Covid-19 Pandemic - Alright everyone, back to The Pile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bunk View Post

Yes, if only this elite athlete with minimal risk of covid would take an outdated vaccine, developed against a strain of the virus that no longer exists, that the CEO of the company producing it has said will not stop him contracting omicron, will not stop him spreading it, whose protection will expire in a matter of 8 weeks, and require a new version. That will really show people everywhere. Nothing like a good old bit of spite eh?
    He is setting a sh1tty example for the millions of people that look up to him. Meeting people and carrying on as normal while positive, attending events and meeting children and flying about the place. He’s a d1ck for doing it and fair play to Australia to have the balls to pull him up on it. He got away with it last year. Good riddance Novax.

Comment

• If your accustomed to privilege, then equality feels like discrimination

Comment

Yes, if only this elite athlete with minimal risk of covid would take an outdated vaccine, developed against a strain of the virus that no longer exists, that the CEO of the company producing it has said will not stop him contracting omicron, will not stop him spreading it, whose protection will expire in a matter of 8 weeks, and require a new version. That will really show people everywhere. Nothing like a good old bit of spite eh?
        As someone living in Melbourne I can tell you that the vast public feeling is that of glad he's been shown the door & anger at the fact that he lied about several details on his official forms to get in. At the end of the day this didn't actually come down to him being vax'd or not for the vast majority myself included...There have been some horrific stories of people unable to get back into Aus over the last two years to be with a dying relative so this simply came down to wanting the same rules we've had to live by being enforced equally & not one rule for the rich/famous etc.

I suspect it's the same feeling in London, no one cares that Boris & some of his staff had a drink in the garden, what people care about is that they where forbidden from doing the same or being with a loved one who was dying etc
        Speed is just a question of money, how fast do you want to go

Comment

• My uncle's wife passed away in the autumn. Their son couldn't leave Melbourne for his mom's funeral. No ifs no buts, no court cases, no appeal, stay where you are, go watch it on a webcam. So I have very little sympathy for the lad with the tennis racket.
          ​​​​​

Comment

Do we do that currently (I mean pre-pandemic) for flu or is it only if you were hospitalised that we would do it?
            Pretty much - we collect data on 'flu like' presentations at GPs and do PCR tests on a sample.

You've posted some things that suggest that vaccines are not much use.

For balance, here are the ICU rates in UK and US- I'm pretty confident that the difference in vaccination rates is the difference here. I was pretty worried by the NY figures a couple of weeks ago as I didn't know how we would stack up, but our vax rates mean we've ended up better than the UK. These vaccines work.

Here is the (age standardised) death rate in Chile, also. Thankfully we have so few unvaccinated that we can't get a significant sample size here.

FJNzEAHXoAAkqKV?format=jpg&name=small.jpg
            Last edited by SJ; 17-01-2022, 11:32 AM.
            "All the finesse of a badger." (cdiv)

Comment

• 1006 covid patients in hospital reported today - Rise in inpatients as expected today as a result of lower weekend discharges
              Discharges 30
              Direct covid admissions 56
              Hospital detected/incidental admissions 42
              Total new covid admissions (Direct & Hospital detected/incidental) are also reducing , 935 in last 7 days vs 1035 for the previous 7 days
              ICU 88 (as of 8pm last night)

Comment

• Spare a thought for the Chinese: https://edition.cnn.com/2022/01/17/c...hnk/index.html

The Chinese authorities really know how to take lockdown seriously.

I can't wait for this to be over (or for everyone to realise it actually is over?) for lots of reasons of course but included in them is the fact that how to deal with Coronavirus and vaccines etc. is one the most polarising and divisive issues we face, and there seems to be no end to partial information and vehement stances being taken on the basis of such information which causes more polarisation and so on (to be clear that comment is not directed at anyone here).

sigpichttps://mingshitters.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by SJ View Post

You've posted some things that suggest that vaccines are not much use.
                  I think you know I was mainly talking about transmission and case numbers for starters (and more recently I was simply quoting the manufacturer of the product) in the context of Omicron. On Omicron, I would say that the data is difficult to interpret right now, because different countries have different mixes of delta/omicron, and different societal/population factors. Thats the first time I can recall someone pull a chart about Chile out to illustrate a point. Just as one example, without stratifying the deaths and hospitalisations figures according to variant, and if for example there are long term delta patients in ICU one can easy imagine a situation where those charts are not particularly relevant for what we are currently dealing with in Ireland. Data from countries such as Denmark is not showing a significant difference, the mix of cases broadly accords with the overall vaxxed % in the country. I have tried to find similar data for Ireland, but the HSPC data doesnt provide enough granularity and the relevant data about the ICU's and hospitalisations hadnt been updated beyond 4th December last time I checked. Equally the CSO stopped producing data 10th December. Maybe its available to insiders.

As a serious question, because I havent seen anyone ask this and there was an obvious opening at the press conference the other day when Tony Holohan said (in relation to boosters)

""In addition, we know that those who have been boosted are less susceptible to infection and, if infected, are less infectious to others, compared with those who have not been boosted."

Now if I had been in the room, I would have asked how he reconciles that with us having the worst cases in the world per head of population, given that we are one of the highest vaccinated populations in the world, and the highest boosted country in Europe? How do we have case levels likely 2-4 times higher than England, with 5 times our population density, poorer vaccination rates, where society is continuing as normal, with nightclubs bars and restaurants fully open, 80,000 crowds at football games etc?

Comment

• On Jokovic and Boris etc., having had to choose which 1o people could come to a family funeral this time last year, and have the service in a very large empty church, I also feel little sympathy for either of them.

Comment

• I posted the Chile data because it was available from an account I follow on Twitter and so I didn't have to do a lot of work.
                      I don't think we have case levels that much higher than England did at their peak, which came slightly earlier than ours.
                      Boosters only started here in December, and cases have been overwhelmingly in the younger age groups who were unboosted until a couple of weeks ago. Effectiveness kicks in about a week after vaccination.

I've asked at several points why are rates of infection are so high - it's always a combination of small things - the age of the population, the level of co-living, the average number of social contacts per person...
                      Last edited by SJ; 17-01-2022, 12:03 PM.
                      "All the finesse of a badger." (cdiv)

Comment

• Originally posted by ming View Post

i can't wait for this to be over (or for everyone to realise it actually is over?) for lots of reasons of course but included in them is the fact that how to deal with coronavirus and vaccines etc. Is one the most polarising and divisive issues we face, and there seems to be no end to partial information and vehement stances being taken on the basis of such information which causes more polarisation and so on (to be clear that comment is not directed at anyone here).
                        amen!!

Comment

• Originally posted by fasterfitz View Post
                          If your accustomed to privilege, then equality feels like discrimination
                          A Powerfull statement and so very true.

I was delighted last night to hear that 1 person has left ICU.
                          My cousin was discharged from hospital and has fully recovered.

Comment

• Good to hear Renn!

Comment

• Great news Renn... hope it's all smooth sailing for them going forward
                              Speed is just a question of money, how fast do you want to go

Comment

• That's really good news Renn. Great to hear a recovery story. Hope it's over and no after effects.

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X