Header

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blowing off steam - The Rant Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Tristan View Post
    Unrelated to anything else.. But I'm sick to me hoop of having such a backlog of work ahead of me at all times.
    Seriously considering if not a career change, a modification to the existing one.
    Come in and work with us Tristan... worst job gone out the door in 30 mins, proper lunch breaks, click the clock out button on the way out the door and 9 weeks paid holidays most years. There is drawbacks of course cranky customers and the monotony. Can't win them all though

    Comment


    • Originally posted by fast focus View Post

      Come in and work with us Tristan... worst job gone out the door in 30 mins, proper lunch breaks, click the clock out button on the way out the door and 9 weeks paid holidays most years. There is drawbacks of course cranky customers and the monotony. Can't win them all though
      Given the current backlog for tests this might be win/win eh?
      2005 Alfa 166 2.0TS Grigio Geo - Daily Driver
      2001 Alfa 166 3.0 Proteo Rosso - The Beast - resting for now
      2000 Alfa 166 2.5 V6 Auto Verde Argo - the Baby
      1999 Alfa 166 2.5 V6 Grigio Nettuno - Track Car
      1984 Alfasud 1.5 Gold Cloverleaf Florentine Copper - the other Baby

      Comment


      • Can’t get staff the same as everyone else plus I’d be delighted to have Tristan working with me.

        The backlog isn’t as bad as it seems if people ring they are getting in. I can see how long ago they have booked the car in most are in the 14-21 day range. If people just showed up to their appointments it would be half the battle.

        Comment


        • If I had my time again, I don't know if I'd go into the self employed route that I'm in now. Intel or similar would be hard to pass up.

          Intel have apparently taken 60 mechanics out garages in the Midlands and East. No wonder there's so few in the trade. And who'd blame them at around 1250 or more a week, into their hands.

          ​​
          www.PatHoranMotors.com

          E39 M5, Mk2 GTI, Mk1 GTI, E30, Caddy vanyadda yadda

          Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by fast focus View Post
            Can’t get staff the same as everyone else plus I’d be delighted to have Tristan working with me.

            The backlog isn’t as bad as it seems if people ring they are getting in. I can see how long ago they have booked the car in most are in the 14-21 day range. If people just showed up to their appointments it would be half the battle.
            Very diplomatic there Paul, I'm sure if I was there, I'd be working FOR you
            www.PatHoranMotors.com

            E39 M5, Mk2 GTI, Mk1 GTI, E30, Caddy vanyadda yadda

            Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.

            Comment


            • I seen an ad for intel this morning on my Facebook feed and know a few guys working there. It’s a great prospect but it’s all in Dublin isn’t it? Vistakon is another one that has taken a lot of tradesmen. Can’t say I blame the lads they offer great pay and conditions.

              Defiantly not Tristan I don’t see it that way I’m just there for someone to blame when something goes wrong.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by fast focus View Post
                Can’t get staff the same as everyone else plus I’d be delighted to have Tristan working with me.

                The backlog isn’t as bad as it seems if people ring they are getting in. I can see how long ago they have booked the car in most are in the 14-21 day range. If people just showed up to their appointments it would be half the battle.
                I've two 166s in the queue. First one joined April 25th and the second today.
                The no show bit wrecks my head.
                2005 Alfa 166 2.0TS Grigio Geo - Daily Driver
                2001 Alfa 166 3.0 Proteo Rosso - The Beast - resting for now
                2000 Alfa 166 2.5 V6 Auto Verde Argo - the Baby
                1999 Alfa 166 2.5 V6 Grigio Nettuno - Track Car
                1984 Alfasud 1.5 Gold Cloverleaf Florentine Copper - the other Baby

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Tristan View Post
                  If I had my time again, I don't know if I'd go into the self employed route that I'm in now. Intel or similar would be hard to pass up.

                  Intel have apparently taken 60 mechanics out garages in the Midlands and East. No wonder there's so few in the trade. And who'd blame them at around 1250 or more a week, into their hands.

                  ​​
                  To be fair, heard of a few mechanics heading for Intel and the Garage wasnt dissapointed to see them go.....Apparently the next generation of apprentice's leave a lot to be desired

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by fast focus View Post
                    I seen an ad for intel this morning on my Facebook feed and know a few guys working there. It’s a great prospect but it’s all in Dublin isn’t it? Vistakon is another one that has taken a lot of tradesmen. Can’t say I blame the lads they offer great pay and conditions.

                    Defiantly not Tristan I don’t see it that way I’m just there for someone to blame when something goes wrong.
                    outskirts of Dublin, Leixlip, had short spell there but I’m not in any expert trade, was just contracted in logistics. I’ve a friend working their 20 years or more. It’s proper serious work in some areas, chemicals that’ll strip you to the core if you’re not careful, but the full long week, could be more nowadays, of health and safety introductions/orientation will ensure your well versed and you’ll never spill a cup of tea again
                    I’m standing in a field full of sheep, is it wrong that I feel aroused?? 🤨🤪

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Tristan View Post

                      Intel have apparently taken 60 mechanics out garages in the Midlands and East. No wonder there's so few in the trade. And who'd blame them at around 1250 or more a week, into their hands.

                      ​​
                      There aren’t any mechanics starting in intel on €120k plus before tax, it seems starting salary is around €45k plus shift allowance and overtime, plus lots of additional benefits such as health insurance, stock plans and bonuses.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by miller View Post

                        To be fair, heard of a few mechanics heading for Intel and the Garage wasnt dissapointed to see them go.....Apparently the next generation of apprentice's leave a lot to be desired
                        There's truth in that.
                        www.PatHoranMotors.com

                        E39 M5, Mk2 GTI, Mk1 GTI, E30, Caddy vanyadda yadda

                        Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Neilo View Post

                          There aren’t any mechanics starting in intel on €120k plus before tax, it seems starting salary is around €45k plus shift allowance and overtime, plus lots of additional benefits such as health insurance, stock plans and bonuses.
                          I don't doubt that Neil, and I'd believe you before many others.
                          What I heard was they're not line workers, or factory employees per se, rather they're involved with getting the new plant up and running.
                          www.PatHoranMotors.com

                          E39 M5, Mk2 GTI, Mk1 GTI, E30, Caddy vanyadda yadda

                          Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Tristan View Post

                            I don't doubt that Neil, and I'd believe you before many others.
                            What I heard was they're not line workers, or factory employees per se, rather they're involved with getting the new plant up and running.
                            The mechanics being hired by intel will be “line workers” as you put it. The new plant isn’t up and running yet so the new employees would be working on projects for start up and then will be factory employees with all the benefits of shift work and night shift.

                            Comment


                            • I don't know the correct terminology / job titles, having only ever worked at home.
                              www.PatHoranMotors.com

                              E39 M5, Mk2 GTI, Mk1 GTI, E30, Caddy vanyadda yadda

                              Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.

                              Comment


                              • Meh 45k isn't a massive amount these days is it? It's an alright wage don't get me wrong but not blow your socks off money. Especially wouldn't get you far in Dublin as far as the cost of living goes. I, like tristan had heard the wages are massive up there but I reckon lads are embellishing a little. I certainly wouldn't do any night time work for that.

                                Comment

                                Bottom of thread

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X