No announcement yet.

Blowing off steam - The Rant Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've never gotten angsty at a cyclist, even if they made a mistake. Most don't have a license. Yet trodden our busiest roads. No comprehension of road rules or safety. I say this from.a viewpoint of being in our city centre walking and commuting to/from train by car. Plenty have at me as a motorist and a pedestrian, even when they're in the wrong.

I have never once met an angry cyclist in the right.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnRA View Post
      I have never once met an angry cyclist in the right.
      Well, not to your knowledge, you haven't...

Comment

• As both a fat cyclist and terrible driver, i have seen both sides of the issue.

To be fair, you need to get a bit aggressive on the bike or cars and vans will simply drive over you. I myself have had doors thrown open onto me and nearly got squeezed into railings by a bus. You have to stand your ground.
        Yes, its frustrating for a driver to be caught behind a slow moving vehicle, whether it is a bike or a tractor, you tend to take more risks to get around the blockage quickly and be on your way.

The ideal scenario is to segregate traffic and bikes, but that is neither practical nor achievable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Type17 View Post
          Well, not to your knowledge, you haven't...
          To my knowledge?

I drive to a T on the rules of the road.

Never in a rush.

I drive to the mantra I was taught.

We all get there in the end. We're all road users. You're not stuck in traffic, you are traffic.

Not ALL cyclists know the rules of the road. They ride on the presumptions that because they're vulnerable, they're in the right.

"Self preservation" I've never seen.

Even if and when this is the case, cyclists put themselves in to danger and then give moan when they come out the other side unscathed.

Get a camera, take evasive and go to the gardai. Simple as. When a motorist is in the wrong (not me) you're going to come out worse off. Do they want to be a statistic? Is ending up crippled worth being right?

Comment

• I can see were John is coming from and have to agree to a certain extent . When you are a vulnerable road user , you HAVE to be responsible for yourself without question and ok your actions maybe within the law but that ultimately is not what is going reduce your chances of an accident , something that can be learned from motorcyclists ..

Comment

• I say that as both motorist and cyclist. No matter how right I am. To be ed is it worth suffering a serious injury.

Comment

It's rarely self-importance, it's mostly self-preservation - people who make generalisations about other groups influence society's behaviour towards that group, usually for the worse.
                Cyclists who are just trying to use the road often get shouted at/threatened/driven at, based on the vehicle driver's perceptions of "all" cyclists, so it's not surprising that people who make generalisations about cyclists often get called out on it.

/Rant
                By that logic a person on a Motorbike would also be tarred with the same brush ; yet they are not

Self-preservation!, a high proportion of cyclists could do with a course in how to drive defensively not offensively ; stand around Wilton Terrace area, Grand Canal any week day morning , its chaos , they are overtaking , under taking , going through red lights, serious accident waiting to happen ; complete disregard for anybody but themselfs , even other cyclists ; I know some of these people are Car drivers, yet when it comes to getting on a bike their attitude changes

I never got shouted at/threatened/ driven at when I was cycling or on the motorbike ; maybe because I adhere to the rules of the road , yield to pedestrians when they have right of way , I have the awareness to be courteous to other road users/pedestrians. More importantly , awareness of hazards with the intent to avoid at all costs than keep my road position to look for a confrontation

As John said , alot of Cyclists intentionally put themselfs in a very dangerous situations just so they argue they are in the right because they are vulnerable, yet the consequence could be fatal

When I am on a Motorbike or cycling , just because I am vulnerable doesnt make me in the right if another car,truck,bus driver hits me; If a car pulls out on me , I am of the attitude , what can I do better to read the situation and get myself in a safer position so I can increase my reaction time with the goal of avoidance , its my life , If I get hit , its my fault because I have not process the information, had the correct road position , correct speed for the situation!

Cyclists in generally have a piss poor attitude towards other road/footpath users until they themselfs are off the bike
                Last edited by TRD3000GT; 23-02-2018, 07:13 PM.
                Doing it with Twins is better than being Single
                http://www.backroads.ie/forums/showthread.php?7376-TRD3000GT-Project

Comment

• Confirmation bias is a terrible thing... Cyclists are like Micra drivers - you only notice the sh1t ones.

Comment

Confirmation bias is a terrible thing... Cyclists are like Micra drivers - you only notice the sh1t ones.
                    I'll admit the majority of cyclists I come across are city centre based. I live on a popular coastal cycling route. My uncle took up road racing and regularly travels the 30+ km out to here without incident. He's never driven and has no intention to but he decided to do the motorbike theory anyway. He's yet to have an argument on his cycles. Some which I gather can be 80km+.

Comment

• I have a few good chats with a few of them in Laragh ,nice lads, some of their bikes are a work of art! I was asking what speeds they are getting, One of the guys said he was doing 100km/h down the Wicklow Gap, I wouldnt like coming off a motorbike with all the gear never mind what these guys wear

I taught Iwas chuffed with my 70km/hr on my push bike

Comment

• Jaysus john, have a read back over some of your sweeping generalisations , if this wasn't a decent thread in itself this BS would have been rightly nuked.
                        Not sure what the answer to all the angst is but a good idea I've heard is that motorists doing their test should have some cycling built in where possible, to get a sense of the vulnerability you feel and then there's the all important momentum thing which leads to so many oft bemoaned broken lights, intrusion on footpath etc .
                        Also the realisation that 'cycling' lanes ain't all they're cracked up to be.....

Comment

• Foyler, where have I made any sweeping generalisations? I'm being honest and seeing all sides here and there's no need for talk of nuking the thread. Everything is fair and valid. There's feic all cycle lanes in Dublin City centre. It's mayhem. There's plenty going IN to the centre alright. This is not exclusive to roads. Paths are too narrow to accommodate the pedestrians due to the amount of signpost taking over 1/3 of the path.

I treat cyclists as another car, but being a cyclist know how vulnerable they are. We have no figures on the amount of cycles that have passed any sort of test regarding rules of the road. Every other road user has passed such test. Or they wouldn't be on the road.

I've looked back on what I've posted. I don't know how you've picked up what you have.

When you see cyclists running a red light, screaming abuse at wheelchair users having right to cross on green, only to come a T-Junction with another red light and run that aswell in their moment of adrenaline despite it being red and nearly getting cleaned out of it by a Dublin Bus or Taxi that has right of way, you'll see my point of view.

I'd rather someone show me how I'm wrong, than insinuate I'm an eejit talking BS.

As said, I have a drivers license. I have a motorcycle learner license. I'm a cyclist. I take everything in to account.

Comment

• Seriously momentum is your argument for breaking a red light ! At least my mate in work has a valid reason , in certain situations its safer for him to get out of harms way before the light hits green; he has a valid point

But even this morning I saw a cyclist go through a red light onto a 3 laned N11 with full flowing rush hour traffic, at 60KM/r; he did not even look to the right into oncoming traffic, Statistic waiting to happen! The guilt bestowed on the person who hits him from his complete disregard for his own safety is the tragedy

If anybody behaved like that on a motorbike, we would all agree its stupidity and dangerous

Nobody is trying to generalise against cyclists , a high percentage who commute in Dublin city centre do have an aggressive , confrontational attitude

Personally I think alot of these people regardless if they are on a bike or a car will behave in such manner but their actions are governed within Cars due to penalties imposed if they misbehave

I also noticed , Moped drivers of all ages; are suicidal in their actions ; some horrendous dangerous driving , common denominator here appears to be lack of awareness how vulnerable they are ; IBT module around awareness, hazards and road positionc should be mandatory regardless of Bike engine capacity
                            Last edited by TRD3000GT; 24-02-2018, 01:05 AM.

Comment

• Bloody fookin hell.

So the landlord has decided to raise rent. From 700ish, she is asking for 1000.
                              Yeah dream on little lady!

Nothing to do, but search elsewhere, except there is no elsewhere.
                              There is nothing close to what can be called a reasonable level anywhere in the same county, never mind town.

Time to up sticks.
                              "This is a non-contact sport but then so is ice hockey" - Roberto Giordanelli on Irish FIAT Punto racing but applies to all Irish racing..
                              "Tailgaters have small dicks" - Me

Comment

• That's way more than 4%.. why the first thought is to move out ? The law is there for a reason to protect in situations like this. Unless you are not in rent pressure zone. 1000e is still pretty good doesn't matter where you live even under the cardboard boxes they are charging 1400e minimum.
                                Any car that merely takes you from A-B does not go far enough.

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X