Covid-19 Pandemic - Alright everyone, back to The Pile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SJ View Post

Yeah. In Spain they're talking about sample-based surveillance rather than testing to try to catch every case, which makes sense in an endemic phase.

It's worth saying that 'living with Covid' doesn't mean ignoring it, just to balance some of the more simplistic coverage the concept sometimes gets.

EDIT: I don't agree that vaccination rates are not an issue. One of the reasons we are doing OK is that we have good rates.
    Do we do that currently (I mean pre-pandemic) for flu or is it only if you were hospitalised that we would do it?

Comment

• big drop in last 24 hours with 940 covid patients in hospital reported today
      Discharges 127
      Direct covid admissions 70
      Hospital detected/incidental admissions 49
      ICU 83 (as of 8pm last night)

Comment

• PCR test 7 day % positivity rate has turned and is now on the downward trajectory

Comment

• Originally posted by Roarsbaby View Post
          OK lads there’ll be no 4th dose for me.
          In Beaumont with one or two blood clots in my right lung which developed 2 days or so after my booster
          Change my mind
          OK lads, mea culpa, bit quick to blame the jab.
          I'm home (and alive) thank God.
          No beds on Wednesday so sat in a (comfy) chair in Emergency Dept (Beaumont) all night with zero sleep.
          Bloods suggested clots and CT with dye confirmed it. Blood thinners (possibly long term).
          Two nights in ward and feeling a lot better today. I could have sworn one of the clots moved at 5AM
          this morning whilst myself and herself chatted over coffee whilst nipper was still asleep.
          Unprovoked pulmonary embolism so further tests will be carried out to try to identify the cause.
          It's not uncommon for it to be fatal if not caught in time so I'm definitely counting my blessings.
          No long haul flights, long drives, long stints on the couch watching Netflix etc
          Training will be gentler for the next while.
          Thanks for all the nice words
          2005 Alfa 166 2.0TS Grigio Geo - Daily Driver
          2003 Alfa 156 1.8TS Sportwagon Blu Cosmo
          2001 Alfa 166 3.0 Proteo Rosso - The Beast - resting for now
          2000 Alfa 166 2.5 V6 Auto Verde Argo - the Baby
          1999 Alfa 166 2.5 V6 Grigio Nettuno - Track Car
          1984 Alfasud 1.5 Gold Cloverleaf Florentine Copper - the other Baby

Comment

• Glad to hear. Keep on keeping on at this hard time for you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roarsbaby View Post

OK lads, mea culpa, bit quick to blame the jab.
              I'm home (and alive) thank God.
              No beds on Wednesday so sat in a (comfy) chair in Emergency Dept (Beaumont) all night with zero sleep.
              Bloods suggested clots and CT with dye confirmed it. Blood thinners (possibly long term).
              Two nights in ward and feeling a lot better today. I could have sworn one of the clots moved at 5AM
              this morning whilst myself and herself chatted over coffee whilst nipper was still asleep.
              Unprovoked pulmonary embolism so further tests will be carried out to try to identify the cause.
              It's not uncommon for it to be fatal if not caught in time so I'm definitely counting my blessings.
              No long haul flights, long drives, long stints on the couch watching Netflix etc
              Training will be gentler for the next while.
              Thanks for all the nice words
              Scary stuff hope you get better soon!

Comment

• Got my Booster today. Didn't fancy queuing in the cold when my age cohort was announced before Christmas, seemed like a surefire way to catch a cold at least. The most painful part of the process was the queuing indoors and people not moving forward because they were too busy on their phones to pay attention. Drove by the drive in testing on my way out and it looked very quiet from what I could see, hopefully that is a good sign.

Comment

• Well that sounds like good news Roarsbaby.
                  Mark those charts are class. Fair play to you. Yeah looks like things have turned in the right direction, I am kinda wondering if the change in rules has affected the testing figures, but the hospital figures are very welcome news.

Comment

• Good riddance - I am at my wits end at the sheer arrogance of east Europeans and their attitude to the vaccines.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alfaguy View Post
                      Good riddance - I am at my wits end at the sheer arrogance of east Europeans and their attitude to the vaccines.
                      Huh? Whaddidimiss?

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Alfaguy View Post
                        Good riddance - I am at my wits end at the sheer arrogance of east Europeans and their attitude to the vaccines.
                        Yes, if only this elite athlete with minimal risk of covid would take an outdated vaccine, developed against a strain of the virus that no longer exists, that the CEO of the company producing it has said will not stop him contracting omicron, will not stop him spreading it, whose protection will expire in a matter of 8 weeks, and require a new version. That will really show people everywhere. Nothing like a good old bit of spite eh?

Comment

• Originally posted by miller View Post
                          Huh? Whaddidimiss?

There's definitely a strong streak of vaccine hesitancy in most Euro countries west of Germany, but that's less "arrogance" and more there being a pretty strong correlation between peoples trust of the state and vaccine acceptance. If you've lived in a former communist regime that often now have governments with a more authoritarian streak, you tend not to trust em. Whoda thunk?

This impacts not just residents of those countries, but their emigrant diasporas as their social media feeds are even more full than usual of anti-vax stuff

Not defending vaccine hesitancy, but its more useful to get some idea why we're seeing it than the barstool hot takes.
                          Last edited by crank_case; 16-01-2022, 03:59 PM.
                          https://www.instagram.com/diecast_1_64/

Comment

• Originally posted by Bunk View Post

Yes, if only this elite athlete with minimal risk of covid would take an outdated vaccine, developed against a strain of the virus that no longer exists, that the CEO of the company producing it has said will not stop him contracting omicron, will not stop him spreading it, whose protection will expire in a matter of 8 weeks, and require a new version. That will really show people everywhere. Nothing like a good old bit of spite eh?
                            Could be considered performance enhancing.

Comment

• Aaah I get it.
                              A Polish lady showed me a picture of her husband's badly rashed 'big' belly, saying it was the vaccine.
                              I knew from other sources he had consumed a full bottle of Vodka the night before. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

I think people just like drama most of the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by miller View Post
                                Aaah I get it.
                                A Polish lady showed me a picture of her husband's badly rashed 'big' belly, saying it was the vaccine.
                                I knew from other sources he had consumed a full bottle of Vodka the night before. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

I think people just like drama most of the time.

I hope she had her clothes on.

Comment

Working...
                                X