X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Type17
    replied
    Originally posted by Bazg2 View Post
    ...I notice a lot of “folk” will go left from the rh approach lane, meaning anyone going straight from the lh lane is a target for these opportunist twats!
    So stupid when you consider that you can behave like a :D:D:D:D safely by going up the right lane, take a full loop around the roundabout (clue is in the name) and take the desired exit anyway...

Leave a comment:

• Bazg2
    replied
    The N7 inbound Kingswood off ramp roundabout always has similar, but I notice a lot of “folk” will go left from the rh approach lane, meaning anyone going straight from the lh lane is a target for these opportunist twats! There was an incident this evening as it happens.

Leave a comment:

• Mike205
    replied
    Originally posted by crank_case View Post

Is it like this every evening?
    Yes, mornings quite often too. It's a nightmare which I am delighted to avoid since I'm working from home, I would never be able to join that time wasting commute

Leave a comment:

• crank_case
    replied
    I don't drive on the M50 of a weeknight very often, but it seems everytime I do, someones had an accident around 6:00 PM-ish, sometimes two.

Is it like this every evening?

The latest today was the sort of accident you normally only see on youtube videos featuring 'muricans. Someone in a little crossover decided they could change lanes right in front of a semi truck and of course just got pushed sideways.

It seems like people are cutting lane changes tighter and tighter, but hey the problem is schpeeeeed right?

Leave a comment:

• admredux
    replied
    Oh stop the lights, one of my kids keeps saying I have to "drawl," a picture! One of his teachers from east, deep east Texas.

The elocution lessons are going to cost a fortune.

Sent from my SM-A525F using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Padrio
    replied
    Originally posted by admredux View Post
    On the whole American content on YouTube being a bit basic and struggling to get to the point it's a cultural thing to me at least.

We come from a particularly high context linguistic background, we leave a lot down to inferring from context/ basing things on social knowledge/ historic knowledge.

American use of English can be high or low context depending on the origins of the presenter. They tend to go low context on YouTube mind. Which for us can seem like stating the obvious, speaking like you would to a 4year old and working in a very linear fashion with delivery ( can make things easyier to track but less stimulation).

It's an interesting place to work for us because remaining high context can make you sharper than the average at least as far appearance is concerned. But you can lose a lot of the audience if you don't spell things out.

Plus English wouldn't be a lot of these lads first languages/ they interact with a lot of folks/ audiences like that, hence why things are slower/ more drawn out.

5 minutes of GOONSQUAD and you’ll be saying “I seen”, “I done”, “Dude” and “Dang” like a hillbilly

Leave a comment:

• admredux
    replied
    On the whole American content on YouTube being a bit basic and struggling to get to the point it's a cultural thing to me at least.

We come from a particularly high context linguistic background, we leave a lot down to inferring from context/ basing things on social knowledge/ historic knowledge.

American use of English can be high or low context depending on the origins of the presenter. They tend to go low context on YouTube mind. Which for us can seem like stating the obvious, speaking like you would to a 4year old and working in a very linear fashion with delivery ( can make things easyier to track but less stimulation).

It's an interesting place to work for us because remaining high context can make you sharper than the average at least as far appearance is concerned. But you can lose a lot of the audience if you don't spell things out.

Plus English wouldn't be a lot of these lads first languages/ they interact with a lot of folks/ audiences like that, hence why things are slower/ more drawn out.

Leave a comment:

• Cold
    replied
    That €5o credit is from Electric Ireland and not the ESB, by the way. So only Electric Ireland customers get it.

Leave a comment:

• Flet
    replied
    Mike205 also, the median age in 1995 was 30.1 and 38.2 in 2020.

Now here's another one. My regular as clockwork Electric Ireland bill that normally comes 2 days before Christmas and has done since I started paying my own bills this year took until 4th January which was conveniently after the €50 ESB credit and the 2nd Govt €200 credit was applied to the account. I imagine our definitely not populist Government definitely had nothing to do with that one.

In any case between the end Oct credits and the two most recent ones our biggest bill of the year was covered in full and I can now go and buy a new free iPhone or something.
    Last edited by Flet; 06-01-2023, 02:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Cold
    replied
    Originally posted by crank_case View Post

Haha, the thought did cross my mind in fairness.

It's definitely an American thing, but the US dominates English speaking youtube content so everyone over time sort adopts the conventions they establish, I've seen youtube vids with people from the UK that adopt a similar thing.

Yourself and Traco both mention about people "getting to the point" and I agree getting to the point is good, but talking quicker doesn't actually help you get your point across quicker.

What it feels like is the algorithm tells them x amount of people won't watch videos over x number of minutes which becomes a magic number, and rather than try and adopt the format of the video to their allotted time, they try cram as much in in that time.

If you haven't got the time without sounding rushed, either cut your content and split it across multiple videos, or just make your video as long as it needs to be.

Tom Scott would be a perfect example of someone who understands pacing, he never sounds rushed, he sounds relaxed and normal, but he's well able to make his point, on sometimes complex subjects, and frequently in videos that are quite short.
    I could be completely wrong but I have assumed that the game is in creating longer videos with more drawn out stuff so more ads are shown. I haven't exactly studied it but I think I find with YouTuber types who are primarily making their money from ads that the content quantity is extremely low and the amount of waffle is extremely high with lots of repetition of what little they have to say. I'm sometimes impressed that so many minutes can be spent on so little. Of course I end up skipping after a few seconds in order to try to find something of value and that little indicator YouTube has now where it shows where people watch the most is helpful. You can't avoid the ads by doing the skipping, though. A lot of car reviewers put in chapters now which is helpful so you can skip the 10 mins of walking around the car, the 5 mins of sitting in the seats, the 12 mins of talking about the infotainment, to get to the three mins about how the car drives, and even better the two minute conclusion at the end.

With that in mind, I don't see how shorter videos could be of benefit to the content creator? It should be of benefit to the viewer for sure.

Americans do present in a certain way and I think that's what you're mostly irritated by. I can't say I like it much either and tbh I very rarely watch US content of any kind. The flip side, by the way, is that they find us extremely well spoken as a general rule.

Leave a comment:

• Mike205
    replied
    I could post this rant every year since I remember and I'm pretty sure I can post it next year and year after that too

Leave a comment:

• crank_case
    replied
    Originally posted by Cold View Post
    I think you guys are referring to "Americans", lol
    Haha, the thought did cross my mind in fairness.

It's definitely an American thing, but the US dominates English speaking youtube content so everyone over time sort adopts the conventions they establish, I've seen youtube vids with people from the UK that adopt a similar thing.

Yourself and Traco both mention about people "getting to the point" and I agree getting to the point is good, but talking quicker doesn't actually help you get your point across quicker.

What it feels like is the algorithm tells them x amount of people won't watch videos over x number of minutes which becomes a magic number, and rather than try and adopt the format of the video to their allotted time, they try cram as much in in that time.

If you haven't got the time without sounding rushed, either cut your content and split it across multiple videos, or just make your video as long as it needs to be.

Tom Scott would be a perfect example of someone who understands pacing, he never sounds rushed, he sounds relaxed and normal, but he's well able to make his point, on sometimes complex subjects, and frequently in videos that are quite short.

Leave a comment:

• Wrasslers
    replied
    I think Doug used to be better, then he really just started leaning into the jokes people made about him. I unsubbed, just don't care enough to suffer through his schtick.

He gets things surprisingly wrong at times, but his shooting schedule is insane and he only gets like an hour with the car before shooting the video.

Anyway, he's making good money with that auction site he set up. Maybe he doesn't care as much about YouTube.
    ​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• Cold
    replied
    I think you guys are referring to "Americans", lol

Leave a comment:

• crank_case
    replied
    Originally posted by davkav View Post

Funnily enough, I tried to watch this video at lunch and had to turn it off after a few mins. It was unbearable. It does seem to be the norm for certain channels now.
    Yep, that persistently amazed and excited by everything high pitched tone for a whole vid, at 300mph

Leave a comment:

Bottom of thread

Collapse
Working...
X