Backroads Musicians Corner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backroads Musicians Corner

Searched the forums and was surprised there wasn’t already such a thread, as I know there are a good few musicians on here.

After a ~15 year hiatus, I’ve decided it’s time to pick up a guitar again, so I set myself a budget of €500 and headed to adverts/DoneDeal/Facebook to see what sort of small practice setup I could piece together for my budget. After a lot of dead ends, and people unwilling to ship to Sligo, I took my budget to Thomann, looked for some decent b-stock items and ended up with the following for about €100 under budget (€398.24 to be exact):
    • Squire Affinity telecaster (in butterscotch blonde)
    • Marshall origin 5
    • Shoulder strap, lead, picks
    • Wall mount/stand
    • Ernie ball strings for an immediate upgrade from the stock strings
    Im hoping to use my remaining budget to pick up a reverb pedal fairly sharpish as the amp is a straight up, single channel valve amp with no frills.

Now the long and eager wait for it to arrive so I can plug in and make some noises again!

So go on then, what do you play, where do you play it, and what have you got?

Acoustic guitar with pick up, Martin D15 with Takemine Triax pick up.
    I do the odd open mike locally, ecletic range (surprise, surprise).
    Great idea for a thread Colm
    2005 Alfa 166 2.0TS Grigio Geo - Daily Driver
    2003 Alfa 156 1.8TS Sportwagon Blu Cosmo
    2001 Alfa 166 3.0 Proteo Rosso - The Beast - resting for now
    2000 Alfa 166 2.5 V6 Auto Verde Argo - the Baby
    1999 Alfa 166 2.5 V6 Grigio Nettuno - Track Car
    1984 Alfasud 1.5 Gold Cloverleaf Florentine Copper - the other Baby

Comment

Good on you for getting back into it Colm!

It's no longer my day job, but teaching/performing music was my livlihood for a long time. I still do bits and pieces so I guess that makes me semi-pro now? I have a home studio setup and as well as recording my own stuff, I do random work producing virtual choirs and multitracks.

Instruments:
      • Violin - made by Conor Russell (Wicklow) in 2009. I've had it from new.
      • Piano - Yamaha...something. It's a lovely upright piano! I also have a Korg sp-170 which is mainly used as a midi keyboard these days
      • Acoustic guitars - Furch Blue series acoustic. A little known Czech make which punches well above it's weight. I have a cheaper Freshman acoustic as well. My wife's Takemine EF also gets a decent amount of playing
      • Electric guitar - Gretsch G5220 electromatic jet. Also a Thomann B stock purchase this year, it replaced my old mexican tele which went back to it's previous owner. I have Bias FX2 on the pc which is amp and pedal modelling software, it's great fun!
      These days I play for myself, record some stuff at home when I get the chance.

Comment

Backroads band for the Xmas party, Nice.

I'm playing since I was a teenager many many years ago. On a Roland electric kit ATM for volume reasons.

I do pickup the guitar from time to time messing
        as Marcus Gronholm once said "up the arse of timo".....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqQhQSbe6fw

Comment

Cool idea. I don't play but come from a fairly musical family, of mostly trad musicians but the next generation are taking a slightly heavier direction.

Ye might not believe it but a regular poster on here is a former Gradam Ceoil TG4 Young Musician of the Year, which would be considered very prestigious in trad circles, Trad Grammys if you will.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hooch View Post
            Cool idea. I don't play but come from a fairly musical family, of mostly trad musicians but the next generation are taking a slightly heavier direction.

Ye might not believe it but a regular poster on here is a former Gradam Ceoil TG4 Young Musician of the Year, which would be considered very prestigious in trad circles, Trad Grammys if you will.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk
            I can hazard a guess as to who the bloke you’re on about is

I’d be the same as you in that most of my relatives on my dads side are very musical, some music teachers, a couple of lecturers, and a handful of others performers. My younger brother got the talent in our family, 1st class honours in a bachelor and master of music, and can play any instrument he looks at. I played piano for many years as a kid, and moved on to guitar and drums, playing in bands through school, before the attraction of sports, cars and boozing took over in uni. But there’s no time like the present to go again!

Comment

Think there was a thread like this back on Octane. That one reminded me to drag the gear from under the bed and give it some time.

Bought and sold a lot of stuff in the last 3 years or so, to break out of ruts, find new grooves and try new things. So after many electrics and even a couple of acoustics I find myself with:

- K-Line Strat copy, one of the originals with the fender style headstock. Sort of 50s style. The neck is like an ESB pole but it’s light as a feather and super responsive. Could maybe use taller frets. I’ve had many strats and teles, Fender and clones, Japanese to Mexican to Custom Shop and this one might be the keeper.

- PRS DGT. I’ve had a few PRS and had kind of given up on them but saw one of these for sale and went to try, cash in hand. Can’t put it down. Best guitar I’ve ever owned. Just a few tweaks over other PRS models but make a world of difference. Don’t see myself letting it go.

- Victory V40 plus 2x12 cab. Bought a few years ago as a power trade down from a Mesa that was like a NASCAR revving in the corner. But even at its lowest it’s still loud. I’d stopped using for a couple of years and thought about selling but recently hooked it up again and decided I like it.

- Various pedals .. Strymon El Capistan is my favourite. All work well with the Victory.

- Amplitube on Mac, via Apogee One. The Apogee is a POS, hangs constantly. Amplitube is very impressive though and this setup replaced the amp and pedals for a year or two. But now I’m alternating again.

I’m lately thinking of having a go at bass. Maybe a short scale length like a Mustang. Because lazy. Any advice here gratefully received.

Originally posted by natnif View Post
              These days I play for myself, record some stuff at home when I get the chance.
              Didn’t you post a vid some time back ? Very good, as I recall. Motivation to maybe stop messing around at some stage and try to actually play something properly.

Comment

Originally posted by colm89 View Post

I can hazard a guess as to who the bloke you’re on about is

I’d be the same as you in that most of my relatives on my dads side are very musical, some music teachers, a couple of lecturers, and a handful of others performers. My younger brother got the talent in our family, 1st class honours in a bachelor and master of music, and can play any instrument he looks at. I played piano for many years as a kid, and moved on to guitar and drums, playing in bands through school, before the attraction of sports, cars and boozing took over in uni. But there’s no time like the present to go again!
                I haven't figured out how to multi-quote since the forum update!

Same story here, Lots of career musicians in my family on both sides. My mother's side is classical, my father's side more folky stuff. I went down the classical route for a long time. It's what I studied in college (performance in violin and voice).I went on to be a string teacher and choral conductor with some piano/guitar thrown in but I've left all that behind now and it's mainly guitar for me these days. My violin rarely leaves it's case!

Comment

Originally posted by motorhead View Post
                  - PRS DGT. I’ve had a few PRS and had kind of given up on them but saw one of these for sale and went to try, cash in hand. Can’t put it down. Best guitar I’ve ever owned. Just a few tweaks over other PRS models but make a world of difference. Don’t see myself letting it go.
                  Lovely. The only PRS I've ever had the gra' for

(This thread is useless without pics btw..)

Comment

Howya Joe, still got the orange wasp?
                    To the unending joy & relief of the dogs in the house, I off loaded me banjo but the gra is still there to get back at some stage….

Comment

Originally posted by motorhead View Post
                      Think there was a thread like this back on Octane. That one reminded me to drag the gear from under the bed and give it some time.

Bought and sold a lot of stuff in the last 3 years or so, to break out of ruts, find new grooves and try new things. So after many electrics and even a couple of acoustics I find myself with:

- K-Line Strat copy, one of the originals with the fender style headstock. Sort of 50s style. The neck is like an ESB pole but it’s light as a feather and super responsive. Could maybe use taller frets. I’ve had many strats and teles, Fender and clones, Japanese to Mexican to Custom Shop and this one might be the keeper.

- Victory V40 plus 2x12 cab. Bought a few years ago as a power trade down from a Mesa that was like a NASCAR revving in the corner. But even at its lowest it’s still loud. I’d stopped using for a couple of years and thought about selling but recently hooked it up again and decided I like it.

- Various pedals .. Strymon El Capistan is my favourite. All work well with the Victory.

- Amplitube on Mac, via Apogee One. The Apogee is a POS, hangs constantly. Amplitube is very impressive though and this setup replaced the amp and pedals for a year or two. But now I’m alternating again.

I’m lately thinking of having a go at bass. Maybe a short scale length like a Mustang. Because lazy. Any advice here gratefully received.

Didn’t you post a vid some time back ? Very good, as I recall. Motivation to maybe stop messing around at some stage and try to actually play something properly.
                      I've never played a K-line. I have a want for a G&L strat, it may happen next year.

Amplitube is pretty cool, similar to the setup I've got. It's great fun having so many options available. I recently sold my multi effects pedal as it was just gathering dust. I'm building up some cool virtual instruments as well for recording. It's a huge (and expensive) world once you get into it.

And yes, that was me who posted a video a good while back. New baby has stopped all of that in it's tracks, but I'll throw up another few bits here.
                      The first - I've ended up doing some multitrack covers over lockdown to keep myslef amused. This was a collaboration with my cousin and her husband. I'm on guitars and keys.
                      https://youtu.be/TCwmchcHIrI

This is the most recent original I finished a few months ago. Recorded and mixed in my spare bedroom studio!
                      https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XJs...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

^ Hell of a version of the petrolhead's favourite FM toon ​ Excellent - both of those Natnif.

Comment

Originally posted by foyler View Post
                          Howya Joe, still got the orange wasp?
                          To the unending joy & relief of the dogs in the house, I off loaded me banjo but the gra is still there to get back at some stage….
                          I do indeed Mark, it’s unfortunately been inactive due to some trying circumstances but I’m hoping to get that supercharger wound up soon.

Was not too far from your neck of the woods recently, and on a road I remember watching your S2000 in the mirrors, proceeding efficiently.

Actually, a banjo is something else I’m highly tempted to have a go at. Earl Scruggs made it look real easy so like how hard can it be.

Comment

Excellent stuff there Natnif .. keep it coming.

Comment

Originally posted by -alan- View Post

Lovely. The only PRS I've ever had the gra' for

(This thread is useless without pics btw..)
                              Let’s see if I can do this the lazy way ie upload screenshots from old adverts ads.

Comment

Working...
                              X