No announcement yet.

Invasion of Ukraine by Russia and War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wonder if it's "we :D:D:D:Ded up" or "they [the army] :D:D:D:Ded up", though.

I don't see much mention of it around here but if NATO expands to Sweden and Finland, the Baltic Sea is now NATO which means that Kaliningrad/Königsberg is in a bad spot if NATO decides to cut it off. NATO could decide just like Turkey did with the Black Sea to make it impassable for minimally surface war ships even if I'd say the Swedish navy would love to get a go at some subs if given the opportunity. I'm sure there are plenty of sonars in place in the right places. It's a very big deal for Russia in terms of (a) Kaliningrad (b) hassle countries around the Baltic and the various islands like they like to do.

Comment

• I think the outrage of the Russian families who have lost their family members is really only
      starting to filter out now.
      This can only turn into a flood of bad news for Putin at home.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...russians-faith

Plus some of the losses they suffered are pretty staggering reading through this article.

Comment

• The EU and the G7 are working on proposals to seize and use Russia's frozen reserves
        to help rebuild Ukraine.

A Kremlin spokesman said noone told them about it and it would be outright theft.

Tough Sh!t is what I would say to that one....

Comment

• Well it's probably better founded in law than the Russian army swiping washing machines, airpods and tractors.
          sigpichttps://mingshitters.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Titan View Post
            The EU and the G7 are working on proposals to seize and use Russia's frozen reserves
            to help rebuild Ukraine.

A Kremlin spokesman said noone told them about it and it would be outright theft.

Tough Sh!t is what I would say to that one....
            Delighted. Finally sanctions that don't just freeze, but seize.

Of course its completely different to Russias theft of 100+ aircraft....

Comment

• Could Putin try to sell the surrender of the defenders of the Azovstal steel plant as a win and leave the area? Finally flushed the Nazi's out etc?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ming View Post
                Well it's probably better founded in law than the Russian army swiping washing machines, airpods and tractors.
                And tons of tons of grain....

Comment

• Originally posted by Ming View Post
                  Brace for impact: In Russia, permission has been granted to make cars without airbags, ABS and ESP after all foreign manufacturers quit the market

https://twitter.com/jason_corcoran/s...w-mSmAbCZ9ZKCg

Would you take an internal flight in Russia?
                  That news is 5 weeks old at this stage.
                  You gotta hope they can still get dash cams though, right?!

Originally posted by deltona View Post
                  In lighter motoring related news Lada can't obtain electronic components from Europe or Taiwan so are now moving to produce vehicles with reduced emissions controls, no airbags, and no driver safety aids such as ABS etc
                  Are you sure you're not getting your news from the same era the Russian generals are getting their tactics? 😜

I wouldn't fly with any Russian maintained aircraft currently. If things aren't hairy enough from a maintenance viewpoint right now, it won't be long before they are...

Comment

• Originally posted by deltona View Post

Are you sure you're not getting your news from the same era the Russian generals are getting their tactics? 😜

Sorry Deltona I'm in awe at your news gathering skills

You should try Twitter you know

In other news (not sourced in 2019 by Deltona), this is the Russians' riposte to Bayraktar drones etc. (sorry saw it on Sunday first):

https://www.19fortyfive.com/2022/05/...es-in-ukraine/

Comment

• Jesus, losing $5 Billion worth of military equipment in about three months
                      is pretty bad.

At least the makeshift drones wont cost too much to replace, a few bottle caps here and a
                      bit of sticky tape there should sort them out for a while.

Comment

• Actually, that is very conservative, as it only accounts for actual loss.
                        However, the overall costs of the campaign, apparently now stands at more than 20 billion USD, and Russia's defence budget is 70 billion.
                        So, it will take at least a decade to recover all of this.
                        And then you have to add all the manpower losses, and the experience etc. that is lost with it, and it will soon be that Russia will not be able to wage any war for the next decade.
                        "This is a non-contact sport but then so is ice hockey" - Roberto Giordanelli on Irish FIAT Punto racing but applies to all Irish racing..
                        "Tailgaters have small dicks" - Me

Comment

• Originally posted by hi-rev View Post
                          Actually, that is very conservative, as it only accounts for actual loss.
                          However, the overall costs of the campaign, apparently now stands at more than 20 billion USD, and Russia's defence budget is 70 billion.
                          So, it will take at least a decade to recover all of this.
                          And then you have to add all the manpower losses, and the experience etc. that is lost with it, and it will soon be that Russia will not be able to wage any war for the next decade.
                          You always have to look at the positives I guess.

Comment

• Losing their commodities customers and completely and utterly damaging their reputation is probably not ideal either.

But all of this pales into nothing in comparison to the damage and suffering inflicted on Ukraine.

Comment

• True that.

On the other side (pardon the pun) it seems that Ukranian forces had no problems crossing the river at which Russians got massacred; twice.
                              []
                              "This is a non-contact sport but then so is ice hockey" - Roberto Giordanelli on Irish FIAT Punto racing but applies to all Irish racing..
                              "Tailgaters have small dicks" - Me

Comment

• As explained above, it isn't just that Russia is in trouble, because even if they mobilise they don't have any decent kit to give a bigger army (they probably have a load of mothballed T65s and T34s etc.), Ukraine, which is fighting for its existence, said no males of fighting age could leave and has easily mobilised a million conscripts who want to go and fight anyway and who will have lots of state of the art stuff from the west.

This is not going to end well for anyone but particularly Russia. If they feel they are going to lose Sevastopol they will probably escalate in some awful way. There is nowhere else for the still quite big Black Sea fleet to go.

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X