Header

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sligo & Donegal next week in a camper….?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sligo & Donegal next week in a camper….?

So we’re planning to head to that wild Ireland place in Donegal with the bears & wolves etc, possibly taking in the birds of prey place, if open in Sligo but wide open to other suggestions en route, over 3 days & nights from Connemara.
    Was looking at hotels with pools given 2 kids under 10 but none available on our dates
    i know I’ll love it whatever as will the 2 ankle biters but how close am I likely to come to divorce, considering I’m permanently in da fcukin dog house already?

it’s one of these,

https://www.wildatlanticcamperhire.i...tails.php?ID=8

so plenty spacious in theory, can they be toasty warm on the waw in November?

Itll be chape enough so no issue splashing out for cool experiences along the way as we haven’t been away in 2 years, I know , I know is this really the best idea I could muster
    At least we’re booked into the big dome in Longford in January is this goes Pete tong!

Anyone know of pools, Aqua domes etc open to the public up that way?

Do you think the seats swivel

Just out closing on the hens a while back and ‘it’s pretty fcukin wild and cauld, maybe a nice self catering gaff with pool on site or nearby if anyone knows somewhere?

Comment

Donegal is a surprisingly big place, especially if touring with kids. But it’s a brilliant spot to visit and never disappoints.

While it’s not the prettiest town I’d suggest basing yourself near or around Letterkenny. It’s the gateway to most of northern Donegal and the centre of the road network up there and it has everything you need.

Personally I think Ramelton is a beautiful little village (with the most astonishing food truck called Johnny’s Ranch - not a joke), as is Rathmullan. An alternative is to stay on Inishowen which is beautiful and feels like it’s a county in itself.

We had a great 9 days in Donegal in the autumn a few years ago, started with two nights in Harvey’s Point, then a night in Ardara and then spent the remainder touring from Letterkenny as a base with the last night in Brian McDermott’s place in Moville. We only left the county once and that was to go into Derry for a day, which I’d also recommend. I really enjoyed both the Tower Museum and the Martin McCrossan walking tour.
      1998 Porsche 911 3.4 Carrera 2 (996)
      2000 Mazda MX-5 1.8 Jasper Conran #68/400
      2003 BMW 325i E46 Sport Touring

Comment

If the weather next week is anything like it is this week I’d say a self catering house would be much better than a camper!

Not a whole lot to add only that if you stop in enniscrone along your way send the family for a walk on the beach and we’ll grab a pint in Hopkins

Comment

We stayed here this summer https://www.donegalcottageholidays.com/thebarn

Nice spot and owners were very nice to deal with. Came with all you needed (linen, towels, tea, coffee, washing powder, dishwashing powder, toilet rolls, wifi, etc.) and even a nice apple tart on arrival. It has nice surrounds. The house had all you needed, two en-suites bedrooms and one other bedroom with washbasin. Also the bedrooms are downstairs with living area upstairs.

Downsides were it is located about 5 miles or so outside Letterkenny, so car is essential and no shops nearby but if have a car then is fine. Other slight nag is it is a bit blind coming out of the gate on to the road, but road is minor and quiet enough. Never really had any issues.

Comment

First time in a camper (?), it's December next week and the weather has turned wet and windy. Bit mad to consider it. The children will love it!
            That camper is big enough given the two are under 10. It'll be plenty warm with the heat running (make sure there’s gas in the bottle), though obviously have decent enough bedding if sleeping in it. Off season now so you'll need to check what campsites are open if you intend to stay on sites. Pick and book your overnight stop off spots in advance. Not much fun driving around trying to find a place, even though that eventually worked out for Mary and Joseph... Try to overnight park in a sheltered spot. It's windy; campers catch sidewinds. Might rock you to sleep or keep everyone awake all night.
            If looking at self-catering rental, try for near town. It gives the options of cook-in, takeaway, or into town and eat out. To help avoid divorce it might be good to have the option of not needing to rustle up dinner for 4 in a camper. Unless you do all the cooking.
            Weather is not great so bring plenty of spare clothes. From much experience, it can be hard on the nerves to be trying to dry damp clothes in a camper, with a wet dog underfoot, hungry children, condensation building up and sand everywhere, after that nice walk on the beach ended with an almighty shower of rain and a dash back to the 'van. It's all good though.
            No idea about pools and aqua domes. One of mine is allergic to water.

Comment

Did you say that you intend to stay married?
              I'm with the resistance

Comment

Originally posted by 8~) View Post
                The children will love it!

Cheers folks and yes of course its a bit mad ted but I keep coming back to the above.....as DMZ alluded to access to said children might be the problem after the mini break!

Comment

Originally posted by 8~) View Post
                  One of mine is allergic to water.
                  You have a Mogwai?!! How cool is that!
                  Best be very careful though...

Comment

Originally posted by DMZ View Post
                    Did you say that you intend to stay married?
                    hahaha. true. We stay in ours in october/november, and while the heaters are great and all, i dont like leaving them on all night. I dont mind the cold, but mrs42 hates it. If you dont mind the cold it will be good craic, buut as a first experience i would probably wait until the summer/warmer weather. They can be small spaces if you are in the dog house.

Comment

Originally posted by foyler View Post
                      So we’re planning to head to that wild Ireland place in Donegal with the bears & wolves etc, possibly taking in the birds of prey place, if open in Sligo but wide open to other suggestions en route, over 3 days & nights from Connemara.
                      Was looking at hotels with pools given 2 kids under 10 but none available on our dates
                      i know I’ll love it whatever as will the 2 ankle biters but how close am I likely to come to divorce, considering I’m permanently in da fcukin dog house already?

it’s one of these,

https://www.wildatlanticcamperhire.i...tails.php?ID=8

so plenty spacious in theory, can they be toasty warm on the waw in November?

Itll be chape enough so no issue splashing out for cool experiences along the way as we haven’t been away in 2 years, I know , I know is this really the best idea I could muster
                      At least we’re booked into the big dome in Longford in January is this goes Pete tong!

Anyone know of pools, Aqua domes etc open to the public up that way?

Do you think the seats swivel

Are you getting the Etrusco or one of the Rimors?
                      www.PatHoranMotors.com

E39 M5, Mk2 GTI, Mk1 GTI, E30, Caddy vanyadda yadda

Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.

Comment

Oh and the heaters are more than you will need. All Truma, industry standard gas heaters. Perfectly safe, no fumes inside.

I know this, because he bought all his coach built, and one of his van types, from us.
                        www.PatHoranMotors.com

E39 M5, Mk2 GTI, Mk1 GTI, E30, Caddy vanyadda yadda

Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.

Comment

There's an app on the playstore "motorhome parking ireland" - few euro but is great for contact details of campsites and locations you can park up if you don't mind a bit of wild camping

Comment

I know of a Spierstown camper site outside Donegal town and I hear at the weekends the freshly baked scones and breads are available on site.
                            Finn Valley Centre has a nice pool worth a visit but if you want water slides no dice and Bundoran waterworld stayed closed all year. Try Derry for that where you can also book them time on the climbing wall.
                            Once you get used to the horizontal rain you'll be fine.
                            Wild Ireland are even doing santa visits so you might get a Christmas vibe going.
                            Plenty scenic spots for a visit if the weather stays fair.
                            There a few things like go kart tracks and open farms e.g. Lurgybrack.
                            The fishing rod might work out too. You could try st John's point as is a fairly popular spot.
                            I think you'll have a blast. Sure holiday is holiday!
                            I've moved out to the country and I'm eating a lot of peaches

Comment

If you are going as far as Derry, then you may as well hit Malin Head. There's a route called the Inishowen 100 which brings you in a loop around the peninsula. Buncranna has Ubiquitous for eats. Fort Dunree is kinda cool. Scenic of course. Urris, where the Mamore Gap is is gonna be exposed but scenic AF, there was film of a house with a full bog oozing through it from a landslide here a few years back. Clonmeny has the waterfall walk, a brief 30 mins will do it, then onto Ballyliffin for a beach walk and Nancy's Barn for chowder after.

On into Carndonagh and a stop for coffee in Cafe Banba, or if you like cream buns Clares beside the Supervalu. Irelands most Northerly Rugby Club is here too and you might catch a game of a Saturday. Heading out to Malin town then, it used win tidy towns and is super scenic, Five Fingers Strand then, and the Knockameny Bends, class scenery. Off over the back road to Malin head, you'll pass where the Millenium Falcan landed, then Banba's Crown, which is Malin Head, with the white "Eire" imprinted on the landscape. There's nice new public toilets and walks here, might be a bit too exposed to over night in the camper.

On then to Malin pier (I learned to swim there) and a visit to Farren's bar, the most Northerly and famed for Star Wars murals and patronage of the cast durng filming. There are two camping parks around here too where you might be able to overnight. Peckish? Head over the road to the Seaview Tavern. Fantastic views of Instrahull and onwards to Scotland if it is clear. Glengad now, you might see basking sharks off the cliff here. Locals regard Glengad as the end of the earth and folks there tend to be a bit out there.

Next up is Culdaff, beautiful village with a cracking beach (oh, and Irelands most Northerly footie pitch in the dunes). A bracing walk in the beach can be followed by soup and pints in McGrory's back in Culdaff. Now if you fancied a secluded and scenic wild camp then maybe try Kinigoe Bay to park and sleep. You'll have some craic maneuvering a camper down the road of course, but it will be pitch black and only you and the waves come morning.

Continuing on and you'll hit Shroove (or Stroove as the signposts say) and a nice short calm beach with a class lighthouse beside it. On now to Greencastle and maybe some seafood fresh off the boat in Kealey's on the pier. There's a lovely shorefront walk to Moville which brings you along the Foyle. In Moville you've Rosato's for food and drink.

Camping wise, well parking a camper, Greencastle has a few static mobile homes as does Culdaff and also around Malin so I don't think you'd be stuck if you contacted them to see what they could accommodate.

If you were thinking of golfering, well, Ballyliffin has 2 18 hole courses. You'll struggle to find better. Borderland in Muff will sell you all the wetsuits and stuff for pier jumping, Bunagee near Culdaff and Malin being your best bets.

Comment

Working...
                              X