Header

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I prove that I've never been arrested?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I prove that I've never been arrested?

Afternoon gents,

Here's an interesting one for ye: how can I prove that I've never been arrested?

My local bishop requires a certificate of some description to confirm that I've never been arrested and that I have no criminal record.

I've been vetted umpteen times but the structure of that process makes no difference as the vetee(?) gets no actual confirmation of anything.

There is the police cert route, but they're only issued in specific circumstances which I don't meet:

1. Foreign Consular Authorities / Foreign Visas [e.g. applications, naturalisation and / or other immigration matters]
    2. Establishing or registering a Business in another EU Member State
    3. Employment in the EU Institutions
    4. Development / Humanitarian / Aid Workers deployed Overseas on behalf of a Registered Non-Governmental Organisation with supporting documentation issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs and / or any other Statutory Agency related to the activity concerned.
    5. Irish Citizens participating and / or engaging in an accredited academic programme on a full time basis for a minimum period of one academic year with a recognised Third Level Educational Institution (in the Host State) outside of this jurisdiction.
    I've never in my life come to the attention of the Guards, but I have to jump through hoops in order to prove it.

What can I do!?

Thanks
    There's no light, There's only fire!

Maybe a police certificate would work?
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...rtificate.html
    EDIT "Just re read your post sorry you are already aware of this!"

Comment

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...rtificate.html

However, if you are living abroad and require a Police Certificate from Ireland for something like a job, you could get in touch with the local police in the country where you now live. Explain to them what you require and they may get in touch on your behalf with your nearest police station here in Ireland and request this information.

Comment

I've had to do it a number of times for resident visas, and also last year for another EU country.

Just mark it as required by the Consular Authorities in Italy, or the name of your diocese etc
        They'll phone you if they want further clarification.

The form is at the same link where I'm guessing you copied those criteria from;
        https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/onl...tificates.html

I've not lived in Ireland for ten years, but still every few years I've had the need to prove I've no criminal record in my home country.

Comment

they may get in touch....I won't hold my breath

Comment

Originally posted by deltona View Post
            I've had to do it a number of times for resident visas, and also last year for another EU country.

Just mark it as required by the Consular Authorities in Italy, or the name of your diocese etc
            They'll phone you if they want further clarification.

The form is at the same link where I'm guessing you copied those criteria from;
            https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/onl...tificates.html

I've not lived in Ireland for ten years, but still every few years I've had the need to prove I've no criminal record in my home country.
            thank you sir!

How do I get the form and all the other required info to them though, just get a family member to print and drop them in?
            Last edited by Kaiser; 30-04-2022, 05:22 PM.

Comment

The Garda vetting process is the only recognised and approved system for the purposes you require. I am sure the bishop is aware of this and the process in general so perhaps you just need another garda vetting. You seem to be confusing Garda vetting with a police certificate of character - two separate things and the latter does not apply in your circumstances as far as I can see. The bishop is not entitled to ask for more than what is stated on a garda vetting report form.

Comment

I would be careful with how you proceed here as I am sure that as a Trabant owner you are on some sort of FBI or Interpol watchlist.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfaguy View Post
                  The Garda vetting process is the only recognised and approved system for the purposes you require. I am sure the bishop is aware of this and the process in general so perhaps you just need another garda vetting. You seem to be confusing Garda vetting with a police certificate of character - two separate things and the latter does not apply in your circumstances as far as I can see. The bishop is not entitled to ask for more than what is stated on a garda vetting report form.
                  This is an Italian bishop in an Italian diocese; they're not aware of the Irish protocol at all. They just require something official to say that I've never come to police attention in the past in my home country and that I don't have a criminal record.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser View Post

thank you sir!

How do I get the form and all the other required info to them though, just get a family member to print and drop them in?
                    What I did was complete the PDF copy of the form on my laptop, added my signature, and then had family print a high quality copy at home and stick it in the post for me.

Comment

Just to add;

Keep it simple - for the SSAE you have to enclose with the form address it to your Irish homeplace. Family can then send it to you when they receive it.
                      If you have an Irish mobile number use that on the form - it's absolutely shocking the amount of people in Irish offices who can't dial international phone numbers from a desk phone. Speaking from much experience...

Comment

Originally posted by deltona View Post
                        Just to add;

Keep it simple - for the SSAE you have to enclose with the form address it to your Irish homeplace. Family can then send it to you when they receive it.
                        If you have an Irish mobile number use that on the form - it's absolutely shocking the amount of people in Irish offices who can't dial international phone numbers from a desk phone. Speaking from much experience...
                        Thanks very much for your help.

As it happens I have to go to the irish embassy next week for something else; I might ask while I'm there if they can do anything. If not I'll get started with the form for the police cert.

Comment

I don't know if this helps, but for a previous role I had to prove the same thing.
                          While there was no official way apparently, I simply visited a Garda station, explained that I am to work in IT security and armed with the letters of requests (so they could see I was not making stuff up) etc. and the a few days later, I had a letter from an officer the guards stating exactly what I had requested.
                          "This is a non-contact sport but then so is ice hockey" - Roberto Giordanelli on Irish FIAT Punto racing but applies to all Irish racing..
                          "Tailgaters have small dicks" - Me

Comment

Yep, that's exactly what the Garda form introduced last year (linked to above) requests. Up until that you had to visit a station or submit your own request letter to the station. Usually the district HQ where the Super is stationed.

Comment

Go out on the tear with the bishop and get arrested, if he lets you off on first offence that proves you’ve never been arrested

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X