• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikerd4 View Post
    I'm sure he will make millions in book deals and appearances aswell
    Or get a bullitt in the brain!

Comment

He was found not guilty by a jury of his peers. End of. That is how the jury system works worldwide whether you like it or not.
      However, it reminds me of a strange case mentioned in a wonderful biography by Maurice Healey; “The Old Munster Circuit.” A judge addresses the accused after the jury has returned a not guilty verdict.
      “Sir. You are free to leave this court without a stain upon your carachter, save that you have been acquitted by a Clonmel jury!”
      Beware of imitations; there's another lawyer out there calling himself "Lucanlaw!" So the writing on the wall may be a forgery!

Comment

Reading the details of what happened and having read the opinions of quite a few lawyers in the USA, I don't think the jury could have decided any other decision. Many feel the prosecution had no chance of a conviction (Rittenhouse had a gun pointed directly at him before he fired himself, chased down by a mob etc.) but it's almost as if they decided to bring the case to trial as they feared more unrest if he wasn't put on trial given the circumstances. The utter bizarre behavior (and incompetence) of the prosecutors probably didn't help things but the outcome was the "correct" decision in yet another horrible situation in the USA.

Comment

Well of course the real culprits here are the police who abdicated their authority to these vigilantes on the night in question. Nobody in the police seems to have asked the question what's the worst that could happen and taken strong preventative measures to avoid the obvious answer to that. Instead they complimented and directly encouraged the likes of an obviously simple minded individual like Rittenhouse telling him "we appreciate you guys". The policeman who said that should be sacked.
          Its a rather basic police practice to keep opposing factions of any protest separated.

I recall various attempts by certain groups of individuals to create Garda no go areas in Limerick city. Quite rightly every barricade that was put up to block entrances to some estates at night were taken down by us immediately.

The minute the police abdicate their authority anarchy soon follows and now this practice has been given the green light by this court decision. So expect more of this to come. Rittenhouse's actions could be the opening shots or Sarajevo moment for the next american civil war as its now open season on protestors as the article in my next post discusses.
          US jury acquits teenager over Kenosha killings in deeply divisive case

Comment

Demonstrators in the US must fear not only police brutality but also rightwing vigilantes

Comment

That's a pretty high horse you are sitting on Alfa. America is a madhouse and normal logic does not apply as it would here or other European areas. This whole case has become a political football.
              the debate on his skin colour meaning he was treated differently overlooked lots of things. The level of partisan reporting made it near impossible to pick the true story.

​​​​​​

Comment

Well it appears he had a film crew from Fox with him through the whole process and will have a prime time interview with Tucker aswell. His lawyer stated he wasn't happy and thought it was very wrong but had no choice as the people paying for the legal defence insisted on it all. I would imagine he is about to make a serious amount of money out of it all.

Comment

Its an asbolute crap show over there. You had legitimate protesters putting out their stall, but then some decided that it needed to turn into burning cars and businesses, losing them sympathy, which caused the right wing group to take arms onto the streets to defend their area. The police, army, reserves, whatever, should have then quashed it all and sent both sides home in a curfew, but didnt.

You then end up with a raging hormoned teenager carrying a fricking assault rifle who feels his area is being burned down by rioters, not protesters. Some rumour goes around about an "active shooter" so the mob turns on him and tries to knock him out and point a gun at him. Anyone who put their hands up and walked away didnt got shot. Anyone who tried to continue the assault on him or point a lethal weapon on him got shot by him in this self defence.

Again, what a crap show, from so many angles, all ending up in those few seconds on a dark street. American society tearing itself apart, dividing and moving further and further away themselves into identity politics. No side can see each others point of view. Only their own.

"He murdered innocent protestors".

"It was self defense and he was only there to protect innocent businesses"

Comment

I am sure we will have the body language / phycologists on you tube shortly analysing Rittenhouse (and his mother who drove him there) to try and rationalise all this. My own opinion is that he is a bit simple. He acted like a 6 year old child in the witness box. See these are the people who Trump energised as well as the already racist cops culminating in the perfect storm for violence and murders. Simple people who can easily be manipulated to do things the manipulators would not dare do themselves. But even Trump a mentally simple person too was in turn manipulated by the Russians. Putin must be loving all this.

I don't buy the sure the USA has always been crazy and let them at it - sure what effect does it have on us here approach. We should be concerned with what's happening in the USA (and the UK) as sooner or later we will come to realise just how it will effect us too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellow View Post
                      Reading the details of what happened and having read the opinions of quite a few lawyers in the USA, I don't think the jury could have decided any other decision. Many feel the prosecution had no chance of a conviction (Rittenhouse had a gun pointed directly at him before he fired himself, chased down by a mob etc.) but it's almost as if they decided to bring the case to trial as they feared more unrest if he wasn't put on trial given the circumstances. The utter bizarre behavior (and incompetence) of the prosecutors probably didn't help things but the outcome was the "correct" decision in yet another horrible situation in the USA.
                      This is my reading of it too - as much as it galls me. Sounds like the prosecution were utterly inept too - one of the victims was recently released from a mental institution, and had stated he wanted to kill someone. The judge had stopped Rittenhouse's team from questioning his mental state, saying it was inconsequential - but when the guys girlfriend went on the stand the prosecution immediately asked if he'd been taking his meds - which then opened up that whole avenue of questioning to the defence.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfaguy View Post
                        I am sure we will have the body language / phycologists on you tube shortly analysing Rittenhouse (and his mother who drove him there) to try and rationalise all this.
                        I'm pretty certain this was proved to be false in the trial...
                        https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...g-him-kenosha/

I didn't follow it just the news reports.

Its become a left vs right, red vs blue thing, another nail in the coffin of America.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfaguy View Post
                          I am sure we will have the body language / phycologists on you tube shortly analysing Rittenhouse (and his mother who drove him there) to try and rationalise all this. My own opinion is that he is a bit simple. He acted like a 6 year old child in the witness box. See these are the people who Trump energised as well as the already racist cops culminating in the perfect storm for violence and murders. Simple people who can easily be manipulated to do things the manipulators would not dare do themselves. But even Trump a mentally simple person too was in turn manipulated by the Russians. Putin must be loving all this.

I don't buy the sure the USA has always been crazy and let them at it - sure what effect does it have on us here approach. We should be concerned with what's happening in the USA (and the UK) as sooner or later we will come to realise just how it will effect us too.
                          Have you watched the footage of what happened during the shooting?

Comment

Originally posted by crazy eyes View Post

Have you watched the footage of what happened during the shooting?
                            Leaving the right the bare arms thing aside and using Irish law,

If I had a gun carried legally or illegally and was attacked by a Mod, and beaten with a skate board I would most certainly shoot.
                            If I killed some one, Would it be considered self defence or Murder or perhaps man slaughter?

I cant remeber the names now but the case of the Old farmer shooting the traveller in the back as he ran away comes to mind.
                            If you have a right to defend yourself, surely that right Trumps every thing else? ( No pun intended)

Comment

Originally posted by Rennwagen View Post

If I had a gun carried legally or illegally and was attacked by a Mod, and beaten with a skate board I would most certainly shoot.
                              If I killed some one, Would it be considered self defence or Murder or perhaps man slaughter?

I cant remeber the names now but the case of the Old farmer shooting the traveller in the back as he ran away comes to mind.
                              If you have a right to defend yourself, surely that right Trumps every thing else? ( No pun intended)
                              I think here it was a case of using excessive force to defend yourself, although how you quantify that i dunno. Bringing a knife to a gun fight maybe...

Comment

Originally posted by Rennwagen View Post

The issue with Paddy Nally was that he went back to his house to reload.
                                https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-26349708.html
                                2005 Alfa 166 2.0TS Grigio Geo - Daily Driver
                                2003 Alfa 156 1.8TS Sportwagon Blu Cosmo
                                2001 Alfa 166 3.0 Proteo Rosso - The Beast - resting for now
                                2000 Alfa 166 2.5 V6 Auto Verde Argo - the Baby
                                1999 Alfa 166 2.5 V6 Grigio Nettuno - Track Car
                                1984 Alfasud 1.5 Gold Cloverleaf Florentine Copper - the other Baby

Comment

Working...
                                X