Covid-19 Pandemic - Alright everyone, back to The Pile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Normal people: Ah yes, I can see the correlation between vaccinations and deaths. Better get vaccinated, its the safe thing to do.
      flatearthers: BuT wHAT abUoT SloVakiA???

Also, I know for a fact that some of these figures are wrong. In Poland at least the gov. is doctoring the stats for political purposes.

"This is a non-contact sport but then so is ice hockey" - Roberto Giordanelli on Irish FIAT Punto racing but applies to all Irish racing..
      "Tailgaters have small dicks" - Me

Comment

Yeah, there's definitely something not correct with that ECDC graph.

I just looked at the Slovak authorities officially reported stats and across 9/11/21 - 23/11/21 they published 742 deaths directly from covid (higher if other complications exist and covid was one of the contributing factors).

Taking the SK population as of Nov. 22 2021 it returns a figure of 136 deaths per 1 million population over the 14-day period of 9/11-23/11/21, but the graph shows 29.
        There'll be some drift because we're looking at different date ranges, but not enough to account for such a large discrepancy!

Comment

Different countries report deaths differently. You need to understand that difference in order to draw any conclusions. Sweden, for instance, backdates the deaths to when they actually happened, not when they were reported. So deaths in the last 14 days is always low. Slovakia and Poland might do the same. You sometimes hear the same in Ireland where 50 deaths were reported on a particular day but then it turns out half of them were in September etc.

Sweden has about 5-10 deaths a day at the moment so Sweden's number should be about 14x5 = 70 and then divide by 10M so about 7-10 somewhere. Instead of the 3 above.
          I'm with the resistance

Comment

If deaths is the success metric then you should probably include cases also. I think you'll find in Ireland's case that the vaccinations provide a significant firewall against the deaths.
            I'm with the resistance

Comment

Originally posted by DMZ View Post
              Different countries report deaths differently. You need to understand that difference in order to draw any conclusions. Sweden, for instance, backdates the deaths to when they actually happened, not when they were reported. So deaths in the last 14 days is always low. Slovakia and Poland might do the same. You sometimes hear the same in Ireland where 50 deaths were reported on a particular day but then it turns out half of them were in September etc.

Sweden has about 5-10 deaths a day at the moment so Sweden's number should be about 14x5 = 70 and then divide by 10M so about 7-10 somewhere. Instead of the 3 above.
              Yeah, it makes dedicating resources within the ECDC to compile and publish such graphs questionable, as the graph as published is pretty much meaningless.

Comment

I think it was made specifically to make a point of getting vaccines rather than being a actionable KPI.

For that purpose, I think its OK.
                And it probably took the better part of 30 minutes to do.
                "This is a non-contact sport but then so is ice hockey" - Roberto Giordanelli on Irish FIAT Punto racing but applies to all Irish racing..

Comment

Exactly, eliminate a couple of anomalies if you want, but the pattern doesnt change significantly. There's a pretty clear cause/effect vibe

Comment

Whilst I agree wholeheartedly with both of you, I also think if you're going to publish something then get it right.
                    DMZ instinctively knew the SE figures were askew, and I instinctively knew the SK figures were total BS, and hi-rev could raise questions on the PL numbers. That's 3 out of 27 countries in a matter of minutes on here.

It wouldn't change the overall message which is clear, but it would prevent flatearthers from so easily placing doubt in people's heads about authorities and reporting, messaging etc
                    If you need to get a message delivered then ensure it's clear and concise, but also ensure it's error free and can't be called into question.

Comment

true dat

Comment

Yep, cant argue against that!

Comment

Looking like schools have the potential to deliver a Christmas mess.

Comment

NPHET never said schools are safe

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/...r-1218524.html
                            https://www.picfair.com/users/MarkT128/

Comment

I think the obvious thing to do now is to close pubs at 11.
                              I'm with the resistance

Comment

Originally posted by DMZ View Post
                                I think the obvious thing to do now is to close pubs at 11.
                                am or pm ?
                                Don't bother with Eco, it's not very nice, leave it in normal & drive it like you just stole it.

Comment

Working...
                                X