Invasion of Ukraine by Russia and War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hi-rev View Post

They were not buffer states, they were under the full control of USSR. With nuke carrying USSR troops in all countries
    Indeed. But they were the buffer. To take out Warsaw Pact bases Warsaw Pact countries would be bombed. But not member states within the USSR of the time. Those states had extra time to react.

Comment

React to what?
      Its not as if they were non-aligned, they were part of the Warsaw Pact.
      The only difference the front line was further away from Moscow than it is now.
      "This is a non-contact sport but then so is ice hockey" - Roberto Giordanelli on Irish FIAT Punto racing but applies to all Irish racing..
      "Tailgaters have small dicks" - Me

Comment

The "only" difference... ok. That might even be the purpose of a buffer zone, who knows.

Comment

My old boss was an ex raf guy. His squadrons mission if the cold war became hot was to fly down across eastern Europe dropping nuclear bombs and creating a nuclear wasteland buffer zone to stop the soviets rolling across Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by mikerd4 View Post
            My old boss was an ex raf guy. His squadrons mission if the cold war became hot was to fly down across eastern Europe dropping nuclear bombs and creating a nuclear wasteland buffer zone to stop the soviets rolling across Europe.
            Jesus...I can only imagine the interview process for that particular job posting.

"So have you any experience of dropping a few A-bombs...."

Comment

Originally posted by hi-rev View Post
              React to what?
              Its not as if they were non-aligned, they were part of the Warsaw Pact.
              The only difference the front line was further away from Moscow than it is now.
              That's political and military strategic planning for you.
              You've provided your own answer.

Comment

If Russia should invade Ukraine, and "just" face sanctions I would be curious as to what China will do with Taiwan in the coming months.

Comment

Interesting article here:

https://flip.it/j21f18 An Essay On Russia’s Invasion Of Ukraine (Part III): Why Is Diplomacy Failing? – Analysis

In a nutshell, this analyst thinks that it’s regime change or partition via the Red Army.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  sigpichttps://mingshitters.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by deltona View Post

That's political and military strategic planning for you.
                    You've provided your own answer.
                    I was replying to you, but well done Lavrov
                    "This is a non-contact sport but then so is ice hockey" - Roberto Giordanelli on Irish FIAT Punto racing but applies to all Irish racing..

Comment

DFA has advised Irish citizens to leave Ukraine, Germany has advised its citizens to do the same already.
                      https://www.instagram.com/diecast_1_64/

Comment

I wonder where this suggestion of invasion on Wednesday the 16th has come from. Some critical level of force amassed or just guess work?
                        I'm not sure which outlet it came from but it certainly doesn't descalate the situation.

Perhaps it's just a coincidence that on the 16th of February 1943 the soviets recaptured Kharkiv from the Nazi's. Who knows.

One thing's for sure, Russians don't take a dump, son, without a plan.

Comment

Don't know. But Zelensky spoke publicly today in the media.
                          While Ukraine remains on alert he said they have no intelligence to point towards those dates, and asked if other countries had evidence or intelligence pointing in that direction to please share it with Ukraine.
                          Instead other countries are releasing these dates to the media.

I've nothing to base it on, but my gut says a lot of contemplation and consideration must be going on right now amongst the Ukraine leadership as a vice seems to be squeezing in around most of their border areas.
                          Will it lead to stall tactics, appeasement, the messy situation in the east being prolonged, or something else entirely is anybody's guess.

Comment

There is quite a bit of conflicting "analysis" from the armchair "analysts" at present.
                            Either the Americans know something specific about an attack (quite likely, their intelligence of Russia has picked up since 2014) (and either and Ukraine knows something else or they are trying to prevent mass panic until the last minute, which is why they are saying they have no info about an attack)
                            OR the Americans are preventing a covert op strike by stating clearly to the Russians they know about it, and therefore it is doomed to fail as the plan is now known.
                            OR the Americans are simply calling Putins bluff, of "either you strike now, or we dont believe you ever will" (sounds a bit far fetched..)

Its all a bit insane at this point.

Comment

Here is some insight into the sometimes confusing info coming from the American sources of late:
                              https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/12/u...tin-biden.html

Comment

Some civilian airline traffic being routed away from Ukrainian airspace now, partly due to the operators and partly because of the aircraft owners (leasers) refusing for their aircraft to be operated in a high risk area.

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X