No announcement yet.

Covid-19 Pandemic - Alright everyone, back to The Pile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Genuine question, why aren't the youngun's wearing masks ? I was out for my oat milk cappuccino with no chocolate in a reusable cup made from recycled coffee cups ( howya gretta! ) at lunch and while everyone in the coffee shop was wearing their mask there was a little thing in there coughing and spluttering like an auld fella after 40 years of hard drinking. honestly she would have given Bishop Tony a stroke.
    Don't bother with Eco, it's not very nice, leave it in normal & drive it like you just stole it.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron-ek9 View Post
      Between April 1st and November 13th 2021
      • 651 deaths (243 unvaccinated, 408 with at least one dose, 333 fully vaccinated)

Main points since last week's update
      • 48 ICU admissions (20 unvaccinated, 28 with at least one dose, 23 fully vaccinated)
      • 45 deaths (0 unvaccinated, 45 with at least one dose, 41 fully vaccinated)

Source: https://www.hpsc.ie/

Vaccination status of deaths since last week's update

• 29 deaths (6 unvaccinated, 23 with at least one dose, 19 fully vaccinated)

hmmm... a concerning trend?

Comment

Originally posted by SJ View Post

So, NPHET have been really clear that children that age are, on average, at lower risk in school than out of school. Schools being open are not the reason cases are high in that age cohort and they firmly believe that it's indoor activity other than school that is driving transmission.
        I'm willing to bet that's going to be reversed and in hindsight seen as inaccurate. At least the evidence is increasingly going that way in other countries, and authorities are discussing trends and available options.

Tony H keeps talking about playdates. It makes me a little uncomfortable TBH.
        LOL

Comment

Tony H keeps talking about playdates. It makes me a little uncomfortable TBH.
          If you don't want to go, just tell him firmly SJ.

Comment

Originally posted by deltona View Post
            I'm willing to bet that's going to be reversed and in hindsight seen as inaccurate. At least the evidence is increasingly going that way in other countries, and authorities are discussing trends and available options.
            I tend to agree - I just can't accept that they kids being around each other for 7 hours a day is low risk, while one or two kids popping over to their house for an hour or two is high risk, if that's actually happening at all. FWIW, my kids haven't had a single play date or party in 2 years now - I'd almost rather they caught a dose of it rather than see them upset on a regular basis because they think they have no friends. Can't be good for their mental health in the long term.

Anyway - speaking of Saint Tony H. Was in a car dealers recently collecting some parts when he rolled up. Virtually every member of staff was maskless or had them round their chin or whatever. Haven't seen a group of people jump into action like they did since my school days.

Comment

Originally posted by deltona View Post

I don't know if that's quite right - I think it's more that, with vaccination and mask wearing as good as it will get, we move on to the more minor measures. It's difficult to tell if mask wearing in schools helps, because it's correlated with better behaviours elsewhere, for example, but I kinda think it's worth a go for a short time if it helps avoid more restrictive measures.

Here's a graph on school case rates from the USA (source: https://emilyoster.substack.com/p/sc...shboard-update)

This graph looks very different from the equivalent for nursing homes for example -rates in nursing homes tend to be higher than the background rate partly because significant transmission happens there; whereas schools mirror the general community rate, but lower reflecting that kids are overall less likely to get symptomatic disease.

Pre Delta, we were pretty sure that schools were safe, as Ronan said at the time. Data from North Carolina, covering 90,000 students and staff, found 32 instances of probable in-school transmission over a period of 9 weeks. That's really low.

Post Delta, risk everywhere is higher. We're still waiting for good data, but the positivity rate of kids under 12 in the UK remained below 2% at the peak of their surge, and that obviously includes transmission from all sources.
              Last edited by SJ; 25-11-2021, 04:50 PM.
              "All the finesse of a badger." (cdiv)

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron-ek9 View Post
                Vaccination status of deaths since last week's update

• 29 deaths (6 unvaccinated, 23 with at least one dose, 19 fully vaccinated)

hmmm... a concerning trend?
                from the info here:https://covid-19.geohive.ie/pages/vaccinations My maths has the vaccine eligible population at 3.96 million people

stats.png

which is just around 3:1 for death rate vaccinated vs not.

Aaron do you have a direct link to the article you got that from?
                Last edited by JohnBoy; 25-11-2021, 05:13 PM.

Comment

I don't know if that's quite right - I think it's more that, with vaccination and mask wearing as good as it will get, we move on to the more minor measures. It's difficult to tell if mask wearing in schools helps, because it's correlated with better behaviours elsewhere, for example, but I kinda think it's worth a go for a short time if it helps avoid more restrictive measures.
                  Some countries are now reintroducing mandatory mask wearing for primary school children, including EU countries. As I mentioned, their data is swinging the other way and they're beginning to act on it.

Comment

Originally posted by the drifter View Post
                    Genuine question, why aren't the youngun's wearing masks ? I was out for my oat milk cappuccino with no chocolate in a reusable cup made from recycled coffee cups ( howya gretta! ) at lunch and while everyone in the coffee shop was wearing their mask there was a little thing in there coughing and spluttering like an auld fella after 40 years of hard drinking. honestly she would have given Bishop Tony a stroke.
                    Cause its impossible to get kids to wear them properly and make them stop touching anything that moves and does not move at any given time...
                    But kids are sadly superspreaders...
                    "This is a non-contact sport but then so is ice hockey" - Roberto Giordanelli on Irish FIAT Punto racing but applies to all Irish racing..
                    "Tailgaters have small dicks" - Me

Comment

Originally posted by JohnBoy View Post

from the info here:https://covid-19.geohive.ie/pages/vaccinations My maths has the vaccine eligible population at 3.96 million people

stats.png

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/...n%20Report.pdf

Comment

It is definitely time to bring back the €9 plate of fish and chips vaccine also. And we need county differences so you can have pubs yards from each other with different rules to preserve optionality.
                        sigpichttps://mingshitters.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by JohnBoy View Post

stats.png

Hmmmmm it’s not that brilliant, is it? Mind you, with vaccination bias towards older and more vulnerable cohorts, you need to look at this across age groups I think. Eg 70-80yo’s vaccinated or not, 20-30yo’s vaccinated or not, etc. Otherwise you get too much bias I think. It’d be interesting to see that across hospitalisations and ICU also.
                          I'm with the resistance

Comment

I get this. Obviously the line about "we never said" is wrong; and unfortunate; but treating it like a f*cking gotcha is bullsh1t.
                            I'm far less worried about "gotcha" than I am about whether he "got it".

Back when they were all harping on how not just safe schools were, but they were so safe that you could forget about contact tracing, forget about telling other parents whether there are cases in the school/class/pod because these magical schools were so safe. A bunch of kids indoors half the day and then playing outside with each other. Anyone could tell that it was bad idea to drop those safeguards around tracing.

Yet now we have a handbrake on ready for a Scandinavian flick into antigen testing, letting people know about cases in the school and even NPHET talking about Masks. From these, QUOTED, "Safe environments".

They got this seriously, seriously wrong and are back peddling and trying to make out like they didnt say it was a safe environment.

Comment

Load of nonsense painting it as some kind of u-turn. Cases are basically at their highest rate ever, 100% Delta, and there are essentially no restrictions, so some different things are appropriate now to last year.
                              "All the finesse of a badger." (cdiv)

Comment

New Thread just in time for a New Africanised variant that attacks the young....... Sounds like the plot of a Spider man movie....

To be continued.....

Comment

Working...
                                X