Header

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Climate change

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by crank_case View Post

    I'd take more unbrage at Boris Johnson lecturing everyone about Climate Change while the UK opens its first new coal mine since the 1980s.
    The problem too is if almost everything that comes out of Boris' mouth is a steaming pile of lies and bluster, he isnt a great one to listen to on this topic. Didnt he vote to allow water companies to pump raw sewage into rivers and the sea about a week ago?

    Comment


    • Originally posted by DMZ View Post

      Having someone driving around is very expensive so the business case for all of these things is very strong. It's called truck roll reduction in industry speak.
      again look at what we did in Ireland.... council collecting rubbish... one truck a week all rubbish collected..... new here we have 4 different companies collecting.... 4 trucks a week, Not to mention separate trucks for general waste, green waste and paper wastes........ even with every second week collections its 4 trucks per week... but its better for the planet.....

      Comment


      • What makes you think it being better for the planet was the motivation?
        I'm with the resistance

        Comment


        • Originally posted by DMZ View Post
          What makes you think it being better for the planet was the motivation?
          i dont..... its another sign of stupidity.... commercial reality it seems will always out weigh doing the right thing... Globally...

          Comment


          • I just copped something, I'm with SSE airtricity, they claim 100% of my bill is from renewables. Why have they risen the price of electricity twice in the past three months? Wind getting more expensive

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Ketron View Post
              I just copped something, I'm with SSE airtricity, they claim 100% of my bill is from renewables. Why have they risen the price of electricity twice in the past three months? Wind getting more expensive
              Those props don't spin themselves you know!!

              We all stood around in a circle naked, thrusting our clinched fists in the air screaming "Jap Power!!"

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Ketron View Post
                I just copped something, I'm with SSE airtricity, they claim 100% of my bill is from renewables. Why have they risen the price of electricity twice in the past three months? Wind getting more expensive
                Presumably they don't control enough generation capacity to serve 100% of customer demand, so they have to go to the market to purchase further renewable capacity.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by -MICK- View Post

                  i dont..... its another sign of stupidity.... commercial reality it seems will always out weigh doing the right thing... Globally...
                  Ok so extending that thinking, there should only be one supermarket so that trucks don’t need to drive to multiple places or one type of car so we don’t waste time and money creating alternatives that might be less efficient, etc? That system was tried for about 40 years or so and I don’t think it was seen as a success or that it delivered any efficiencies what so ever.
                  I'm with the resistance

                  Comment


                  • This might be something for the rant thread more than this, but still.
                    I absolute loathe the climate debate and entire "eco system" about it.

                    I cannot read any science sections of any major newspaper without having the "climate" topic showed in there somewhere.
                    Even planetary exploration and and sub atomic research has to have some climate angle now it seems.

                    Add to that all the various poster ideas like celebrities spending their Saturday lunch picking cans from a beach, or that insufferable girl makes me want to switch the whole thing of and go contrary to the whole idea.
                    "This is a non-contact sport but then so is ice hockey" - Roberto Giordanelli on Irish FIAT Punto racing but applies to all Irish racing..
                    "Tailgaters have small dicks" - Me

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Ketron View Post
                      I just copped something, I'm with SSE airtricity, they claim 100% of my bill is from renewables. Why have they risen the price of electricity twice in the past three months? Wind getting more expensive
                      There is something up with that claim. On a slack night, how do they get 100% renewable energy? I started watching that Michael Moore documentary and it outlines that you can never have 100% renewable energy. Its not cost efficient to store solar energy during they day and wind energy isnt always there, so you need gas plants or the like that can roll on or off quickly to take up the demand if it suddenly goes cloudy or quietens down for an hour on the wind side of things.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by jf_cole View Post

                        There is something up with that claim. On a slack night, how do they get 100% renewable energy? I started watching that Michael Moore documentary and it outlines that you can never have 100% renewable energy. Its not cost efficient to store solar energy during they day and wind energy isnt always there, so you need gas plants or the like that can roll on or off quickly to take up the demand if it suddenly goes cloudy or quietens down for an hour on the wind side of things.
                        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumped...droelectricity

                        "This is a non-contact sport but then so is ice hockey" - Roberto Giordanelli on Irish FIAT Punto racing but applies to all Irish racing..
                        "Tailgaters have small dicks" - Me

                        Comment


                        • I believe SSE is sort of lying but I believe the principle is that as a buyer of electricity, you can decide who you’re buying it from and the grid brings it to you as part of all the other electricity. So it could be that they’re buying just wind, even if I don’t believe it. There are days with virtually no wind. Unless they view the imported electricity as renewable also, which maybe they do seeing as any CO2 will presumably be counted where it’s generated.
                          I'm with the resistance

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by jf_cole View Post

                            There is something up with that claim. On a slack night, how do they get 100% renewable energy? I started watching that Michael Moore documentary and it outlines that you can never have 100% renewable energy. Its not cost efficient to store solar energy during they day and wind energy isnt always there, so you need gas plants or the like that can roll on or off quickly to take up the demand if it suddenly goes cloudy or quietens down for an hour on the wind side of things.
                            The national grid is a big pot that all electricity generators are feeding into. Some will be ramped up and some will be turned down depending on demand and production capabilities.
                            On slack wind days natural gas will be turned up to meet demand. So on any given day every single user on the grid will use the same mix of whatever is available.

                            SSE providing "100% renewable" energy is more an accounting exercise where they will enter a contractual agreement to provide a minimum amount of energy (using renewables) that is equal to the power consumed by its customers. This could be over the course of years.

                            Some days they'll be ahead (and sell wind power to other electricity providers) and some days they'll be behind (and will have to "purchase" electricty from other sources).
                            Last edited by Wrasslers; 02-11-2021, 06:09 PM.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by DMZ View Post

                              Ok so extending that thinking, there should only be one supermarket so that trucks don’t need to drive to multiple places or one type of car so we don’t waste time and money creating alternatives that might be less efficient, etc? That system was tried for about 40 years or so and I don’t think it was seen as a success or that it delivered any efficiencies what so ever.
                              the change to "privateise" bin collections was a financial one... nothing else... but in hindsight has created more CO2 traffic..... not to mention more dangerous traffic into housing estates..... thats all the point is... we are being asked to make small changes.... but government will only make changes that dont cost anything... then Carbon tax will be used to be seen as good European citizens...

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by crank_case View Post

                                I'd take more unbrage at Boris Johnson lecturing everyone about Climate Change while the UK opens its first new coal mine since the 1980s.
                                Opening a coal mine. That's very un-Tory like!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X