment

Originally posted by kdevitt View Post

Because you can get away with it? Two months out of date and they'll generally do nothing - three months off and three months on is perfectly doable, especially with the SORD system being online- its even easier than getting 'da form' stamped.

I'm generally law abiding, and pay a lot of tax - but don't like being ass raped for owning a large engine car (owning - not using - I take the train to work!) Never felt an minutes guilt about applying my own discount - it still worked out at over a grand a year.
            What do you mean about 3 months on and 3 months off though? As in, not taxing it for 3 months and then changing owners or actually declaring it off the road?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Current: '06 Silver Grey E60 530d
            Previous: '03 Silver Grey E46 M3, '02 Imola Red E46 325Ci, '98 Cosmos Schwartz E36 318iS

Comment

Originally posted by 318 iS cosmos View Post

What do you mean about 3 months on and 3 months off though? As in, not taxing it for 3 months and then changing owners or actually declaring it off the road?
              3 months tax, 3 months declared off the road. Figured if I got stopped I'd just tell them I'd only just put it back on the road. Never once got asked the question in the M3, nor Porsche.

Comment

In theory if you come to a checkpoint and there are a few cars ahead, you can tax the car before you get there. Or just pull over and tax it. Then show the motortax receipt.

Comment

Originally posted by Cold View Post
                  In theory if you come to a checkpoint and there are a few cars ahead, you can tax the car before you get there. Or just pull over and tax it. Then show the motortax receipt.
                  ha! This is true. Just make sure you have your solicitor on handsfree at the same time.

Comment

3 months tax, 3 months declared off the road. Figured if I got stopped I'd just tell them I'd only just put it back on the road. Never once got asked the question in the M3, nor Porsche.
                    If you were driving it simply out of tax and then changing ownership I'd agree with the approach but if you're caught driving it while it's officially taxed off the road that'll cause an awful lot more bother than being out of tax?

Comment

Originally posted by LukeyLuke View Post

If you were driving it simply out of tax and then changing ownership I'd agree with the approach but if you're caught driving it while it's officially taxed off the road that'll cause an awful lot more bother than being out of tax?
                      Never caused me an ounce of hassle - in fact - the approach was suggested by a Garda who was collecting parts from me. If it was the first two months out of tax, they never really gave a shite anyway - the third month was a bit more risky I suppose, but I wasn't commuting in the thing anyway, so I didn't do that much mileage.

I can't be bothered with it now though, won't buy anything thats over €750 p/a now.

Comment

Originally posted by Cold View Post
                        €60 fine for not displaying a current motor tax disc, so even if you tax it in the que they’ll do you

Comment

Tax for the year for one bike is €67, the other is €88. Could be a reason my sporty cars (2l/3l) haven't seen the outside of the shed in years.

Comment

Originally posted by Rathbran View Post

€60 fine for not displaying a current motor tax disc, so even if you tax it in the que they’ll do you
                            honestly think that parking wardens ( including 3rd party like apcoa ) care more about the disc than a guard. reckon it would work. worst case saves having to product the tax.

Comment

I think it would work too. "Took it out today and just taxed it blah blah blah" with the best responsible family father look.

Comment

Never caused me an ounce of hassle - in fact - the approach was suggested by a Garda who was collecting parts from me. If it was the first two months out of tax, they never really gave a shite anyway - the third month was a bit more risky I suppose, but I wasn't commuting in the thing anyway, so I didn't do that much mileage.

I can't be bothered with it now though, won't buy anything thats over €750 p/a now.
                                Would your insurance not be null and void driving around in a car declared off the road?

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X