Watches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watches

We all stood around in a circle naked, thrusting our clinched fists in the air screaming "Jap Power!!"

Watches- as in tick-tocks....

Nice thing Markcro. Looks like an older case that has been refinished from the marks inside it, but the movement looks a lot newer. They didn't short change you on the luming of the face for sure Unbelieveably low price - must have cost you more than that to get it shipped.

Comment

That's the thing as well- free P&P! Although it took 2 months to get here.
      Yeah some poor kids in a sweat shop covered in lume! At least it is flouressence and not radioactive.
      We all stood around in a circle naked, thrusting our clinched fists in the air screaming "Jap Power!!"

Comment

Just received my 1958 Omega Seamaster back from the watchmaker, after a service. Hadn't been serviced since new, and hadn't been used in 20 years, but was keeping excellent time... however I would have damaged it by using it.

Looking forward to putting a non musty strap on it and using it.

Comment

Beautiful watch meomatic! That is what they called the "linen" dial? Well may you wear it. Where did you get it serviced?

Comment

I'm not sure if it really is the linen dial.

I have seen a few watches advertised with linen dials, and they are a more subtle look, and more criss-crossed.

I have never seen another Omega with this dial.
            Also, the combination of "linen" dial and the crosshair seconds hand seems unusual.

Not saying it's ultra rare, just that I haven't come across them yet.

Anyway, I had it serviced at Michael Swift in Scotland for GBP36 + postage and have no complaints.
            He also did a pocket watch for me, which was GBP48.

He has a waiting list.

Comment

Wow 36 Queen Sheets for a service?!?! :-0 That is bloody cheap! I've one in at the moment and it is costing 120 Queen Sheets... Will have to look him up.
              Well may you wear the Omega as it is a beauty.

Comment

I posted this before, but I will stick it up again in this thread:

To be honest I never had any interest in pocket watches always thinking that they were big and bulky crude things. But I was given this Longines pocket watch as a present from my girlfriend a few months ago. Apart from "having to like it", I actually do. It is really is a thing of beauty when you hold it in your hand. This is my first and only pocket watch but I can really see the attraction!

Her dad knowing that I am into watches told her that his friend wanted to sell this pocket watch. He was given it by his dad decades ago, and his sons have absolutely no interest in it so he decided to sell it and spend the money. She bought it for a song.

Based on it's serial number, it was made in 1912.

Behold a simple thing of beauty..........and 100 years old!

Outter case lid open:

Inner case lid open:

Comment

http://www.muehle-glashuette.de/en/wris ... r-big.html

It's probably a lightly modified Selitta movement, views people?
                  'It's a big enough umbrella, but it's always me that ends up getting wet'

Comment

Originally posted by DubhOg
                    http://www.muehle-glashuette.de/en/wris ... r-big.html

It's probably a lightly modified Selitta movement, views people?

Take a look at dornbluth 99.1 They are German and all. I want to pull the trigger on one but they have a 8 month waiting list

Comment

Lovely looking watch there. It's a pity that the German watch makers don't design their own movements anymore. Yes it would appear that this has an in-house modified Sellita movement. Before using the Sellita they modified ETA movements and before that they used ETA movements as stock.
                      Did you look at Junghan's wares? But do't think that you would be dissappointed with the above. I know that I wouldn't!

Comment

Actually talking of German watches, here is an old repost:

In the 1950s my dad had to leave to go to England to find work. He ended up working and living in England for 20 years before he came home. When he arrived over there and found work he bought himself this watch brand new. He says it was "just a cheap watch but a good time keeper" and as you can see, he gave it a hell alot of use! He gave me it when I was a child to play with but I actually kept it safe. I would wear it when ever my digital watch needed a battery change and was always amazed how accurately it kept the time.
                        Unfortunately a few years ago I was not such a good caretaker of it. And while wearing it out in torrential rain paint balling with a cracked crystal it obviously got a lot of moisture in it. It then sat in a drawer for a few years allowing the stem and crown to corrode and effectively weld themselves to the case. So last year I had the cracked crystal replaced, a new stem and a new crown fitted. But she is now as before, keeping very accurate time. And it looks alot better on my wrist than the photos do it justice as the metal (brass?) brightens up from wearing it where the gold plating has worn off.

Just as a foot note I think it is interesting that I call this a "dress watch" as this was worn while working in factories and on the docks, and going out in the evenings. And it took it all in its stride.

1950s Junghans dress watch.
                        17 Jewels manual movement.
                        Made in Germany.

Comment

That's a nice bit of history there man !!
                          2005 toyota sequoia, 1993 300d, 2009 prius, 1984 Volvo 242 turbo intercooler

Comment

I like the Junghans Max Bill Chrono

Comment

If anyone is interested in Citizen watches, feel free to let me know, I am Citizen reseller and can get you the best price around.
                              5 years Irish warranty
                              http://www.citizenwatch.com/en-ir/#

Comment

Working...
                              X