No announcement yet.

Invasion of Ukraine by Russia and War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I didn't get a chance yet as I'm away at the moment with family. Will check it out on the boat home.
    Im fascinated by history and have seen, read, heard a lot of around that era. Chamberlain was seen as weak and appeasing of the Nazis but the uk was in no shape to fight a war against the Nazis at that time. It's arguable that his approach stalled and bought time for the UK to ready itself.

Comment

• Either way, it's going to have a knock on effect to the cost of gas and oil to us, the consumer.
      I believe that Russia are now contemplating sending troops into the entire breakaway regions.

UK sanctions have begun...

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/stat...TCdXcttyg&s=19
      Last edited by GeeTI; 22-02-2022, 01:55 PM.

Comment

• Seem's Putin is in trouble now!!!

http://irelandoncraic.com/irish-trav...allenges-putin

Comment

• Well that will be one guest guaranteed to appear on the Late Late this Friday.

If Putin ever watched Snatch he'll know never to mess with travellers 😉

Comment

•  

Comment

• Instead of WW3 can we start calling it An Emergency Nua?
              1998 Porsche 911 3.4 Carrera 2 (996)
              2000 Mazda MX-5 1.8 Jasper Conran #68/400
              2003 BMW 325i E46 Sport Touring

Comment

• I think he's gone as far as he needs for now i.e. the republics of Donetsk and Luhansk. I wouldn't expect much more. Buys time for more destabilizing of Ukraine and it's authorities/officialdom, and the erosion and weakening that will cause. And increases instability and doubt further westward too.
                The next 10-14 days will tell all, but I'd guess that's possibly it for now. Ukraine destabilized, and continued the splintering of UA territory and conflict within its borders which will keep it out of NATO.
                Give it another number of years and let's see if any seeds of disruption start sprouting towards the area of Mariupol.

Comment

• I’m pretty sure Putin outlined his intentions the other day. Ukraine is Russian because it was once Russian and will therefore become Russian again. He may well continue to take small steps that are hard to define but I think most countries have a pretty clear idea about the right of countries to exist as they are now regardless of their history. In any event, he’s creating a lot of hassle and misery for Ukraine and Russia in the process so good luck with that.

I guess it’s pretty clear Russia can’t be trusted so time to think of a plan b. You’d imagine nuclear power could become a lot more popular in Europe. Ireland should probably look at its gas fired electricity strategy too which is now beginning to look slightly daft.

Comment

• Indeed. It's old now, but this map from fpri.org still seems applicable when it comes to UA;

Comment

• That is very nice Poo tin propaganda, that is.
                      The Pro-russian protests and occupation of the local gov. headquarters was organised by Putin and a few extremist/confused people.
                      The quantity of which is not highlighted on your map.

There is a lad in Kilkenny (?) trying to start a party for the re-joning of Ireland into the UK, are you going to draw a map which highlights "strong desire to re-join UK" on it, featuring Kilkenny in a contrasting color?

Here is a map showing the percentage of the population that voted to join Ukraine as independent nation in 1991:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_U...nce_referendum
                      "This is a non-contact sport but then so is ice hockey" - Roberto Giordanelli on Irish FIAT Punto racing but applies to all Irish racing..
                      "Tailgaters have small dicks" - Me

Comment

• Come back for another bite every few years, not enough to start a war over, but enough to be the big man at home

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnBoy View Post
                          Come back for another bite every few years, not enough to start a war over, but enough to be the big man at home
                          That's pretty much it. But he doesn't have support across the broad population for this type of action. But there's little they can do given the current situation in the country, unfortunately. The big man at home thing is for those who already have power and influence there, and are likely deranged themselves.

Comment

• Like somebody said, when you're no longer able to feed the people then it's time to turn to theatre and nationalism. Kinda what's happening in the US as well of course.

Comment

• Originally posted by hi-rev View Post
                              That is very nice Poo tin propaganda, that is.
                              The Pro-russian protests and occupation of the local gov. headquarters was organised by Putin and a few extremist/confused people.
                              The quantity of which is not highlighted on your map.
                              I know you to be an incredibly intelligent fella, with impressive insight and knowledge, but you seem to deliberately misconstrue everything I post.
                              That map is applicable as it's like a road map for Putin's mind in UA.
                              It's obviously not applicable to current govt in Kiev, so it's hard to see why you're missing the context, but how and ever...

For those with time for some reading over a coffee it's worth reading back over the fpri piece below, from 7 years ago;
                              https://www.fpri.org/article/2015/03...nd-the-donbas/

Originally posted by hi-rev View Post
                              There is a lad in Kilkenny (?) trying to start a party for the re-joning of Ireland into the UK, are you going to draw a map which highlights "strong desire to re-join UK" on it, featuring Kilkenny in a contrasting color
                              Not at all - we've got Renn to do that... 😜
                              But if somebody wanted to try and understand the thought processes of such individuals then yes it's obviously useful to look at any material they produce so as to examine and discuss it. There's zero chance of understanding their motives or thinking otherwise, is there?

Comment

• I've only seen a bit of Putins speech from the other day but from what I've heard it might be one of the rare occasions that his mask slipped and he let loose what he really thought and what he plans to do.

Usually he comes across reasonably calm and in control but he seemed like he was barely containing his anger about wanting to control Ukraine again.

I'm sure even the most learned scholars in psychology are having a hard time trying to figure him out.

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X