No announcement yet.

Covid-19 Pandemic - Alright everyone, back to The Pile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think the big caveat from NPHET is that we need to be prepared to go backwards if we have to. We don't want to, but the unvaccinated world is a variant factory so what can we do?

I won't be rushing to pubs or restaurants; but as I've said all along. we shouldn't restrict others from doing so any longer than is absolutely necessary. Freedom matters.
    "All the finesse of a badger." (cdiv)

Comment

• I think many people are completely and utterly worn out by the whole thing and that many will experience a lift in restrictions with a mixture of joy and weariness. There will be magic in the simple things (a pint at a bar counter, a packed gig, travel to see friends and family without worrying too much etc.) and other things will grate (returning to commuting).

But along the lines of the pandemic and wartime analogies there will be a long period of adjustment to follow. Long Covid is very real, HCWs may suffer from PTSD, many workers are burned out, life decisions may have been postponed, some people are better off and others have suffered immensely. Marriages, family relationships, friendships have been impacted. The tourism and hospitality industry will take years to rebuild. Habits that people have built up during restrictions will not or will only slowly change. The State will have to pull back spending etc etc etc.
      1998 Porsche 911 3.4 Carrera 2 (996)
      2000 Mazda MX-5 1.8 Jasper Conran #68/400
      2003 BMW 325i E46 Sport Touring

Comment

• O'Connell Street this evening! 😂
        Attached Files

Comment

• To be honest the lifting of restrictions won't be a magic moment for me. I've had 2 years of a new mind set and an announcment that some restrictions are lifted wont change that. I'll still think twice about going into a packed pub. For me while masks and testing centres are a thing its still around. I don't see how we will go back to 2019 normality.
          https://www.picfair.com/users/MarkT128/

Comment

• I was listening to Micheál Martin. I don't often agree with him. He was asked if there would be an enquiry into the conduct of the pandemic. He replied that he hoped it would be more of an evaluation, with a view to learning lessons* about how to manage a further pandemic. I agree with him on this occasion.

* don't spend millions on stupid twitter ads about how we are all in this together for example.
            sigpichttps://mingshitters.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Not ashamed to admit I’m bawling crying listening to the Taoiseach.

Comment

• Fatherhood has obviously had a weird effect on you dude but sure tis Freedom Day I guess

Comment

• Originally posted by foyler View Post
                  Fatherhood has obviously had a weird effect on you dude but sure tis Freedom Day I guess
                  😂.

SJ,
                  I remember the announcement of the first lifting of restrictions and I did feel a little emotional at the time. It was such a relief.
                  I know you're more of a fan of our dear leaders than I am but to shed a tear.....

Ah jaysus, Get a hold of yourself man..... 😁

Comment

• In fairness I cried at a video of The Rock yesterday. I may be over tired…

Comment

• Originally posted by SJ View Post
                      Not ashamed to admit I’m bawling crying listening to the Taoiseach.
                      Hearing Mehole talk usually makes me cry too, maybe different reasons though......!

Comment

• Call a snap election, get a post COVID good news bounce and see the shinners gurn.....🤣

Comment

• I don't watch news much except the big picture stuff (Ukraine / electric vehicles / what the US is up to) but from what I gathered we did pretty well considering our next door neighbour was the worst performing country on the continent and I was certain they would drag us down with them. Well done everybody!

Except I don't all this mission accomplished stuff - this will be a problem for many years to come yet.

Comment

• Going to back off on the daily data updates again, will update maybe once a week or so for a while to see how the lifting of restrictions progresses etc

836 covid patients in hospital reported today
                            Discharges 103
                            Direct covid admissions 65
                            Hospital detected/incidental admissions 39
                            ICU 78

Last edited by Mark F; 22-01-2022, 12:36 PM. Reason: Today ICU qty included

Comment

• Thanks once again Mark.

Comment

• Thanks Mark. The graphs have been a great help

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X