No announcement yet.

Covid-19 Pandemic - Alright everyone, back to The Pile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our daughter is in breakfast club at school - received texts last week on a daily basis notifying us our covid cases in the group. Every single one of those cases would have been mingling in a classroom for the vast majority of the day, but zero notifications from the school as per the new procedures. An absolutely moronic approach to take.

On a separate note - anyone read the figures on non-nationals in ICU? 28% of all cases in Sep / Oct were born outside of Ireland, 90% of whom are unvaccinated. Pretty staggering numbers.

Comment

Wait now we can lump non nationals in with anti vaxxers for some tar & feathering……let the games begin!
      My own sampling of the crew at work suggests a similar stark difference.

Out of 5 wonderful Polish folk - 0 vaccinated
      To the best of my knowledges out of 19 Irish & 4 French -23 vaccinated

Pretty fcukin stark, the upside being we couldn’t take em all out to some place else , so saved a few quid by having the end of season soiree chez nous & had a great night

Comment

I come across mostly “non nationals” from developing countries and they are flipping delighted to be given a vaccine in Ireland because they know what it’s like when Covid-19 rips through a population where there is no healthcare or vaccine to be had. For them it’s an incredible privilege to be offered a chance to be vaccinated. That on its own nearly justifies having relocated. In amidst all the moaning about vaccines, I think people perhaps forget the enormous privilege that we have and take for granted.
        I'm with the resistance

Comment

Agree wholeheartedly dmz & I had a good number of long chats with the senior fella in the crew who’s a good friend , but it was very much I’m alright jack, hearsay , distrust, but essentially little concern for the common good and only likely to be influenced / vaxxed if it started to impinge on their lives, travel etc which is kind of understandable even if you disagree.
          It also to my mind makes some of the strong arm tactics elsewhere similarly understandable, apart from 1 loon they really weren’t that strongly against it at all, just not pushed to get it, healthy distrust of authority added in.

Comment

The Eastern European vaccine scepticism is as widespread through those population here as it is in their native countries, vaccination rates amongst Irish resident Poles, Russians, Latvians and so on is piss poor, and there is significant resistance to pressure to get vaccinated among those populations.

BTW, I hate the phrase 'non-national'. Pretty much everyone is a national of somewhere. I think it's lazy and pretty offensive.

Comment

Another major communications shambles - "we never said schools were safe". We never said schools are safe with Covid, says Nphet member (breakingnews.ie)

Apart from all the times you did? When you said it on camera and in were quoted in print? And then got rid of contact tracing in schools and stopped the schools from telling parents about covid cases?

Are they the biggest Gaslighters going?

Comment

Originally posted by foyler View Post
                Wait now we can lump non nationals in with anti vaxxers for some tar & feathering……let the games begin!
                My own sampling of the crew at work suggests a similar stark difference.

Out of 5 wonderful Polish folk - 0 vaccinated
                To the best of my knowledges out of 19 Irish & 4 French -23 vaccinated
                The figures are definitely stark, but I don't see there being any major push to address it - I'm guessing no one wants to be seen to be focusing on them for fear of people playing the racism card. Article is below.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/heal...pass-1.4733501

An analysis by the Central Statistics Office on Friday demonstrates the folly of (some) youth. Almost 62 per cent of hospitalised Covid-19 patients who were under 25 were not vaccinated, while 48 per cent in the 25-44 age group were not vaccinated.

The CSO found 28 per cent of cases in ICU in September and October were people not born in Ireland – 90 per cent of people not born here who were in ICU reported being unvaccinated.
                I know from parents at our kids school that virtually every parent who was not born in Ireland is refusing a vaccine. Its an obvious issue if a significant portion of the population (13%?) will never take a vaccination.

Comment

Thats a coinky-dink -

Leo Varadkar tells Claire Byrne he expects to see pop-up vaccination clinics in places with large migrant populations soon, and there’s work to do to provide migrants with the public health information which the State provides to the wider population. #Rtept #TodayCB

Comment

While PCR test availability is widely reported to be an issue currently, the 7 day % test positive rate has plateaued/started to reduce, which is very good news . (% test positive isn't overly impacted by testing capacity as with test qtys still being processed its remains a very good sample of the population.)

Significant disparity exists between daily test numbers and case numbers this week so far, expect a large case qty to be reported heading into the weekend!

Last edited by Mark F; 25-11-2021, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Some big reduction in Hospital inpatient numbers this week, , driven mainly by large discharge numbers, leading me to think it's hospital outbreaks from a few weeks ago are now under control and inpatients who contracted whilst in hospital ended their quarantine period and were discharged

Comment

It's amazing how the quality of insight improves when Mark F shows up vs the waffle from NPHET.
                        I'm with the resistance

Comment

Comment

Comment

inpatients by hospital as at 8pm last night

Comment

Originally posted by DMZ View Post
                                It's amazing how the quality of insight improves when Mark F shows up vs the waffle from NPHET.
                                Was thinking the very same thing whilst reading Mark's posts.

Comment

Working...
                                X