Invasion of Ukraine by Russia and War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikerd4 View Post
    I knew the Russian gdp wasn't that great but I didn't realize Italy had a bigger gdp. I'd say much of Russia's wealth has been stripped by corruption and dodgy oligarchs. I think Obama described it as Europe's gas station. That said a Russian senator was being interviewed and he said none of that matters, the Chinese can match the US economically but we have more nukes than the americans so they cannot do anything.
    Russia, China, Iran, Turkey and perhaps North Korea as an outlier are a relatively formidable gang of school yard bullies, even for the Yanks
    2005 Alfa 166 2.0TS Grigio Geo - Daily Driver
    2001 Alfa 166 3.0 Proteo Rosso - The Beast - resting for now
    2000 Alfa 166 2.5 V6 Auto Verde Argo - the Baby
    1999 Alfa 166 2.5 V6 Grigio Nettuno - Track Car
    1984 Alfasud 1.5 Gold Cloverleaf Florentine Copper - the other Baby

Comment

We had to bring in 7,000 extra officers to supervise the re-deployment of our troops back to their bases

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Comment

Things not looking good.

Comment

Is it time to buy a big tank and fill it with petrol....

The Russians must think other countries don't have satellites looking down on what they are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Titan View Post
            Is it time to buy a big tank and fill it with petrol....

The Russians must think other countries don't have satellites looking down on what they are doing.
            I'd say the opposite, this is all for the benefit of the eye in the sky

Comment

Originally posted by JohnBoy View Post

I'd say the opposite, this is all for the benefit of the eye in the sky
              Yeah, you are probably right on that one.

Comment

Sean patrick Maloney is full of Sh 1 T

Comment

Well that was a pretty immense explosion;

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status...r00Qgo_OO5LGsQ

Not sure if it's a gas pipeline or oil. Reports are saying gas.

Comment

Is the situation starting to really be stepped up now by the Russians?

Comment

Yes the Russian backed separatists in the east have started to bait Ukranian forces to react by shelling their positions.

Comment

Originally posted by Titan View Post
                        Is the situation starting to really be stepped up now by the Russians?
                        Dunno. The wick definitely seems to be smoldering more. Civilians are leaving Donetsk and Luhansk on buses and any other means of transport and entering Russia. Meanwhile EU countries bordering Ukraine have tightened entry controls so as it's much more difficult to leave UA and enter the EU, even if you have work permits, visas, residency etc
                        I'm no expert, but I'd expect it to continue for at least another 3 weeks, until operation Sabre Strike '22 has been completed. That's the NATO training exercises which have been planned for the last few years and are still going ahead as scheduled from circa March 1st to March 14th across areas of the Baltic states, and also Poland, Czechia, Slovakia, and Romania.
                        ​​​​​​​Of course anything could happen in the interim. It all seems a bit crazy.

Comment

The media or Western governments can analyse the strategic motivations of Russia and may come to a view that there is a form of 'mutual understandings' that might be reached that will dilute current tensions. Or at least take that line in public. The current scenario can also be looked in terms of Putin being of a particular mindset and being determined, no matter what, to conquer Ukraine regardless of the cost in terms of lives, to reinforce his own power and to punish Ukraine and its people for having the nerve to want to exist as a nation. In the old days they had a word for this....evil.

Comment

I attribute a major cause of this to be the result of Trump and all this Brexit sh1t and the chaotic consequences of both which has emboldened and enabled Putin to go back to Russia's old ways. Of course I am sure he played a significant part in engineering both situations precisely for this purpose. So now it all makes sense from Russia's perspective. I am far from confident "the west" will have the resolve or even the ability to do much about it so then the Baltics, Poland, Finland even Sweden are at risk. I am sure the pitiful idea of sanctions will not include a boycott of Russian oil and gas which means its business as usual for Russia.

Comment

If they do invade, and I have no idea why they would, they will be stuck there forever. As we know, it’s not that hard to invade a country but it’s very hard to control it. There’s like 40m people in Ukraine, they will fight an insurgency if it gets to that. It’s next door to Russia, they look much the same so easy to infiltrate, so there will be bombs in Moscow every week. This playbook is very well established (as I think we know). The west will be delighted to provide all the help possible to sustain the insurgency. If this is the sort of sh1t Russia wants on its borders, good luck with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfaguy View Post
                                I attribute a major cause of this to be the result of Trump and all this Brexit sh1t and the chaotic consequences of both which has emboldened and enabled Putin to go back to Russia's old ways. Of course I am sure he played a significant part in engineering both situations precisely for this purpose. So now it all makes sense from Russia's perspective. I am far from confident "the west" will have the resolve or even the ability to do much about it so then the Baltics, Poland, Finland even Sweden are at risk. I am sure the pitiful idea of sanctions will not include a boycott of Russian oil and gas which means its business as usual for Russia.
                                The Baltic countries are NATO members, as is Poland. So that's a very different situation. An attack on a NATO member state would be handled very differently.
                                Sweden is armed to the teeth, and if part of Ukraine was taken it's possible perhaps an outcome might be Finland and Sweden becoming part of NATO.
                                Differing opinions and approaches have of course been exposed across NATO in recent months, showing the splinters and weaknesses.

What recent months have done is place doubt and conjecture in the minds of Ukrainian people who are/were EU and NATO leaning. A big menacing bear has the house surrounded, NATO has confirmed it's not going to do anything itself, as has the US (bar supply hardware to UA forces), and the EU are now making it more difficult to travel from UA into the EU even if you live and work in the EU and just crossed the border and back to see family. Meanwhile in the east buses are evacuating people from hotspots into safe areas of Russia. If you're stuck in the middle NATO has just blown hot air and won't do anything, and the EU are holding the entrance door more tightly closed so as if you leave they might not let you back in. It creates doubt in people's minds and undermines the EU and NATO for those stuck in the middle of it all.
                                Again it's about putting yourself in the shoes of many different people and trying to imagine how their psyche might perceive events and actions.

Sanctions are ineffectual, the EU and the the US are the old economic powerhouses, the rising power is in Asia, with developing African countries playing a part as both consumers and the workforce. See the re-denomination of the Ruble in the late 90s for how any new currency alignment could be played out. And then imagine swathes of Asia, Africa, and South America switching away from the USD to another currency for energy trading. It's happened as a 'test' previously.

I posted somewhere on here back in 2014 after Crimea that this situation would go on for circa 15 years, we're only 8-9 years into it currently.
                                All that has to be achieved in the eyes of Russians who don't want NATO any closer is to maintain unrest and division/conflict within the territory of UA. Gives them more time to play the long game.
                                ​​​​​​​Watch Zelensky's speech on how global security has ultimately failed.

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X