X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crank_case
    replied
    Originally posted by natnif View Post

3 - I've never had a scotch egg. Should I?
    Probably not if you care about your arteries in fairness.

Like most Scottish/Irish favorites it's deep fried but delicious nihilism in a way.

Leave a comment:

• natnif
    replied
    Originally posted by crank_case View Post
    I suppose I ought to start a "minor grumbles" thread but todays minor annoyances..
    1. The obsession with "apps" but not having the option to use a companies services via a decently laid out website that can be used in any browser. I'm at home, why would I want to look at things on a tiny screen in some crappy unresponsive android app instead of in a browser on a hooj 4k monitor? ..or indeed a chromebook/laptop?
    2. Whoever thought popcorn ceilings were brilliant in the 70s/80s even 90s needs a good hard slap.. twice.
    3. I can't get Scotch Eggs in Tesco anymore.
    1 - I totally agree. I have arthritis in my hands...it's not terrible (yet) but whenever possible, I'll avoid typing on a phone. It bugs the crap out of me when it's optimised for phones and barely works on a computer. It also just strikes me as really lazy.
    2 - They are the devil's work. Thanfully, I moved house before having to deal with them!
    3 - I've never had a scotch egg. Should I?

Leave a comment:

• crank_case
    replied
    Yeah, I'm sure homebrew ones are the biz, and maybe I will sometime, but there was nothing like picking some up in tesco on a whim for a treat.

Leave a comment:

• Flet
    replied
    Originally posted by crank_case View Post
    I can't get Scotch Eggs in Tesco anymore.
    Try making them yourself.

I was up in the Orkneys one time on my NW500 trip. Took the boat out, had hoped to rent a car but what had docked only a giant cruise ship and there were no cars or bikes to be got anywhere. There were also no seats in restaurants, no guided tours available and everywhere you turned there were hundreds of people in a really small community. It was frustrating and so I retired to the nearest half decent pub for a pint in the hope that the boat would leave. I sat into The Auld Motor Hoose, ordered a pint of local ale and after a bit of chat a fella at the bar offered me a Scotch Egg. He'd made a few before coming down to the pub, from his own eggs, soft boiled, some sausage meat he'd got from a butcher and added a bit more seasoning to and breadcrumbs off his own leftover bread.

It was outrageously good, honest to god one of the nicest things I'd ever eaten made even better by the kindness of another person and I resolved to never eat another processed one again. I've made a few on a couple of occasions in the spirit of the chap who gave me one, say if a few of us were going out to watch a match etc. and they always go down a treat.

They're not that difficult to make even without a fryer, you need about 5cm of oil in a pan and do them one side at a time. A temp probe is handy tho.

Leave a comment:

• crank_case
    replied
    I suppose I ought to start a "minor grumbles" thread but todays minor annoyances..
    1. The obsession with "apps" but not having the option to use a companies services via a decently laid out website that can be used in any browser. I'm at home, why would I want to look at things on a tiny screen in some crappy unresponsive android app instead of in a browser on a hooj 4k monitor? ..or indeed a chromebook/laptop?
    2. Whoever thought popcorn ceilings were brilliant in the 70s/80s even 90s needs a good hard slap.. twice.
    3. I can't get Scotch Eggs in Tesco anymore.

Leave a comment:

• Mike205
    replied
    Originally posted by GeeTI View Post

That's something that I have always done, not necessarily just for roadworks, but for any obstruction on the road ahead.
    My reasoning for doing it is due to many drivers appearing to be driving on autopilot /brain switched off mode and not wanting them to be ploughing up the rear of my car.
    I thought "baby on board" sticker is for that reason. It's proven that when you have that sticker on it is impossible to get rear ended.

Leave a comment:

• foyler
    replied
    Absolutely Gee & around here where the tailbacks can encompass a blind bend or two - its almost mandatory if you don't want to be rear ended.
    I'd regularly leave a good 50 yards in front to allow me move into if anyone arrives flet.
    On one particularly bad bend with a brutal , greasy surface I actually did my own dodgy move by reversing back around the corner when I came upon the tailback just beyond the apex.
    I'd arrived lively enough so was confidentish I wasn't making things worse....

Leave a comment:

• GeeTI
    replied
    Originally posted by charlie View Post
    OK, this is just a small one but it annoys the hell out of me. Putting hazard lights on coming up to roadworks. If I haven't seen the roadwork signs for the last kilometer, the line of traffic stopped and your brake lights are on then I you are already foooked. Your hazard lights are not going to make any difference. You are a hazard for putting them on but the situation is not a hazard lights situation.
    Thank you for listening, that's a weight lifted off my shoulders.
    That's something that I have always done, not necessarily just for roadworks, but for any obstruction on the road ahead.
    My reasoning for doing it is due to many drivers appearing to be driving on autopilot /brain switched off mode and not wanting them to be ploughing up the rear of my car.

Leave a comment:

• charlie
    replied
    OK, this is just a small one but it annoys the hell out of me. Putting hazard lights on coming up to roadworks. If I haven't seen the roadwork signs for the last kilometer, the line of traffic stopped and your brake lights are on then I you are already foooked. Your hazard lights are not going to make any difference. You are a hazard for putting them on but the situation is not a hazard lights situation.
    Thank you for listening, that's a weight lifted off my shoulders.

Leave a comment:

• crank_case
    replied
    Originally posted by foyler View Post
    Yeah cos everyone hates fireworks.....right
    No-one particularly minds fireworks for about an hour. You would mind it if they were being set off in the enclosed spaces and reverb chamber that's a street of terraced houses for hours at a time and people have been letting off fireworks almost every night since the end of September. It's a bit much. You absolutely shouldn't be letting fireworks off inside a built up residential area near anyones house for pretty obvious reasons.

I'm with you on people buying mountains of disposable novelty tat that will end up in landfill, much like the upcoming Christmas season, then they go back to acting like they're paid up members of Greenpeace in January, but that's another rant..

Leave a comment:

• fast focus
    replied
    Jesus happy I don’t live in Dublin if that’s the case… we had loads of little faces to the door last night lovely bit of excitement for the wet day that was in it. All innocent fun. It’s horrible the way some kids are brought up that anything is an excuse for firing bricks and causing mayhem. The most we did when we were past trick or treat was set off a few black cats in the woods.

Leave a comment:

• foyler
    replied
    Yeah cos everyone hates fireworks.....right

Seeing as I'm in here, its the turning it into a week long commercial festival of buying cheap chinese plastic shite that bothers me.
    Also Built not Bought FTW, but not much in evidence.
    At least you two didn't have to do laps of the town on a gimpy , crumbling hip!

Leave a comment:

• crank_case
    replied
    Originally posted by Flet View Post
    All our neighbours are elderly or of an age where their kids have kids so there's zero trick or treating. There's also zero craic, or zero schneef for that matter.
    My neighbourhood was like that when I moved in first. There's quite a few older people on my street and people whose kids have kids. but some of those kids and their kids live with Mammy and Daddy despite holding down full time jobs because Dublin housing is a joke which sucks for everyone really. One or two of the houses were sold and a few younger families moved and the balance tips fairly fast.

Enjoy the quiet when you have it.

Probably a lot of my aversion to this time of year is growing up in a pretty rough council estate where they just skipped the trick or treating and went straight for the old bricks in your window, because #justscrotethings reasons, so I'm always kinda twitchy this time of year even if its just some overenthusiastic 8 year olds, sort of residual PTSD.

What really gets me is the fireworks though.

Last edited by crank_case; 01-11-2022, 12:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Flet
    replied
    All our neighbours are elderly or of an age where their kids have kids so there's zero trick or treating. There's also zero craic, or zero schneef for that matter.

Leave a comment:

• crank_case
    replied
    Originally posted by hi-rev View Post
    You must live in a posh place. I only ever got to experience the second part.

Leave a comment:

Bottom of thread

Collapse
Working...
X