No announcement yet.

Blowing off steam - The Rant Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm sure you know this already but Irish women are a sacred species that operate above the law. Or they collectively set the laws. I'm not entirely sure how it works but they can certainly do whatever they want.

I had to laugh at that story about some woman (in Kerry I think) who was stopped a second time without a driver's license (or insurance) and her outraged question to the Garda at the scene was how was she supposed to get the kids to school without driving?

Comment

• I assume random rants are OK for this thread?

My current rant topic is clients who use Whats App. I have just received one saying I have sent you an email. I get the same message by email and What's App. I have the weak privacy settings so someone can tell when I was last on What's App. I find this useful for knowing when my under 18 daughter was last on the phone. I'm not stalking her, I'm responsible for her welfare. And I don't mind using it to know when my 18 year old son was last on the phone because in theory he's an adult but in reality I have to run a cover mission.

But now this is mixing business and personal contacts and it is driving me utterly fu[king bats. I already said please don't use What's App as it makes a mess of my file maintenance protocols. And still. I..get...a....message...saying...I...have...sent.. .you...an...email.

sigpichttps://mingshitters.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Reply by email, saying "I know."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ming View Post
          I assume random rants are OK for this thread?

My current rant topic is clients who use Whats App. I have just received one saying I have sent you an email. I get the same message by email and What's App. I have the weak privacy settings so someone can tell when I was last on What's App. I find this useful for knowing when my under 18 daughter was last on the phone. I'm not stalking her, I'm responsible for her welfare. And I don't mind using it to know when my 18 year old son was last on the phone because in theory he's an adult but in reality I have to run a cover mission.

But now this is mixing business and personal contacts and it is driving me utterly fu[king bats. I already said please don't use What's App as it makes a mess of my file maintenance protocols. And still. I..get...a....message...saying...I...have...sent.. .you...an...email.
          Just reply with "so?"
          There's no light, There's only fire!

Comment

• The pandemic is responsible for this. In the case of my work, the cyber attack last year made it even worse. Work and personal contact methods have become so jumbled up. It's not OK.
            "All the finesse of a badger." (cdiv)

Comment

Apologies, I will text you next time to inform you I just sent you an email.

Comment

• I’m not fully sure I understand the problem but I have a personal phone and a work phone to separate these concerns and have had this since like forever. With the 24/7 working life it’s handy to be able to switch off but I also don’t like having IT’s mandated spyware on my own phone because I like to be able to say and do whatever I feel like without running any risks with work as a result. And it means I keep all the work stuff in one place.

We use WhatsApp a lot in work seeing as it’s a more direct way to communicate and gets past all the IT bullshit and no international rates. Also with clients and vendors. In the US a lot of people don’t have international dialling plans so very handy way to work around all of that.

Comment

• Perhaps pretty obvious but we also use "Find my" in the family so everyone knows where everyone is. Probably useful if someone goes missing but also generally just useful as it cuts out all the "where are you" and makes picking kids up pretty easy.

Comment

Why on earth are you using a work phone number for private and personal stuff though?

Most modern handsets accommodate twin SIM setup. At least I think they do to save you the hassle of carrying two handsets! I know OnePlus have in all the models Ive used. Ive a UK mobile number and an Irish mobile on the one handset.

One handset means dedicated personal number to Whatsapp. So Whatsapp work isnt connected whatseover.

Comment

• Just reply with.... K, it’s the utmost teenagery couldn’t give shite response and it drives people batshit crazy, or block them, that’s allowed
                      I’m standing in a field full of sheep, is it wrong that I feel aroused?? 🤨🤪

Comment

• Yeah, dual SIM is definitely the way to keep things separate. Even better if you setup a second (work) profile and keep everything dedicated to that profile. I think that may be android only though - I don't think Apple allow multiple user profiles, but haven't checked in a long time so maybe they changed things.

But using WhatsApp for personal stuff and WhatsApp Business for work stuff on an iPhone will allow you to use 2 separate WhatsApp numbers, and different privacy settings on each WA account.
                        Last edited by deltona; 02-06-2022, 06:12 PM.

Comment

• 2 phones/2 sims is the only way. Best thing is you can leave the work one down at 5pm or whatever nd not pick up the next work day.
                          https://www.picfair.com/users/MarkT128/

Comment

• Yeah I've 2 phones for this specific reason.

Comment

• Cannot be bothered maintaining two batteries.

Meanwhile I’m so so sick of being stuck in stationary traffic next to empty fu@[king bicycle lanes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              sigpichttps://mingshitters.wordpress.com/

Comment

• I’m not sure if you southsiders know Griffith Avenue one of the longest tree lined avenues in Europe. They have added a bicycle lane on both sides of the road protected by poles . Car parking is outside the bike lane, so further reducing the road available to motor transport.

ok, I don’t have an objection to cycle lanes, but I drove up the avenue to Glasnevin at a non peak line, a trip that should be about 10 to 15 minutes. It took me 35 minutes.

most of the problem is at the junctions of the main roads. The cycle lane runs all the way to about two meters to the junctions. Any motorised transport trying to make an left turn has to take a wide turn to make the corner, which means the only about 3 to 4 vehicles ‘make’ the traffic lights.

the ironic thing is, that in the 35 minutes I was stuck in traffic, I saw not one cyclist in either direction, not one!

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X