No announcement yet.

Covid-19 Pandemic - Alright everyone, back to The Pile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There are worse places to be stuck in fairness.

Comment

• Wonder what a professionally administered antigen test is?? Would a CVS or Walgreens antigen test tick that box?

Comment

• And now it looks as if Germany will attempt to move towards mandatory vaccines as early as February under their new incoming chancellor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Traco View Post
          There are worse places to be stuck in fairness.
          Now that's what you call a socially distanced bit of paradise.

Comment

Wonder what a professionally administered antigen test is?? Would a CVS or Walgreens antigen test tick that box?
            I doubt it, if self administered. But if they have a cert or email they give you, then yep. In Vegas the antigen test at a private hospital was $60 with a PDF to show the flight attendant. PCR was $195 which I had to pay.

They do of course, absolutely ride you on the prices but f*cks sake, those are some pricey tests. Where do you fly out of? Possibility you can get an antigen there at the airport? If you have CVS giving you a cert or email of any sort, I'd say you will be grand.
            Last edited by el_marko; 01-12-2021, 12:23 AM.

Comment

• Will aer lingus accept a regular pcr test from a pharmacy? I’m flying home Friday from Tennessee.
              Struggling to find a place that can have results before I fly.

Comment

• I asked in a CVS and you might as well be asking a passing child cos they'd know more. MAGA my b0!!1x. I love the States but by God has it gone backwards in the last 20 years. It's not just this BTW it's everything, any deviation from the norm that requires any lateral thinking results in a complete shutdown of all systems.

Back on topic; we are flying Jet Blue from Fort Myers (RSW) to JFK and connecting on via Aer Lingus to DUB. All checked through so will have to sort something here.

I'll do some more digging and might just try the hospital and see what they say. If I can get clarity on the professionally administered antigen and get some official paperwork then that might be the way forward.

Comment

I asked in a CVS and you might as well be asking a passing child cos they'd know more. MAGA my b0!!1x. I love the States but by God has it gone backwards in the last 20 years. It's not just this BTW it's everything, any deviation from the norm that requires any lateral thinking results in a complete shutdown of all systems.

Back on topic; we are flying Jet Blue from Fort Myers (RSW) to JFK and connecting on via Aer Lingus to DUB. All checked through so will have to sort something here.

I'll do some more digging and might just try the hospital and see what they say. If I can get clarity on the professionally administered antigen and get some official paperwork then that might be the way forward.
                  Seeing as you're flying out of Fort Meyers then you could try these guys.

https://www.arcpointlabs.com/fort-my...sting-options/

they offer next day, same day and 3 hour emergency qPCR tests for travel (from $159-$249).

Chains like CVS are hopeless, staffed by people on crap salaries who really don't want to be there. I find independent firms, whether it's engineering or medical outfits still quite good to deal with over there and if you need something done, there are generally ways you can make that happen, except maybe on a Sunday
                  Last edited by conneem; 01-12-2021, 05:01 AM.

Comment

• Jesus, listened to the Armageddon wailing and gnashing of teeth on the radio this morning. In start contrast to the reality - the kids came to school, they wore their masks, not a tear was shed and we got on with the job.
                    I tell ya, God bless the teachers. Rocks of sense and sensibility.

You're welcome Ireland.

You. Are. Welcome.

Comment

• https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/...december-2021/

I must say as a parent of 4 kids under 12 I'm concerned where this is going. This just feels all wrong to me. We've gone from "schools are safe" to masking kids in the space of a few short weeks. I didnt pile in on NPHET with the "we never said schools are safe" places thing, because while they most certainly did and its an embarassing about-face, fundamentally, kids are statistically better to catch covid than the flu. We have had zero child deaths under 12 in the country from covid, there are no children in ICU and according to both Holohan and Micheal Martin in recent weeks, the childrens hospitals are struggling not with covid but with RSV and other respiratory illnesses caused by the kids of the country having an underdeveloped immune system as a consequence of lockdowns.

For that matter, the adult hospitals are coping pretty well, and once again everyone seems to be terrified of this new 400k cases in December projection that is no doubt as accurate as the 700k cases thing in July.

Whats worring me the most is the language which is similar to that in Holohans letter in the summer recommending vaccination for the 12-18 group.

https://assets.gov.ie/180194/3a1300b...197e939b68.pdf

In this letter he states essentially that children and young people

(1) have extremely low risk from covid
                      (2) the vaccines have not been adequately tested on those age groups and long term side effects cannot be known
                      (3) he recommends vaccination anyway to protect the kids not from the disease but from the disruption to their lives caused by his recommendations for how society deals with the virus.

Now since then we have learned that the vaccines are not going to give us herd immunity. This is the last plank on which any ethical medical practitioner could reasonably get their head around giving a medical treatment with unknown long term effects to a patient who statistically derives no benefit from it individually.

It appears he will be going down the same route with the latest letter.

"In a very short period of time, we have seen a significant and rapid deterioration in the epidemiological situation, and a resultant very high incidence in the as-yet-unvaccinated 5 – 11-year-old age group. This is a cause for some concern."

"I would also like to note that vaccines are doing an excellent job of preventing severe illness and disease in those who are fully vaccinated. This is really good news, and I welcome the European Medicines Agency (EMA) authorisation of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine for primary school going children (5-11 years). We anticipate receiving further advice from the National Immunisation Advisory Committee (NIAC) in the near future."

Now we know that vaccines are not going to give us herd immunity and do not prevent transmission of the virus. So why would we vaccinate children, when they do not suffer from this disease (I know there are exceptions), the transmission prevention/herd immunity window provided by it is very short and there are variants coming down the tracks that possibly will require more jabs? I just hope to God the introduction of child vaccinations is not accompanied by wider societal measures (such as vaccine passes etc) which essentially force parents to make a decision on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by bloke View Post
                        In start contrast to the reality - the kids came to school, they wore their masks, not a tear was shed and we got on with the job.
                        That wasn't everyones reality

Comment

• I vaccinated my kids (and let them decide too) after speaking to a senior nurse in crumlin who said that whilst kids aren't affected badly by COVID per SE the effects of long COVID on them are pretty damn bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by kdevitt View Post

That wasn't everyones reality
                            Indeed. And there exists not a statement to which that does not apply.

Comment

• For testing, i have been using things like qured.com.
                              they post u the kit, and you do the test urself with a ‘doctor’ looking at u do it on zoom.
                              send them a pic of ur id and results and u are good to go in less than an hour. Integrates with the verifly app too.
                              The code cm20 gets u 20% off at the min too.

plenty of free testing options up this enlightened () side of the country.

anicdotally, i heard about a Chinese parent of a co-worker rocking up to a cvs and getting a booster while on a trip here, so you can potentially give that a lash for extra immunity if that is ur thing
                              Last edited by cannyboy; 01-12-2021, 12:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                                https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/...december-2021/

I must say as a parent of 4 kids under 12 I'm concerned where this is going. This just feels all wrong to me. We've gone from "schools are safe" to masking kids in the space of a few short weeks. I didnt pile in on NPHET with the "we never said schools are safe" places thing, because while they most certainly did and its an embarassing about-face, fundamentally, kids are statistically better to catch covid than the flu. We have had zero child deaths under 12 in the country from covid, there are no children in ICU and according to both Holohan and Micheal Martin in recent weeks, the childrens hospitals are struggling not with covid but with RSV and other respiratory illnesses caused by the kids of the country having an underdeveloped immune system as a consequence of lockdowns.

For that matter, the adult hospitals are coping pretty well, and once again everyone seems to be terrified of this new 400k cases in December projection that is no doubt as accurate as the 700k cases thing in July.

Whats worring me the most is the language which is similar to that in Holohans letter in the summer recommending vaccination for the 12-18 group.

https://assets.gov.ie/180194/3a1300b...197e939b68.pdf

In this letter he states essentially that children and young people

(1) have extremely low risk from covid
                                (2) the vaccines have not been adequately tested on those age groups and long term side effects cannot be known
                                (3) he recommends vaccination anyway to protect the kids not from the disease but from the disruption to their lives caused by his recommendations for how society deals with the virus.

Now since then we have learned that the vaccines are not going to give us herd immunity. This is the last plank on which any ethical medical practitioner could reasonably get their head around giving a medical treatment with unknown long term effects to a patient who statistically derives no benefit from it individually.

It appears he will be going down the same route with the latest letter.

"In a very short period of time, we have seen a significant and rapid deterioration in the epidemiological situation, and a resultant very high incidence in the as-yet-unvaccinated 5 – 11-year-old age group. This is a cause for some concern."

"I would also like to note that vaccines are doing an excellent job of preventing severe illness and disease in those who are fully vaccinated. This is really good news, and I welcome the European Medicines Agency (EMA) authorisation of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine for primary school going children (5-11 years). We anticipate receiving further advice from the National Immunisation Advisory Committee (NIAC) in the near future."

Now we know that vaccines are not going to give us herd immunity and do not prevent transmission of the virus. So why would we vaccinate children, when they do not suffer from this disease (I know there are exceptions), the transmission prevention/herd immunity window provided by it is very short and there are variants coming down the tracks that possibly will require more jabs? I just hope to God the introduction of child vaccinations is not accompanied by wider societal measures (such as vaccine passes etc) which essentially force parents to make a decision on it.
                                Please keep posting sense here. It gives me a shimmer of faith in humanity in this absolute hysterical, farcical clusterf*ck. Agreed on all fronts.

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X